Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-13-2015, 08:54 PM   #1
Patience is a must have

Old news for you experienced dp owners but learning slowly for me.

Drove 1200 miles from Oklahoma to Tucson, AZ just to look at mhs. Pedata to be exact. We went I-40 to I-25 to I-10. 40 & 25 was so boring, nothing but desert and mountains for 800 miles, that I wanted to turn around and go back home. Keep in mind I was in my car doing 75 mph. I cannot imagine doing it at 62-65 mph.

But alas
We bought a dp and now we are going to learn patience and stop and smell the desert flowers.
If you pass a guy walking around his dp kicking rocks you will know I am still learning patience.
headed back Feb 15 from tucson.

okie143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2015, 09:32 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Driving slower gives you that much more time to enjoy both your motorhome and the ride it provides you! For some of us, the journey is the destination.

'07 Newmar KSDP3916 w/Hydralift carrying '06 FLHX, '15 Chevy Equinox, Blue Ox Alpha, RVibrake2
With the birds...
bokobird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 10:49 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by bokobird View Post
Driving slower gives you that much more time to enjoy both your motorhome and the ride it provides you! For some of us, the journey is the destination.
DITTO Carl!!!
"Living Our Dreams and ❤️ The Ride!" Kay & Richard, Austin TX
2015 Itasca Meridian 36M "Roada"
2014 Honda CR-V EX-L FWD
austx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:02 PM   #4
Winnebago Owners Club
You have to clear your mind of the destination and the driving need to get there as close to the time you started as you can. Then you may start to see some of the beautiful things around you. If you do not see the things around you leave the MH at home and stay in the S&B. The benefits of camping are lost on you.

All of the road ways have things to see if you look. At times you will see antelope on the prairies. Have to keep a sharp eye. There are lots of things even in the desert. You may see catus blooming, or interesting rock formations.

Our kids are like that, always running to the next place. I like to say they leave 10 minutes late on a 10 minute drive and try to get there 10 minutes early.
Gordon and Janet
Tour 42QD/inTech Stacker
Gordon Dewald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:18 AM   #5
Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
A straight line may be the shortest distance between two points, but it also misses the point of traveling in an RV in the first place. What you described was a commute, but what you missed was the experience of enjoying where you were instead of hurrying to get where you were going. The southwest might not be everyone's cup of tea, but you're already there... it wouldn't be that hard to make the most of it.

Get off the interstates, explore the roads less traveled and discover something you've never seen before. You might not ever want to drive back there to see it again, but you won't be sorry for that once-in-a-lifetime experience.

And, who knows...?

Good luck!
2004 Newmar Mountain Aire 4302
pulling a 2013 Ford Edge Limited

Wryly Blithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 12:49 AM   #6
Tiffin Owners Club
It's hard as a passenger too! I feel like it's twilight zone, lol. Good thing there's music!
Dances with wolves
Linda and Bob.
2015 Allegro33aa.
480w Go Power solar
PeaceOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:01 AM   #7
I love driving through the desert I think its beautiful.
93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:35 AM   #8
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The desert can incredibly beautiful, especially at night with a full moon. It can also be a long intimidating drive. Having to run through Death Valley without AC to avoid engine failure in 115 degree heat, or crossing the Mojave in the early evening when the temperature is still above 100 degrees is a reality check. We once stopped after the sun had gone down to let the pups do their business. The silence was amazing. Not a car or truck to be seen for miles and no jets overhead to break the quiet. We had to stand there and take it all in for a good 30 minutes before getting back on the road. The stars merged with the horizon it was so dark, yet you could see forever.

Deserts have their own special beauty day, or night if only you give them a chance. I do agree, I40 can be a drag. Follow what's left of old Route 66 someday. There are still some of the old roadside curio shops and diners left here and there. To me the drive from El Paso to Dallas TX is perhaps one of the most mind numbing drives around. 10 and 20 has its moments of sheer boredom. As stated earlier, the backroads can be rewarding, as long as there are gas stations.
'97 Pace Arrow Vision 36 with Tag Axel, Ford 460 with Banks Power Pack. 2000 Jeep Wrangler Toad, one miniature schnauzer that rules the roost and a wife that enjoys traveling. Retired FTCS (SS) USN and loving it. FMCA#461483
Shaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 04:36 AM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I get there when I get there!
John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:41 AM   #10
I have none and never had none I guess I'll get some 6ft under.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 05:55 AM   #11
American Coach Owners Club
Who say's you cannot drive a MH 75 mph? I see it on I-75 all the time especially snowbirds headed north!
1998 American Eagle
gacamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:21 AM   #12
My wife is from south eastern Kentucky. Ever drive the rough the smokies? I mean get off the interstate and travel 100 miles on the little 2 lane roads that curve round and round. Where the locals don't know how to stay on their own side of the road. on one side of the road the hill is straight up with no ditch. The other side of the road is a 100 foot drop off with no guard rail into a river. Just drops off the edge of the road. Yea that's where you need patience. As soon as we get off the interstate I stop and get a 6 pack. The wife takes over I buckle my seat belt tight and try not to say a word.
93 Jayco RK 325
07 Chevy classic crew cab long box LBZ Duramax
Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 06:56 AM   #13
You don't say what age group you fit into. But I was a type "A" personality when I was younger, always going a 100mph with my hair on fire. After retirement it took me a good year to finally slow down. Time & distance don't mean a thing now. I'll be there, when I get there.
2000 Dutch Star Pusher
2009 Saturn Vue Towed
Full timed for 6yrs.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2015, 07:33 AM   #14
You can run at 75 mph just be ready to make a lot of fuel stops.

2011 40' Monaco Cayman PBQ ISC 360
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
CampingCajun is offline   Reply With Quote