Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2019, 06:18 AM   #1

PDI NRVIA Inspection - Fluid Analysis

We have a deposit on a 2013 Tiffin on a Freightliner chassis. I have made arrangements for a NRVIA Level II inspector to go over the coach and draw fluid samples for testing.

The fluid sample analysis is $75 per sample so I don’t want to go crazy. I am thinking engine oil, transmission fluid and coolant. Also, generator oil and coolant.

I am hoping to look at maintenance records on our next visit, which if the engine oil or some other maintenance recently changed a fluid it might not be worth paying to have its analysis conducted.

Looking for other thoughts on my approach and why you would have different or other fluid analysis done.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2019, 07:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am thinking engine oil, transmission fluid and coolant. Also, generator oil and coolant.

That's everything, right? And 5 x $75?

I think I would just plan on changing the two coolants. Not worth testing, IMO. You can spot oil contamination in a coolant pretty easily and not much else worries me.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 10:41 PM   #3

Engine and gen oil analysis before you change oils for your first time may give you an idea of how well kept up these units were. that's what I'd do.
Rupertom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 06:44 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like a plan.

Although you could change the coolant in engine and generator having the results of an analysis is worth it. I was getting ready to change my coolant but did the sample/analysis instead and found the coolant tested as new.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 03:56 PM   #5

Texas Boomers Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
ah,, Blackstone Labs - Hardcore Bodybuilding Supplements
https://blackstonelabs.com

and https://jglubricantservices.com/
charge about 30$ each..

I guess if you are in a hurry..
Old 10-23-2019, 05:29 PM   #6

PDI NRVIA Inspection - Fluid Analysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
That's everything, right? And 5 x $75?

I think I would just plan on changing the two coolants. Not worth testing, IMO. You can spot oil contamination in a coolant pretty easily and not much else worries me.

The differential could be done as well, but not sure that is worth it.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:42 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Having an analysis performed will only hurt your budget but might give you a little peace of mind. Just keep in mind it will be a short time period snapshot of the fluid being checked. If the seller recently changed the fluid then the analysis might not be worth the cost. I would wait until you have the opportunity to review the maintenance records.

And $75 per sample? You can do it yourself for a lot less. And the URL for Blackstone Labs is https://www.blackstone-labs.com/. If you leave out the dash between stone and labs you'll end up at somewhere else that isn't quite what you were looking for.
Old 10-24-2019, 05:59 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
We have a deposit on a 2013 Tiffin on a Freightliner chassis. I have made arrangements for a NRVIA Level II inspector to go over the coach and draw fluid samples for testing.
Could you report back what you decide after the inspector finds the various problems. My concern is that they are always going to find stuff and never be able to tell you the motor/tranny are just fine. Of course, if they find a major leak that caused damage than the money would be well spent. I hope this works out an please keep us informed.
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2019, 12:47 PM   #9

vetty jumping up to a nice diesel pusher. This is exciting news. Cheers.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 08:01 PM   #10

Quote:
Could you report back what you decide after the inspector finds the various problems. My concern is that they are always going to find stuff and never be able to tell you the motor/tranny are just fine. Of course, if they find a major leak that caused damage than the money would be well spent. I hope this works out an please keep us informed.
Ethical NRVIA certified inspectors have zero vested interest in the results of an inspection. They work for the customer to provide a detailed report on findings, and should never offer advice on whether or not to purchase the camper, where to get hit list items repaired, or offer their own services to make repairs.

If you ever come across a certified inspector that does any of this, notify the NRVIA, as this is a violation of their code of ethics.
Old 10-26-2019, 03:06 PM   #11

In the end I didn't need the inspector. I found several issues with the coach that we felt were too critical to take the risk so we passed on the purchase. Very unfortunate as the coach was exactly what we have been looking for this past year or so.

Tags
fluid