Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-15-2015, 01:54 PM   #29

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Several kind folks on these forums gave me the formula that has really helped me settle into traveling as a retired guy:

"The 3-3-3 Rule"

1. Never travel more than 300 miles in a day.
2. Never travel past 3 pm.
3. Stay at each stop for 3 days.

#1. Once I started doing this, I realized slowing down made sense since I no longer was going 12 hours, trying to do the math to see how much time I was going to save at the end of the day by going 75mph vs 65mph. Slowing down helped me relax, and enjoy the trip more. I am still working on the saying "The Journey is the Destination", I still think wherever I am trying to get to is the destination, but each stop along the way IS part of the destination, even if just the destination for that day. I just need some more time to fully understand this part, but I am slowly getting it.

#2. I really, really like the never travel past 3 pm part! The day goes by without dragging on, and we get great campground sites now. Lots of time to go for a hike and unwind from the driving. No more driving in the dark!

#3. This is still the hard part for me, so for now we count the arrival day, and the day leaving as 2 of the 3 days. BUT, that still leaves one entire day to scout out the area, and determine if we want to return someday. We have actually stayed at a few places longer than the 3 days, once we discovered adventures just waiting to be taken in places we never expected.

Give this a try sometime, we did and it really did help.

Bruce and Judy
Firebug5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-15-2015, 03:37 PM   #30

You need a different motorhome. Traveling out northwest, the speed limit is 75. I set the cruise at 82. There are no flowers to stop and smell in the National Grass Lands, only grass for a as far as the eye can see. Yes, after a while, it kind of gets spooky. You are pretty sure that this is how the edge of the earth ends, and you have gone beyond the point of no return. Once in a while, you follow a car who is going a little faster, the change in pace breaks the monotony. You keep checking the GPS to make sure there will be life on ahead. Eventually, the traffic density increases, and you see small signs of life. Its a good thing the change back to civilization is gradual, otherwise you would have a mild form of PTSD.
Old 02-15-2015, 04:13 PM   #31

What a great thread !!!!
I have to admit I've gained much more respect towards our up & coming travels in the bus. Though we have been diligent in telling family & friends on our destination route, "we'll be there when we get there", none of it really set in until reading all the thoughts presented here ....
Our first trip was when we picked up the "bus" in Wi, and did what we needed to do to get back at AZ on a time schedule ..... but what did we miss ??? Makes me wonder. Set the cruise at 74 a let er roll has always been my DNA ... and we made it in good time ..... but not certain we really enjoyed the ride, the scenery, or much of anything else along the way.
Our plan is to leave AZ toward the end of March, weather permitting, heading to Denver. I know I can make it in probably a day and a half .... but after reading all of your posts, I'll be setting the cruise at 65, tops ... and see what happens after that .... It may take us 3 or 4 days to get there ..... but who cares .......
Thanks everyone for posting up ....... certainly a lot perspective gained .... at least for us ......... (( and where is the "IRV2 Rules" smiley ))

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 07:16 AM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile The trip "is" the destination.

Yes, that will be us. The trip is definitely the destination. A question for you though, If we stop in your Fair City, and want to enjoy a local attraction but my final days destination is another 100 miles down the road, where do you park a 50 plus foot 5'er and truck for a few hours and feel it is safe from vandalism or getting towed?? As said, there is a lot to see and we probably won't get this way again so want to take it all in and meet the locals and experience your Beautiful City's. Your thoughts and suggestions would sure be appreciated. Ps, would probably ride our Harley or small motorcycles around the area.
SDCOToyhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 08:17 AM   #33

You may also want to verify the speed rating of the tires on your MH.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDCOToyhaul View Post
Yes, that will be us. The trip is definitely the destination. A question for you though, If we stop in your Fair City, and want to enjoy a local attraction but my final days destination is another 100 miles down the road, where do you park a 50 plus foot 5'er and truck for a few hours and feel it is safe from vandalism or getting towed?? As said, there is a lot to see and we probably won't get this way again so want to take it all in and meet the locals and experience your Beautiful City's. Your thoughts and suggestions would sure be appreciated. Ps, would probably ride our Harley or small motorcycles around the area.
There should be lots of places to park a 50 5er. There are generally attractions with RV parking. I have had an issue a couple times when I parked and then got parked in. Soon learn to park at the edges where that issue is less likely.

