Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2019, 05:30 PM   #1

Penguin2 heat pump install dilemma PLEASE HELP

Hello All,
Just installed (2) new Dometic Penguin 2 heat pump ACs (651816CXX1J0).
The new CC2 Thermostat didn't come in yet so I am using my current 5 button thermostat, (as the people at Dometic assured me that both would be plug-and-play).
Now the units won't fire up.
I set the dip switches accordingly but when I turn on the thermostat the mode, temperature, and other read outs disappear after a few seconds and only the zone numbers "1" and "2" remain on the read-out.
I don't even have an option furnace anymore to choose from (I have a hydro hot system).

I have reservations starting tomorrow and no ACs functioning.
Please help.
Thank you,
Thomas
AustroTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2019, 06:04 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
I have the CCC2 thermostat. After installation you have to reset the thermostat, on the CCC2 by holding the mode and zone buttons together and it will reset and then display available zones. There is then a setup procedure/initialization. ....Maybe the manual for your thermostat has a similar procedure to initialize.. Or call dometic again.
Not quite plug and play.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 06:04 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Not being a smart butt, I would call Dometic.
Old 07-11-2019, 06:12 PM   #4

I will try to reset thanks.

I would LOVE to call Dometic but being 5:11 here in CA I believe it's now 8:30 in Indiana?
Old 07-11-2019, 06:30 PM   #5

Do you have the manual for the thermostat? It can be downloaded from their website.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 07:10 PM   #6

That's a no go. the 5 button can't be reset.
I think some of you posters are right, the new acs don't work with the 5 button.
My new ccc2 won't come in before my scheduled trip departure.
So I'm screwed
Old 07-11-2019, 08:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustroTom View Post
That's a no go. the 5 button can't be reset.
I think some of you posters are right, the new acs don't work with the 5 button.
My new ccc2 won't come in before my scheduled trip departure.
So I'm screwed

Who ever you purchased from did not know what they were talking about. You need an entirely different control board for the old thermostat to work with the new units. This was a determining factor in us replacing both of ours at the same time and upgrading to the new thermostat.

The instruction manuals are pretty straight forward for install.
Old 07-11-2019, 10:19 PM   #8

Dometic told me over 8 months ago that I would be fine with either thermostat on the 651816CXX1J0 . Lesson learned I guess
Old 07-12-2019, 05:46 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Penguin2 heat pump install dilemma PLEASE HELP

Yep if your using the old 5 button you need a different control board In the ac They gave you bad info.
The new ac will work yes but needs modification or the new compatible thermostat. This is a common thermostat .. isn’t there a rv supply store near you to pick up one? Or overnight amazon ? Then send back the other one when it comes
Old 07-12-2019, 06:15 AM   #10

Well I guess you allready know the new units won't work with the old thermostate unless you change the board. Cheaper to buy the new thermostate.
I just changed both of mine last week with same exact units.
I backed my coach next to my deck to put the new ones on roof and threw the old ones off.

mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 07:03 AM   #11

hi guys,
tried all closer rv stores. No one has it in stock.
I bought the ACs from amazon and arrived with UPS (which were all banged up by the way, never have anything shipped heavier than 20lbs via UPS, they just toss it around in the little truck). Didn't have time to complain and or wait for new ones.
Also no installation or operation manuals either. And no airflow separator foam (had no idea I needed that, took them from the old ones). Small chance the CCC2 will arrive today in time, if not I will contact a Campingworld on the way and see if they have one in stock.
Thank you all so much for your great help, (a lot of things I haven't thought of).
(by the way, the new ACs also don't fit the existing holes on the roof from the old ones, which was a huge bummer). A lot of holes to patch and seal.
Old 07-12-2019, 07:35 AM   #12

Mine went right in perfect fit. I used my foam divider over also and my inside grate. I hear some newmars need some rework.
Mine had no instruction manual either but it's pretty basic
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 10:55 AM   #13
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I'm pretty sure the new A/C units won't work with the old 5-button thermostat!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:39 AM   #14

I will net out all the bad news:
1) Penguin II units only work with a CCC2 ($100) OR you can add 2 new adapter boards ($100 each) to the new Penguin II units to make them work with the old CCC.
2) Newmar installations require a Newmar specific "dogleg" foam gasket ... it's not a Dometic part.
3) If you have a HydroHot it probably has a separate Dometic control unit that is now incompatible with your Penguin II units and the CCC2. The control unit for the HydroHot with CCC2 is 3312020.000 (about $125). The control unit is usually on the back wall of the lower cabinet in the hall bath ... under the sink.
4) if you have AGS (Auto Gen Start) you may have an issue with that.

OK ... now the good news ... everything can be made to work correctly.
Feel free to post any questions but please provide everything we need to know ... RV model and year and any features.

Tags
heat, heat pump, install