Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2014, 04:00 PM   #15

I either let the cashier hold my driver's license while filling or use several credit cards at the pump. I refuse to leave my credit card. Most of the time I get two swipes at the pump on the same card, and occasionally one or three swipes. Occasionally, a fuel station will turn on the pump without ID or prepayment.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2014, 10:18 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have a Walmart credit card. I go to a murphys that takes the Walmart card. Preauthorize 500 on the card. The pump then only charges my card what I actually pump.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #17

I also use the Pilot/flyingj card. I use the auto pay out of my checking account. It gives me a limit of 2,500. If I use that up, I just pay and have another 2,500 available. I get 7 cents off the cash price. I just pull in, swipe the card and put my pin in and fill up. I only fuel at Pilot/flyinj.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:11 PM   #18

Country Coach Owners Club
The Pilot/FJ charge card works for me. If I don't fuel there I use the Pacific Pride network
Old 11-24-2014, 09:21 AM   #19
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I would NEVER leave my credit card with a cashier inside! I use the PenFed Cash Rewards Visa card and get 5% rebate at the end of the month. That only works if I pay at the pump. I can always swipe my card at least twice and sometimes three times. I just got a Sams Club credit card that I can use to finish filling if necessary. It also gives me 5% rebate, but only at the end of the year!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:47 PM   #20

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I would NEVER leave my credit card with a cashier inside!
IMHO leaving my card with a cashier is no worse than giving it to a server to settle my bill at a restaurant. Until I had the Pilot/Flying J card I did this at many truck stops for four years and 40,000 miles without a problem.

IMO there's a tendency to live in a climate of fear in this country; we are exposed to a continuous feed of news from all over the world, most of which is bad because that is what is newsworthy. I don't want to sound like a Pollyanna but I refuse to act like something bad will happen just because it could happen. If someone puts an unauthorized charge on my card it will get reversed and the card replaced; a nuisance but not a crisis.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:48 PM   #21
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
IMHO leaving my card with a cashier is no worse than giving it to a server to settle my bill at a restaurant. Until I had the Pilot/Flying J card I did this at many truck stops for four years and 40,000 miles without a problem.

IMO there's a tendency to live in a climate of fear in this country; we are exposed to a continuous feed of news from all over the world, most of which is bad because that is what is newsworthy. I don't want to sound like a Pollyanna but I refuse to act like something bad will happen just because it could happen. If someone puts an unauthorized charge on my card it will get reversed and the card replaced; a nuisance but not a crisis.

I totally agree. Well said.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 09:35 AM   #22

I had a hotel in LA grab my card info. $8800.00 in three days. One call to Amex and it was taken care of. Didn't even charge me the $50.00 that I thought I would have to pay. These guys ordered stuff from all over to be delivered to Los Angeles.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
Old 11-30-2014, 09:44 AM   #23

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
Didn't even charge me the $50.00 that I thought I would have to pay.

Most credit card issuers will waive the legally permissible $50 fee if you catch the fraud quickly and report it since, by doing so, you've reduced their losses. Merchants who accept stolen credit card information are the ones who ultimately pay the bill for the fraud, not the bank, so the bank is happy not to charge you the $50.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 01:17 PM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Actually with all the ways to scam your credit card these days - including pirate readers put into the pumps - we just pay inside. My wife goes into the station and pays. I wait by the pump to gas up. If I'm lucky, she'll bring me an ice cream bar when she comes back.
AggieDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 04:36 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Paying at the pumps is surprisingly a pita. You would think with the cost of fuel and how many rvs are rolling around the country, they would have a better system.
Old 11-30-2014, 05:31 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgetown350 View Post
Paying at the pumps is surprisingly a pita. You would think with the cost of fuel and how many rvs are rolling around the country, they would have a better system.

I agree a PITA! If I have a $20,000 limit on my card I should be able to pump $20,000 in fuel before the pump cuts me off.
This cr@p seems to have started about the time of Hurricane Katrina when gas prices were going up faster than they could change the signs.
Or maybe back then you could actually fill up for $100.

1994 Holiday Rambler Navigator
Cummins 8.3
Allison MD3060
GA Navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 07:42 PM   #27

FJ/Pilot prices to high

Hey more power to those who like F/J and Pilot but I avoid them. I have drove across the street many times and saved 30 cents a gallon. Example, today I drove through Kehma TX. and bought Diesel for $3.09 a gallon credit or cash at a Valero station that allowed my 38"pusher to fit in. When we got out on the interstate 10 all the truck stops were charging $3.79 a gallon credit. I have used an app. on my cell phone called "Gas Guru" for over a year now and saved a small fortune on fuel cost. Now with the big pusher I'm really happy I found this free app.. Try it you might like it.

Yes, there are some places I can't get into but more often than not I can avoid getting over priced fuel at F/J or Pilot or most all of the truck stops. One more thing, Hooray for Buc-ee's fuel stops here in TX. their RV bay's are set up just like truck stops without the exorbitant prices.
I feel the truck stops charge higher prices because the trucking companies will just pass the cost of fuel onto the customers. Myself and the rest of my RV brethren are just casualties of greed Mike
Old 12-01-2014, 12:58 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duoglide1 View Post
At some of the truck stops I've used a MasterCard will only let you have $100 or $125 at a swipe but if you use a Visa its $495. Why, I don't know but I'm changing mine to Visa card just because of that feature.

2005 Country Coach Inspire, C9 CAT
It's not MasterCard that is doing that. It's either the bank from whom you got the card or the vendor. I have a MC and I don't have that problem.

Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote