Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2015, 09:53 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie143 View Post
Old news for you experienced dp owners but learning slowly for me.

Drove 1200 miles from Oklahoma to Tucson, AZ just to look at mhs. Pedata to be exact. We went I-40 to I-25 to I-10. 40 & 25 was so boring, nothing but desert and mountains for 800 miles, that I wanted to turn around and go back home. Keep in mind I was in my car doing 75 mph. I cannot imagine doing it at 62-65 mph.

But alas

We bought a dp and now we are going to learn patience and stop and smell the desert flowers.

If you pass a guy walking around his dp kicking rocks you will know I am still learning patience.

headed back Feb 15 from tucson.

Keep an eye on the weather. They are calling for freezing precipitation Sunday night and Monday night here in oklahoma!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2015, 09:58 AM   #16
RVM #74

Tiffin Owners Club
I've driven from Philly to Key West about 1/2 a dozen times, know every bump in the road, and really it is much easier and relaxing going 65 in the MH now than it was going 75 in the car. With all of the comfort and distractions (wife, dogs etc) the trip seems really short and I actually enjoy it now. Guess that the old saying is true, in a Motorhome the vacation starts when you pull out of the driveway.

Old 02-14-2015, 10:03 AM   #17
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Drove 1200 miles from Oklahoma to Tucson, AZ just to look at mhs. Pedata to be exact. We went I-40 to I-25 to I-10. 40 & 25 was so boring, nothing but desert and mountains for 800 miles, that I wanted to turn around and go back home. Keep in mind I was in my car doing 75 mph. I cannot imagine doing it at 62-65 mph.

But alas
We bought a dp and now we are going to learn patience and stop and smell the desert flowers.
If you pass a guy walking around his dp kicking rocks you will know I am still learning patience.
Now you'll remember the old saying "stop and smell the roses" !

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:21 AM   #18
Just south of Twin Cities

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Last Spring we came north to Branson from Little Rock on Hwy 65. You must have patience. The highway curves and twists through the Ozarks and it is very hard to get over 50 mph. You go down a hill and at the bottom is a 30 mph curve with a bridge. Then you grind up the next hill with a string of cars following patiently behind you. Eventually they do have passing lanes.

The scenery is spectacular but you have to watch the road very carefully. My Wife covered her eyes a good deal of the time, and when I saw a really nice valley off our side she refused to look.

A friend of mine drove it a few years ago in a class C and the whole time his wife was in back with a migraine and crying.

I don't want to go that way again.
2015 Ford Explorer Blue Ox tow bar, AF1
Cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 10:41 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

But alas
Do you live in Oklahoma ? If so there are some nice campgrounds in Ok but there are some beautiful ones in Arkansas. Petit Jean Mountain, Bull Shoals, I really should not say this because it is one of my favorite camp grounds and I do not need competition for a space but the Beaver Lake campground is beautiful.

I have driven the same route you talk about. Was the first long trip I took in my MH. I drove to Los Angeles. I understand getting there fast also. Oklahoma was the place where the nice young policeman stopped me doing 95 in my porsche. He told me how lucky I was that i was not doing over 100 because then they take you to jail. It is not a ticket. I wisely decided not to tell him that i had slowed down for the I-40 bridge he was next to. I was very glad he was on the west side of that bridge and not the east. Back to your route. I had a very different experience than you talk about. You should try reading "Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance" gives you a different perspective on traveling. The book talks about driving in a car and how the windows make every thing look like a TV screen because of their small size ( written before 80 inch televisions were available) I find that the huge front window of the MH allows me to see much more scenery than i ever saw in a car. If you want to know what is meant by purple mountain majesty take the route you took in the car and look at the mountains through the picture window that is your windshield. I agree with the other poster at 75 in the car you were just commuting. I am not sure who gave the advice that you can do 75 in the MH just pay a lot in diesel. They might want to look at the speed rating of their tires or if they pull a toad the speed rating of the tow bar. But to be honest if you are not admiring the view having a MH is very expensive. I did the math years before i bought mine and waited ten years to buy it because it is a very expensive way to travel. Unless you live in your MH for ten years you will not get the payback of the purchase price. That is not figureing diesel fuel or campground fees into the payback period. I finally decided I wanted the comfort of having a MH versus staying in Hotels before i decided to purchase mine. If you do live in Oklahoma try the trip to Petit Jean state park. It is in the center of the state and is a beautiful place to camp but make sure you have a reservation. There is a lot of people from Texas, Oklahoma, Tennessee as well as Arkansas that use the park. During the weekend i have had trouble getting a reservation in January.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:29 AM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The ultimate form of travel in my mind is in the saddle of a motorcycle. I have been touring on motorcycles for years and every trip is different. Talk about scenery. you're surrounded by it and the elements. Now that I'm over 60 and a little wiser I keep my two wheeled rides within 150 miles of home. No more 10 day runs, or 3500 mile trips. Our motorhome has taught me a slower gentler form of travel. Having the huge windshield and side to side view is enjoyable. Better yet if we get tired the Mrs and I find a nice rest area and pull over for a two hour nap and something to eat. As long as we get to our destination for the day sometime around supper we're happy.

It's not all about the destination it's about the journey as well and enjoying it. That's something I learned from motorcycling. I keep the 460 at 55-65 mph depending on the terrain and we don't have a toad. If we need a car we rent one at our destination. The pups require frequent pit stops so that regulates the amount of time I spend behind the wheel as well. Patience is something that didn't come easy for me as a young man, now it's something to enjoy.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:32 AM   #21
doc

Appalachian Campers
I'm with Okie, desert like I see in Wyoming from Cody area to the Big Horns is boring.
Some the SW deserts are less boring, but not my favorite ride. I guess I am a green grass, trees, rivers and stream type
Old 02-15-2015, 09:45 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaky View Post
The ultimate form of travel in my mind is in the saddle of a motorcycle. I have been touring on motorcycles for years and every trip is different. Talk about scenery. you're surrounded by it and the elements. Now that I'm over 60 and a little wiser I keep my two wheeled rides within 150 miles of home. No more 10 day runs, or 3500 mile trips. Our motorhome has taught me a slower gentler form of travel. Having the huge windshield and side to side view is enjoyable. Better yet if we get tired the Mrs and I find a nice rest area and pull over for a two hour nap and something to eat. As long as we get to our destination for the day sometime around supper we're happy.
I agree about the motorcycle traveling, now that we are older we take our bikes with us in an enclosed trailer. Then do our local touring, for me riding the bike is the best for relaxing and winding down.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:09 AM   #23

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
All in the perspective and what you're used to when it comes to scenery.

I grew up in the Mojave Desert. Never really thought it was much to look at, but lots of places to ride dirt bikes and drive Jeeps.

In my mid 20's I went to Seattle for the 1st time and fell in love with all those mountains, lakes and evergreen trees. It was summer, sunny and in the mid 80's. Not typical Seattle.

I moved there the following year. Soon I began to take the greenery for granted. Then I went back to the desert. WOW!

How did I miss all the things there were to see there? The beauty of it all. Where did all those browns and reds and yellows come from. I just remembered all the sage brush, tumble weeds, Santa Anna winds and brown dirt everywhere.

I went east and saw all of those rolling hills, oaks and maples. When fall came around I was stunned. I had no idea the variety of coloring. Old farms and buildings, the historical sites. WOW! Then came the snow! Even that can be a wonder not just a pain in the rear.

I went back to Seattle. I had forgotten how stunning it was the first time I saw it.

Ever been to Montana? Big Sky indeed! Takes a long time in any vehicle to cross that state.

Point is, it's all beautiful when things come into perspective.

But to really enjoy the drive, you have to lose the 3 day weekend camping trip mentality. If you don't, you miss the show right outside the window. The Grand Canyon becomes an obstacle rather than a wonder.

Just my two cents, which wont even buy a gumball anymore.
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 10:13 AM   #24

That drive out 40 looked pretty bleak the first time I traveled it, Then I took the time to really see it. That stretch from Albuquerque to Gallup at first glance looked like old roadbed along side the highway, then we stopped & it seems to be an ancient lava bed. Huge jackrabbits, where do they get enough to eat out there? And to see the desert in bloom after a rain is truely awesome,but then so is most everything you see when you "stop to smell the roses".
Old 02-15-2015, 10:45 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
All in the perspective and what you're used to when it comes to scenery.

I grew up in the Mojave Desert. Never really thought it was much to look at, but lots of places to ride dirt bikes and drive Jeeps.

In my mid 20's I went to Seattle for the 1st time and fell in love with all those mountains, lakes and evergreen trees. It was summer, sunny and in the mid 80's. Not typical Seattle.

I moved there the following year. Soon I began to take the greenery for granted. Then I went back to the desert. WOW!

How did I miss all the things there were to see there? The beauty of it all. Where did all those browns and reds and yellows come from. I just remembered all the sage brush, tumble weeds, Santa Anna winds and brown dirt everywhere.

I went east and saw all of those rolling hills, oaks and maples. When fall came around I was stunned. I had no idea the variety of coloring. Old farms and buildings, the historical sites. WOW! Then came the snow! Even that can be a wonder not just a pain in the rear.

I went back to Seattle. I had forgotten how stunning it was the first time I saw it.

Ever been to Montana? Big Sky indeed! Takes a long time in any vehicle to cross that state.

Point is, it's all beautiful when things come into perspective.

But to really enjoy the drive, you have to lose the 3 day weekend camping trip mentality. If you don't, you miss the show right outside the window. The Grand Canyon becomes an obstacle rather than a wonder.

Just my two cents, which wont even buy a gumball anymore.
Well said.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. The beholder just has to develop the eye. It's all about attitude. If you think you will not like it you will not like it.
Old 02-15-2015, 11:27 AM   #26

I actually enjoy the drive across the salt flats. 100 miles of straight road and absolute nothing.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 12:09 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
We are trained over a lifetime to fit to schedules. Be at school, be at work, get to this or that appointment, celebrate this or that day. While it is necessary for life to function, it runs pretty counter to the idea of drifting along, not having a set destination, not having to reach a goal by a particular time. When you board your coach, remind yourself that is isn't "normal life". You can drift, you can stop, you don't have to be somewhere. You'll be surprised at the kinds of interesting things you encounter when you just take a little more time.
Old 02-15-2015, 12:25 PM   #28

I was on a tight schedule in an underpowered truck from Klamath Falls to Boise, that had to be the most uninspiring drive I have ever experienced. If I hadn't been in a hurry and had taken time to enjoy, it would likely have changed my perspective. I won't do those 12 hour kamikaze runs anymore, when I am on vacation that is my time. If I take two days to cover a hundred miles so be it.