Visitors bureaus are a good place to start. I ask them if I can leave my rig and the answer is more than likely yes if they have room.
Old 02-17-2015, 07:59 PM   #35

Well we got our motorhome and drove from Tucson to caball, nm and enjoyed the scenerie more. Of course fearing for my mhs life due to check engine light on for 300 miles looking for Cummings authorized repair shop didn't hurt either.

But finally had to stop in tucumcari, nm at johns truck repair for fix. 3 days and maybe more so I have learned patience the hard way. maybe ordained to happen.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:13 AM   #36

I don't know what's scarier; taking a 1200 mile trip through iffy weather in a MH that's straight off a used dealer's lot, or driving 300 miles with a big red light warning you of impending doom if you keep driving.

Tough choices. Hope it works out OK.
Old 02-19-2015, 07:36 AM   #37

If you're interested in scenery the interstates are not where you find it. They're for getting there fast. Boring but quick
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:26 AM   #38

I'm go'n where I'm go'n and wanna get there...I don't wanna be passed by everyone up and down the hills...

I wanna have enough power to not run on pin.... and enough brakes to stop when ever I want...

I want enough room to stretch my legs out when I sleep...and small enough to fit at my house... and I would trade patience for performance anyday, but to each their own.
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:49 AM   #39

I think it was George Carlin that said"ever notice how everyone that drives slower than you is an idiot,, and every one that drives faster is a maniac"

lol... how true ....

one request for all you lolly gagers with no where to go and who care when you get theres...

keep in the right lane!!!!

and when you the lead vech. on a two lane road, do'n 50... in a 75mph

pull off the road and let the faster in a hurry gotta be there by 4,..looked at the seanery a million times gotta pee,gotta get there before they close. pass you...................it's the law!!!
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 10:00 AM   #40

agree! #1 #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebug5 View Post
Several kind folks on these forums gave me the formula that has really helped me settle into traveling as a retired guy:

"The 3-3-3 Rule"

1. Never travel more than 300 miles in a day.
2. Never travel past 3 pm.
3. Stay at each stop for 3 days.

#1. Once I started doing this, I realized slowing down made sense since I no longer was going 12 hours, trying to do the math to see how much time I was going to save at the end of the day by going 75mph vs 65mph. Slowing down helped me relax, and enjoy the trip more. I am still working on the saying "The Journey is the Destination", I still think wherever I am trying to get to is the destination, but each stop along the way IS part of the destination, even if just the destination for that day. I just need some more time to fully understand this part, but I am slowly getting it.

#2. I really, really like the never travel past 3 pm part! The day goes by without dragging on, and we get great campground sites now. Lots of time to go for a hike and unwind from the driving. No more driving in the dark!

#3. This is still the hard part for me, so for now we count the arrival day, and the day leaving as 2 of the 3 days. BUT, that still leaves one entire day to scout out the area, and determine if we want to return someday. We have actually stayed at a few places longer than the 3 days, once we discovered adventures just waiting to be taken in places we never expected.

Give this a try sometime, we did and it really did help.

Bruce and Judy
I agree with at least #1 and #2 - and add the following disclaimer:
*Arriving to any park or site after dark is not good
(that is is time that most problems have happened for us, full timers,
and leaving at least several hours of daylight to set up and look around
is preferred - especially in the winter months)
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 11:31 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
I don't know what's scarier; taking a 1200 mile trip through iffy weather in a MH that's straight off a used dealer's lot, or driving 300 miles with a big red light warning you of impending doom if you keep driving.

Tough choices. Hope it works out OK.
That is why I run a laptop hooked up to my engine, or at least readily available so it can be plugged in on the fly if needed. Helps to draw conclusions real fast so you can come up with a plan if need be. A lot of guys run Scan gauge for that reason.
Old 02-19-2015, 02:21 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
A lot of guys run Scan gauge for that reason.
Yep, knowing temps and pressures tells a whole lot more than idiot lights...and you KNOW when to shut her down if need be.

Scan Gauge: don't leave home without it (and the TPMS)