Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2009, 08:02 AM   #1

Penetrol question

I read in one of the threads that someone used penetrol on their motorhome to restore the fiberglass finish. I looked up penetrol and this is what I found:
---Makes exterior acrylic paint stick
E-B Emulsa-Bond is a stir-in latex/acrylic paint additive formulated for exterior paints intended for wood, masonry or aluminum siding surfaces. It's ideal for chalky or dusty surfaces, or any surfaces where adhesion is a concern. E-B Emulsa-Bond stirs in easily without altering the original finish color and eliminates the need for primer.
Where To Use
• Fomulated for exterior wood, masonry, aluminum siding or porous surfaces.

I'm not so sure I want to put this on my motorhome;
comments please:

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2009, 10:50 AM   #2

I've used it on my boat-- it does bring out a nice glossy look. You need to wipe on a couple of coats with a cloth. On the boat , in salt water, it lasts a few years before having to redo it.
If you look on the can, ( check Home Depot,Lowes) , it does state you can use it on fiberglas.
The black rock guard on the rear of my MH was looking nasty, so I wiped some on that last year.. still looks good today

Old 06-19-2009, 10:33 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Absolutely not, I have been in the paint business for 30 years. I sell these products. They are great paint additives but they will cause uneven and streaky yellowing of the fiberglass.
Old 06-19-2009, 11:56 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmdamit View Post
Absolutely not, I have been in the paint business for 30 years. I sell these products. They are great paint additives but they will cause uneven and streaky yellowing of the fiberglass.
thank you ever so much for the info; I have been on the wall as to use this stuff or not
Old 06-19-2009, 04:40 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by thmdamit View Post

I have to second his comment. Also in the paint business and this is not the route to go. This product is mostly for paint. I have seen some really bad reactions on fiberglass from using products not designed for them.
Old 06-26-2009, 08:19 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have used Penetrol on wood cabinets, and it made a world of difference. A friend of mine used it on his fiberglass boat, and also on his travel trailer. He has used this technique for years. I would say the boat and TT improvement was exceptional! The cabinets that I did looked great the 3 years I had them. "Panjh" is applying the way I was told to do it.

Equinox Toad
stearn is offline   Reply With Quote