Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-17-2014, 06:15 PM   #1

Entegra Owners Club
Pennsylvania class b non commercial license endorsement

anyone in PA have any experience with this endorsement and the process in getting it in PA? I'm getting conflicting information form pendot. Thanks.

Paul A.
Scranton, PA
2013 Aspire 42RBQ
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
PPAinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-17-2014, 06:19 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi Paul, if you read this good PennDOT Driver and Vehicle Services - Classes of Licenses , it explains what you need as far as a license for what you are wanting to drive.

2000 Newmar MADP 4060, 350ISC, Spartan MM, IFS 2011 Jeep JK, M&G Braking, 2014 MTI 27' Hog Hauler, Wireless brake control, 2006Ultra & 1989 Springer
palehorse89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #3
Tiffin Owners Club
The process I went through was to go to Pa drivers center, pick up application for temporary permit (good for one year). If you have air brakes get the CDL book that covers this as well. Go home, study, get someone with class B non-commercial license to go with you to testing center. Take driving test.
Bill Mahan
2012 Allegro Bus 43 QGP
Oldrtrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2014, 06:35 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
Thank you...

that's for the information. I have 2 brothers-in-law that are both PA State Trooper and they were confused as well. I will fill out the application I found on line for the permit and head down to my local dmv for the manual. Thanks again for your help. I have only been here since October and I must say everyone has been really great in answering questions and offering help. thanks again.
Paul A.
Scranton, PA
2013 Aspire 42RBQ
2014 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium
PPAinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:05 PM   #5
I live near Greensburg, PA. It took me 3 trips the our PennDOT licensing center to get the correct application. It seems most don't know the rules for RV's and the folks that worked there gave me the wrong paperwork. Actually, anyone driving any non- commercial vehicle over 26,000 lbs. requires a Class B Non-Commercial endorsement. There is no written test. There is an oral test if the unit has air brakes. You should now the test by memory. This includes the proper compressor psi limits and acceptable psi loss/recovery times including warning horns or warning light switch settings. The driving test is very straight forward. The only thing that seems unusual is you'll be required to parallel park. Yes, it seemed strange to me. I have never parallel parked my RV.....but I think it is the first skill you do before leaving the PADOT parking lot. If you can't do that, they figure you can't maneuver safely on the highway. They set up a couple of cones on a parking space next to you and you need to back into a parallel spot without hitting the cones or crossing the white lines marking the spot beside you. You cannot get out of your rv. You cannot get help from anyone and you get one shot at it. I found it quite easy. You can use the backup camera.

If you pull a trailer that weighs over 10,000 lbs, you need a Class "A" Non-Commercial license and you would need to take the trailer with you when you go for the test. You must also have Class A or B licensed driver with you when you go to the center to take the test. The additional driver can be licensed either commercial or non-commercial. You are not allowed legally to drive without a license so you'd be illegal going to the test site. And if you fail the test, the licensed driver must drive the unit home.

Any one pulling a trailer over 10K or having a combined truck & trailer over 26K needs a special license too. I doubt you'd get a ticket if you didn't have the proper license because as you said, most troopers don't know the law either. But god for bid, if you had an accident, your going to be taken to the cleaners by an attorney.

Hope this is clear to you and helps. It sounds like a lot but it really pretty easy.
lshew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2014, 06:20 PM   #6

Pennsylvania class b non commercial license endorsement

Check out this thread ((below). It covers this real well.
I had no written test, did not need a class B driver to get me to the test station, was familiarized on air brakes but not tested. The driving test was easy and without parallel parking.

Pennsylvania RV Drivers License

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote