RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2019, 12:35 PM   #1

Pays to look

Hello Friends.

Wanted to share a couple of pics on our New to Us Fleetwood Bounder 35B Gas Class A RV.

We purchased it 3 weeks ago and have been going through it learning it and checking on all critical functions. The dealer we picked it up from did around $3K worth of documented repairs before we signed on the bottom line and we purchased a Warranty to boot along with a tire and roadside program. Thought it safe due to it being used and a 2004 model.

We got a good price on it and unit has 59k original miles on it. So after we got her home and after the dealer said they went through it with a fine tooth comb and serviced it, we are finding a few things out about our new coach.

Strike One. Control board on the Onan 5500 Generator started but wouldn't stay running. I served it as it was never done, replaced all filters, air and fuel, and oil and plugs as well. Still wouldn't run. I was able to diagnose the control board and changed it and works like a champ.

Strike Two. They told me fuel gauge was not right when we came to pick it up but they had just filled it and said would be too difficult to drop tank to check it out. We had a mobile service company we trust and use for my farm equipment and they did it. They also found that when they did a check, the front brakes had been changed but not the rear and they looked questionable. We lucky had them replaced. Pics attached.

Strike 3. While working on the sending unit which was bad, they also found that the pick up line for the Jenny was so badly corroded that they wanted me to look at it before the touched it as it looked like it would break just looking at it. I had it replaced and with no pressure it broke in half and was just rust. Funny, the dealer replaced a leaking fuel line on the jenny and we cannot figure out how they were able to get the line on the pick up tube as it was so fragile.

Strike 4. They Did NOT service the transmission as they indicated and service man had me under the coach to show me it was likely NEVER changed since new. That is now serviced and glad we did.

Look at the pics of the brake pads on the rear. Both had rust so bad from sitting but the linings themselves was pulling away from the backing plates and several chunks of brake lining had already broken off. Estimated complete rear brake failure if pushed hard in an emergency.

The whole bill came to $2500.00 with labor and money well spent for peace of mind and investment in the coach. BTW, I am turning in the circuit board ( $349.99 plus labor) and the brake pads and labor as those should have been caught and repaired.
Attached Images

Stonehands is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #2

OP - Glad you got these things found, and taken care of, on your schedule and turf - vs - on the Highways of America. And appreciate you sharing your experiences...

While we were fortunate that the Dealer we bought our also used coach from back in 2010 era was honest - we still paid to have an Independent Inspection. While a few of the items you found, like the almost breaking fuel line connection, would probably not have been found by an Independent Inspector, I suspect others would have.

In the contract (And I mentioned 'contract', cause if it is not written down, nothing you can do about it.), did it outline the items they had done and represented to you as being complete? If so, send them a letter with the items they said that were completed, that were not, and asked to be refunded for your expenses.

They'll probably say No, but does not hurt to ask!!!

If you feel it was honest mistakes, let it slide. But if you feel they were unethical in their dealings - post who they are, to possibly save others from having a problem.

(Moderator's will correct me if this is wrong to say. But I believe it is OK for you to share your 'Opinions and Experiences' with any company, as long as you state them as being just that - opinions and experiences(?).)

Go have some fun with your new rig,
Smitty

Old 07-11-2019, 02:26 PM   #3
Senior Member - DIYer

Ford Super Duty Owner
What year and chassis is you Bounder?

It won't do MACH 2, but I can get a sandwich and take a pee.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:18 AM   #4

Thank you Smitty. We got an itemized list of all repairs and costs they absorbed as well a list of what was serviced. They replaced the front brakes but not the back which in my opinion is a huge safety concern. They wrote in the agreement that a complete safety check was done so they sure missed the rear brakes.

The Jenny was working when we purchased but took a dump on our first day trip. I don’t fault them on that.

The fuel line they replaced for the generator was listed but the steel pick up tube it was connected to was rotten and broke with no effort. To replace it they would have had to drop tank and they were not about to do that.

They told us the gas gauge didn’t work when we picked up the coach and said they couldn’t fix as tank was full. I had it fixed and am sending them the bill as well as the brakes.

