Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2015, 05:56 PM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
In our travels we have enjoyed going from left laners to right laners. Like someone said it is hard to change what you have done most of your life , but I am getting to enjoy it
WV Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-20-2015, 05:26 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie143 View Post
Well we got our motorhome and drove from Tucson to caball, nm and enjoyed the scenerie more. Of course fearing for my mhs life due to check engine light on for 300 miles looking for Cummings authorized repair shop didn't hurt either.

But finally had to stop in tucumcari, nm at johns truck repair for fix. 3 days and maybe more so I have learned patience the hard way. maybe ordained to happen.
What was the diagnosis for the Check Engine light?
Old 02-22-2015, 09:13 AM   #45

Looks like the OP decided to set down roots in Tucumcari and FT it.

OK, guys, what could cause a Check Engine light to come on once underway and still be able to drive for 5 hours without causing significant damage? Faulty gauge?

Assuming that there is an oil pressure and temperature gauge on the MH, and if they were within limits, what could cause it?
Old 02-22-2015, 09:08 PM   #46

Tiffin Owners Club
A check engine light can come on for a multitude of reasons; some minor and some serious. If your engine seems to run fine, then usually it does not hurt to continue. My last trip, I must not have had my fuel cap on tight enough because as soon as I left the station the check engine light came on. I stopped and reset the cap just because and after about an hour the light went out. If you notice ANY abnormal engine operation then certainly stop. Unfortunately the only way to know for sure is to check the codes. I have an analyzer for my shop vans and if it works on my MH I am going to carry that on trips.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:04 PM   #47

The reason was a stuck valve in the turbocharger. I used the exhaust brake to avoid cars on a downgrade and the valve got stuck in the open position. It didn't hurt the engines performance or speed and we were in the middle of nowhere so we drove to the nearest repair facility.
By the way we had Cornerstone EW and they declined the repair. They said the turbo didn't have any lubricated parts. They even accused the dealer of resetting the engine codes on the turbo so the check engine light wouldn't come on until it got stuck again.
Anyway I would use cornerstone if you gave me whole company.
Old 02-28-2015, 08:28 PM   #48

Monaco Owners Club
Thor Owners Club
we will also be there when we get there!!! Where ever that may be!!!
Old 03-01-2015, 03:43 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by okie143 View Post
It didn't hurt the engines performance or speed .

What were the symptoms then? What would cause a stuck valve to cost you six days of down time? Inquiring minds for in case it happens to somebody else.
Old 03-01-2015, 05:10 PM   #50

The main time problem was the part had to be ordered from the manufacture which was snowed in at the time in North Carolina. It took two days to get it out of North Carolina and then another two days to get it to New Mexico. No airports in Tucumcari, NM I guess.
No symptoms other than a check engine light staying on.
While I was waiting on part I had to argue with warranty company about repair. Finally emailed them pictures of the bad part and they already had their minds made up that they would not cover it.
All the Extended Warranty polices I have looked at, Coach-Net, Wholesale Warranties, CornerStone, and others all say internal lubricated part for turbo and engine. Check your EW and see what it says.
Old 03-01-2015, 07:01 PM   #51

Is that EW an INclusive, or EXclusive policy? IOW, does it cover only what's listed, or does it cover everything that isn't excluded (like tires, brakes, etc)
Old 03-01-2015, 09:14 PM   #52

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
and when you the lead vech. on a two lane road, do'n 50... in a 75mph

pull off the road and let the faster in a hurry gotta be there by 4,..looked at the seanery a million times gotta pee,gotta get there before they close. pass you...................it's the law!!!
What state has 75MPH limit on a two lane road? None I've ever been in. As far as I know, unless there is a posted minimum, there is no law about driving slow (within reason of course).
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:29 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy View Post
What state has 75MPH limit on a two lane road? None I've ever been in. As far as I know, unless there is a posted minimum, there is no law about driving slow (within reason of course).
don't try to regulate.... just pull to the right and let people pass

we were just coming back towards searchlight from needles... guy going 45 in a 65
had traffic backed up for3 miles..he never did pull out and let people pass.....surprised at how many passed him on a double yellow......

some people just have places to go....they do that headed from parker to quartzite also....

what gets me is soon as the road widens out....they speed up and try to trap as many as they can then slow back down...

wanna go site seen'n on the interstate... go on wed at 10am-3pm
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:41 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeKerrGuy View Post
nev used to not have a speed limit at all... but now its 75
az is 75 ... but maybe just on 4 lane..i'll have to slow down and look next time
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:36 AM   #55

National RV Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
nev used to not have a speed limit at all... but now its 75
az is 75 ... but maybe just on 4 lane..i'll have to slow down and look next time
I guess the point I'm trying to make is on most two lane roads, places to pull a combined 60' off the road are very few. I'm in the southeast - southwest may be very different. Just saying get over it. If I want to go fast, I'm on the interstate.
LakeKerrGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 06:47 AM   #56

That is how I broke 3 teeth in my differential. Getting stuck behind one of those guys doing just under 50. Hit the performance switch on the trans controller, and when a spot opened up, I stomped on the pedal. She dropped from 4th to 2nd and took off. By the time I got around him, I was doing well over 80. (towing my grand Cherokee) . Several miles down the road, I began to hear a noise off throttle. The farther I drove, the worse the noise got under no load. I was only about 60 miles from home, so I nursed it along, and made it. Once I got home, I lift one of the wheels off the ground and rotated it back and forth. There was a ton of slop in the diff. Pulled the plug and found a few teeth with chunks missing. I've since had the diff built up, with bearing girdles, and a thicker cover to stabilize the case so it will not twist under load.