Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2014, 07:18 PM   #1

Penguin ACs

Have a Newmar KSDP with a Penguin 630515 (6yrs old) rated at 13.5 BTUs and have two related questions if anyone has experience:
1.The 630515 has started to produce significant water run off. I'd guess 3+ times other adjoining units. Is this a sign of impending problems?
2.I talked with Dometic and they recommended a PenguinII 651816C as a higher capacity replacement. Although when checked by myself and then by a tech the 630515 checked out as acceptable I'm not satisfied with its performance. The reason seems the unusually large area of glass surface in my particular unit and the resulting heat transfer. The 651816C is rated at "high capacity" (what ever that means). Does oneone have experience with this unit? Has anyone performed a conversion to this unit and if so, any advice?
Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2014, 07:30 PM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
Are you referring to water runoff off the roof or inside of the coach? Are you in a humid area? I had Penguin's and living in FL that was normal. When we traveled to less humid areas, the runoff was about 1/2.

brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 07:43 PM   #3

Penguin ACs

The runoff is from the roof. The seeming excess of 3+ is versus other units parked by me- my unit will produce more in humid conditions but still 3+ surrounding units. All seem to be running their ACs about the same amount of time.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:49 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
To me I would say that your unit is working FAR better and MORE efficient than the ones that are producing LESS water parked near you.

I would not worry.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-19-2014, 09:21 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
To me I would say that your unit is working FAR better and MORE efficient than the ones that are producing LESS water parked near you. I would not worry. Dr4Film ----- Richard
EXACTLY! The AC that is producing all the water is extracting more moisture from the air than the others. I would look at the OTHER units...they are the ones that aren't working up to capacity.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:38 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
EXACTLY! The AC that is producing all the water is extracting more moisture from the air than the others. I would look at the OTHER units...they are the ones that aren't working up to capacity.
That is my feeling as well. I had the penuins in our previous unit for over 6 yrs. and they are good units, just a little shorter in hight. Like said before if you are in a high humidy area it will produce more water if working properly. You will know when it quits working.
Old 02-20-2014, 08:59 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Hi glemo81540,
I have the same or similar coach. I have the same units as you do. Take this off your list of things to worry about. The units are operating correctly.

When you do replace them (they will wear out and you will definitely know about it), you may not be able to upgrade to a larger capacity unit. The 13.5K units do not have the same air exit/entry configuration as the 15K units. Because of this, the holes cut in the roof may work for the 13.5 but not for the 15K. Make sure the vendor replacing the unit(s) checks this before ordering the larger capacity units. While the current holes in the roof can be patched and new holes made, this is an additional expense.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:08 AM   #8

Did you test amp draw and temperature differential?

Also, for you and others, Dometic used ambiguous ratings for a while.
"High efficiency" - Uses compressor for a 11kBTU unit and power draw to match, and performs like a 13.5K unit.
"High performance" - Some parts from a 13.5K and power draw as such, but performs as a 15K.
Old 02-20-2014, 09:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by brobox View Post
Are you referring to water runoff off the roof or inside of the coach? Are you in a humid area? I had Penguin's and living in FL that was normal. When we traveled to less humid areas, the runoff was about 1/2.
Our front unit will produce about 3 gallons of runoff on a typical Florida day. I know because I catch the runoff in a bucket to keep it from splashing dirt against the coach.