Will let you know how good my warranty is when I make my claim. Thank you for your reply Smitty.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:19 AM   #5

Hello.
It is a 2004 Bounder 35B on a Fleetwood Workhorse Chassis.
Old 07-12-2019, 08:48 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
You may want to read the warranty contract. In most cases the claim has to be made and approval given before any work is done.

It will be interesting to know it they honor your warranty.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:06 AM   #7

It really is too bad that a dealer would only do the best minimum to a unit just to get it out the door. In Canada a unit that came with a complete safety the brakes would have to be replaced by the company who safety it at their cost. The generator and fuel line would not be part of the safety.

Why as a dealer would you not do your due diligence to present a unit in a fully safe manner and a product you can stand behind.

I recent bought my first motorhome and it is a 2002 Coachmen. I crawled under it and did not see any concerns as well as I drove it and had the owner drive while I listened. I bought it knowing it needed new tires. I took. It into a mechanic to fully inspect it and install the tires and he said that the shocks would need replacing in the near future and that everything else checked out.

Because of the time of day I did not notice a delimitation in an small area of one side. I will fix that. I looked on the roof and I know that it could stand to have the roof recovered so I am going to do that as well before we take off on our first big adventure. Enjoy your motorhome and the travels. Keep us updated on your attempts to get some money back from the dealer. Also tell them that you are going to post about your experience with there name on this site as well as social media if they are not willing to make it right.
Old 07-12-2019, 09:16 AM   #8

We looked at a used coach once that the dealer indicated boldly and proudly we performed a 101 point check list and everything is perfect. As I walked toward the coach I saw the passenger side windshield wiper blade rubber was torn and was hanging down. Very obvious. As I walked around the coach I saw one tail light housing was almost completely full of water. Then walking to the front I saw the headlight was cracked. The salesman kept muttering "don't worry, we will fix that". When we entered we were hit with a smell. I found several dead mice still in traps, and a nest in one of the drawers! Opened the refrigerator and OMG, it stunk to high heavens and had mold growing.

We left with the salesman still muttering "we can fix all of that".
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
We looked at a used coach once that the dealer indicated boldly and proudly we performed a 101 point check list and everything is perfect. As I walked toward the coach I saw the passenger side windshield wiper blade rubber was torn and was hanging down. Very obvious. As I walked around the coach I saw one tail light housing was almost completely full of water. Then walking to the front I saw the headlight was cracked. The salesman kept muttering "don't worry, we will fix that". When we entered we were hit with a smell. I found several dead mice still in traps, and a nest in one of the drawers! Opened the refrigerator and OMG, it stunk to high heavens and had mold growing.

We left with the salesman still muttering "we can fix all of that".
That is crazy.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:06 AM   #10

Wow, what a horror show. My experience was not bad overall. Just disappointed on a couple of big misses the dealer made.
Old 07-13-2019, 01:56 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by sask934 View Post
It really is too bad that a dealer would only do the best minimum to a unit just to get it out the door. In Canada a unit that came with a complete safety the brakes would have to be replaced by the company who safety it at their cost. The generator and fuel line would not be part of the safety.

Why as a dealer would you not do your due diligence to present a unit in a fully safe manner and a product you can stand behind.

I recent bought my first motorhome and it is a 2002 Coachmen. I crawled under it and did not see any concerns as well as I drove it and had the owner drive while I listened. I bought it knowing it needed new tires. I took. It into a mechanic to fully inspect it and install the tires and he said that the shocks would need replacing in the near future and that everything else checked out.

Because of the time of day I did not notice a delimitation in an small area of one side. I will fix that. I looked on the roof and I know that it could stand to have the roof recovered so I am going to do that as well before we take off on our first big adventure. Enjoy your motorhome and the travels. Keep us updated on your attempts to get some money back from the dealer. Also tell them that you are going to post about your experience with there name on this site as well as social media if they are not willing to make it right.
Great advice and my thanks!! On the road and so far all is good. I am of the same kind regarding social media to broadcast their response to my issues.
Old 07-13-2019, 07:16 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
To be honest with you I don't think most of these salesmen Know very much about these MHs. They do know how much money they have in them and how much they have to get for them.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:22 PM   #13

Agreed. They are nice people but really only looking for the sale.