Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-27-2014, 10:36 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Peak, Dynomax or Spartan - I can only have one!

After nearly a year of research and picking up info from these forums I am finally ready to jump in with both feet. Well... almost. I have narrowed my choices down to three and I would like to know what you guys think about them.
2004 40' Alpine Coach
2004 40' Country Coach, or
2004 40' Travel Supreme

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-27-2014, 10:49 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Does'nt matter what we think. What do you think and which one does the DW prefer? Go with that one.

Old 12-27-2014, 10:52 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I get to choose the chassis, she get to pick out the actual coach.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:03 PM   #4

Buy the coach you like...and you live with the chassis that comes under it.

Steve
Old 12-28-2014, 12:01 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post

Steve
Yep. All three are fine coaches. At 40', and in 2004, the CC will usually have a Tag with the Allure on up. If the the rigs do not have a tag, that would be a good reason to add more weight to the CC.

Best,
Smitty
Old 12-28-2014, 12:57 AM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Does the tag make that big of a difference? I was shying away from a tag because I thought it reduced the maneuverability. I was actually looking mostly at the Inspire and Intrigue.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveLevin View Post

Steve
I sorry but I would start chassis if you don't see a difference then it's not a problem.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2fender View Post
Does the tag make that big of a difference? I was shying away from a tag because I thought it reduced the maneuverability. I was actually looking mostly at the Inspire and Intrigue.

Tags are great for a couple of reasons.
1. The obvious addition of 10k in weight capacity, less the weight of the tag assembly.
2. Additional over the road stability.
3. Most either have a lift or unload feature which effectively shortens the wheelbase and increases maneuverability at low speeds.

The only down side is they take up the space of a basement compartment.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 07:10 AM   #9

Travel Supreme......
Old 12-28-2014, 10:28 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Dont want to start a discussion about chassis. It is pointless as there are proponents and detractors for all of them same as RV brands. Gas vs Diesel, Cummins vs Cat, tag vs non tag. Everyone has an opinion based on personal experience and bias. All are good if you get a good one.

Find the floor plan you both will be able to live in. You will be spending much more time in the coach than under it, unless you plan to spend a lot of time working on the chassis? No matter where you will be RV'ing you will be spending time inside because of inclement weather. Is the space you have condusive to the activities you like to do?

Chassis requirements: IFS, 56 - 60 degree cut, engine, tires and sufficient GVW, enough towing capacity for toad.

Body Requirements: stackable washer dryer, all electric, king bed, residential fridge, large inverter, generator, solar panels for boon docking?, large prep area for cooking, comfortable lounge area (tall backed), large shower/tub, A/C with heat, underfloor heating if tile, bath and half, comfortable second bed for guests, table and chairs or dinette.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:40 AM   #11

can't go wrong with dynomax with ifs. but i am biased no matter what
Old 12-28-2014, 10:56 AM   #12

Buy the coach you really like. Don't let the chassis be the deal breaker. All are very good.
Old 12-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by g2fender View Post

Among these 3 manufacturers, all of whom built find coaches, I consider the Intrigue you mention to be a highly desirable coach. The CC Chassis is a semi monocoque design which is very stiff and strong. The Alpine coach was built on the Peak chassis which was Alpine built. Most Alpine coaches have hydraulic brakes instead of air.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #14

Specifically in the CC line, I like Steve really like where the Intrigue model lands in the CC line up. IMO, it was the best bang for the buck in the line, especially in say 2000-2006. CC, as with other manufacturers, did allow options to sort 'blur the line's' between models. And Allure could be optioned out to get many of the Intrigue model items. The Intrigue could do the same with the Magna.

In general, I group Tributes and Inspires together in one group, due to mechanical and other coach options of the early mid 2000's years. I group the Allure/Intrigue/Magna in a second group, for the same reasons.

One reason I feel the Intrigue is the sweet spot in the model line up, is you could get it optioned out with the BIG BLOCK engine, a CAT in this case. The Allure, offered the Cummins ISL as it's only engine option in those years.

I feel the BIG BLOCKS, would prefer ISM vs BIG CAT or say Detroit (but they're all three great engines in those years before heavy smog changes) provide two key safety features: 1) Reserve capacity of power. 2) Higher Compression Jake Braking, some with 3 Stage vs 2 Stage (These are heavy rigs, and that bigger block displacement, adds a great deal more braking horse power for you on those long down hills. The CAT C9 and Cummins ISL, get the job done and I feel are better then Exhaust type braking - but not as well as the BIG BLOCKS!).

The DW saw the Galley in our 04 Allure High Cascade model - and it was game over. She would not have cared if it had a Dodge 225 Slant 6 in it....

Again, all three are fine coaches, and all three were on our short list. I liked the handling of the Alpine the best, but did not like the feel of the mentioned hydraulic brakes. Also liked the mid entry door in some Alpine models. The Travel Supreme is a well build coach, and we liked the layout and decor too. Put an offer in on a 04 model, but the Owners wanted to take a deposit, and keep the coach for one final trip across the United States, before turning it over to us three months later - I still laugh at that strategy to sell a coach!

Again, best of luck on your hunt. It may come down to which is the first well maintained unit you find that you like, at a reasonable price.
Smitty

Tags
spartan