RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-12-2019, 11:54 AM   #15

Wooooaaaa
A new Hydro Hot control unit????? Who cam up with that idea, huh?

We have a 2004 MountainAire 4301 (for sale by the way), with HydroHot.
Used to have the 630516 ACs with 5 button, now 651816 and still waiting for 10 button CCC2.
The furnace dip switches on the new units need to be on though for the hydro, right?
And what happens if I don't have the hydro control unit? will it also mess with the water heating end of it?

No AGS on ours

AustroTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-12-2019, 01:00 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustroTom View Post
Wooooaaaa
A new Hydro Hot control unit????? Who cam up with that idea, huh?

We have a 2004 MountainAire 4301 (for sale by the way), with HydroHot.
Used to have the 630516 ACs with 5 button, now 651816 and still waiting for 10 button CCC2.
The furnace dip switches on the new units need to be on though for the hydro, right?
And what happens if I don't have the hydro control unit? will it also mess with the water heating end of it?

No AGS on ours

Let me clarify ... and I haven't seen your setup .....
The HydroHot has a Hydro Hot Control Unit. It is usually on the wall in the compartment with the HydroHot (baggage compartment). It can have individual thermostats in individual areas (zones). These can control heating without interfacing with a Dometic thermostat. In most cases, Newmar chose to use a Dometic interface to allow the Dometic thermostat to be used with the HydroHot and not use individual HydroHot thermostats. This interface is a standalone Dometic Control Unit that is between the Dometic thermostat and the Hydrohot. The thermostat thinks it's talking to a Dometic A/C unit on the comm cable.

My point is the standalone Dometic Controller must now match the CCC2.

Old 07-12-2019, 02:26 PM   #17

yes, that's exactly what I have. But are you saying I now need an entire new unit? Can't the existing be reset or matched?
Old 07-12-2019, 04:23 PM   #18

Quote:
yes, that's exactly what I have. But are you saying I now need an entire new unit? Can't the existing be reset or matched?

I'm not sure what you mean. New Dometic units must all be matched to the new communication protocol. This includes all rooftop units and their boards, the CCC2, and (if you have an older HydroHot) the Dometic Controller for the HydroHot. If you don't have a new Controller you can't communicate with the HydroHot. You'll get hot water to the sinks/shower but no room heat.
This is what mine looks like under the bathroom sink in the hall. The white plastic pipe goes to a faucet.

Old 07-12-2019, 04:36 PM   #19

Understanding the following may help:
The HydroHot/Aquahot are not manufactured by Dometic. They were originally standalone heating units and are used in various vehicles and boats. They weren't designed to communicate with an air conditioning system. The Dometic air conditioning system and the HydroHot were integrated by adding an additional Dometic Controller. That Controller is a standalone unit that normally talks to a Dometic air conditioner (like a Brisk II). The Dometic Controller is nothing more than the board (that is usually in a Penguin) placed inside a metal box.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:42 PM   #20

Hello All,
After having received the thermostat, installed it and took a short trip I have to report that everything checks out perfect.
The ACs' purr away just fine (although because of poor shipping the rear unit was bent a little and the blower fan is rubbing its plastic shroud a little), the thermostat works like a charm. The stated possibility of Hydro Hot communication problems proofed non-existent as everything is talking well with each other.
The pictures show our Hydro Hot and its control board.
I did use the airflow separation foam from our old units to prevent the cool air from getting mixed with the return duct.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6908 Hydro Hot.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	253983   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6909 Hydro Hot control board.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	365.8 KB
ID:	253984  

Old 07-20-2019, 05:26 PM   #21
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I am starting same process replacing an older A/C unit with a Penguin II. Also have Hydrohot but I am planning on keeping the 5 button tstat and just add the new control board. I had no idea another device may had been between the Hydrohot and A/C-Tstat. Since I Am sticking with the older CCC hoping everything works fine.
Old 07-20-2019, 08:53 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you still have the old A/C units, remove the circuit boards from each unit. Then remove the new unit circuit boards and install the old circuit boards into the new units. Be sure to check the proper DIP switch settings, they should be correct when transferring the circuit boards.
I did that to my unit exchange a few months ago. The system works normally with the old thermostat .
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 12:05 AM   #23

I was told that the new units are not compatible with the old control boards.
Btw, the new units ARE significantly louder than the old ones.
And they are not as efficient either in my opinion.

Thomas
Old 07-21-2019, 05:35 AM   #24

Quote:
Hello All,
After having received the thermostat, installed it and took a short trip I have to report that everything checks out perfect.
The ACs' purr away just fine (although because of poor shipping the rear unit was bent a little and the blower fan is rubbing its plastic shroud a little), the thermostat works like a charm. The stated possibility of Hydro Hot communication problems proofed non-existent as everything is talking well with each other.
The pictures show our Hydro Hot and its control board.
I did use the airflow separation foam from our old units to prevent the cool air from getting mixed with the return duct.
This depends on how many Zones your RV has ... in my case, there are 4 Zones available on the thermostat. There are 4 wall sensors.
Old 07-21-2019, 07:11 AM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
I was told that the new units are not compatible with the old control boards.
Btw, the new units ARE significantly louder than the old ones.
And they are not as efficient either in my opinion.

Thomas
I replaced one unit in March. The new unit came with the new board that is comparable with the updated thermostat. So, I had to decide to buy a new updated thermostat and a new board for the older still running heat pump so both units would talk to the new updated thermostat. I elected to remove the old board from the old unit being replaced and install it in the new a/c unit. I kept the removed, new, board for future use if I need to replace the old a/c unit and upgrade to the new thermostat.
So, from my experience, I would say you got some bad advice concerning the compatibility of the old board with the new units.
rvbiker45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2019, 08:26 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvbiker45 View Post
I replaced one unit in March. The new unit came with the new board that is comparable with the updated thermostat. So, I had to decide to buy a new updated thermostat and a new board for the older still running heat pump so both units would talk to the new updated thermostat. I elected to remove the old board from the old unit being replaced and install it in the new a/c unit. I kept the removed, new, board for future use if I need to replace the old a/c unit and upgrade to the new thermostat.
So, from my experience, I would say you got some bad advice concerning the compatibility of the old board with the new units.

The difference is the new board will default the topside unit to A/C (on a heatpump) if the reverser fails. The old board defaulted to heatpump.

Tags
heat, heat pump, install