Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-20-2010, 07:28 PM   #1

percentage

Hi
I was wondering if you were to buy an used motorhome, What percentage would you take off the retail price: 10%, 20% ? Is it a different percentage for a purchase from a dealer or a private sale? Thanks Steve

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-20-2010, 07:42 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
I'm not sure any formula would work going back to original price too many variables such as wear and tear.

I would look at as many coaches for sale on line as I could find that compares and use that as a basis for starting negotiating.

Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:46 PM   #3

If you find one you like go to the NADA website - selcet the RV portion and then look for the brand/model you are considering. That should give you an idea of the book value. That value may chage from area to area, the condition of the vehicle and may only be a bank value not exactly what you would expect to pay.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
percentage

We bought this August direct from owner. He had bought as a short sale and we bought from him. We paid about $10,000.00 under book and he had bought $15,000.00 under book. So with so many people selling for either gas prices, job loss etc. there good deals if you look.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:26 PM   #5

SMAC - The key to buying any used machines is to know about what the fair market value is. You generally get a sense of that by checking what similar coaches have sold for. When you figure out about what a fair price is you can decide what to offer. If the guy is too cheep just smile and write the check. If he is too high offer a bit less than it is worth. To get an idea of FMV check the ebay sold list, PPL motor homes sold list, NAPL low retail prices. And so on.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:34 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to frederick w
I spent years in the car business. The blue book didn't
always refect the actualy value of a car. Some cars sold
over book. I paid a little more than I wanted for my 30 ft.
flair but the dealers couldn't that sise of MH on the lot. Ended up paying full price from a private party but I got what I wanted.
Condition of the unit is my preferance, not always price.
And some people have different requirements.
Just my experience. Best wishes.
Old 12-21-2010, 07:49 AM   #7

With dealers nothing is done until it is proven to us that they own the vehicle, we offer 8% OVER what they paid for it, not a penny more and the dealer must show the price paid/trade given.

With private sales we sit down, thank the owners for taking the time to meet with us, place the check book on the table and ask them for THEIR best price.

In either instance it is made clear that WE have several other coaches to look at.

Of course the seller is made aware that an oil sample will be taken of both the engine and trans lube-motorhomes- and that the results must be satisfactory for us.

Obvious neglect and indication of any significant damage immediately eliminate any rv and of course a third party is hired to do an inspection.
Old 12-22-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

No fixed percentage is possible, since there is no fixed asking price (list price) as there would be for a new rig. Private sale asking prices are all over the map, often driven by what the owner owes rather than what it is worth. Dealers tend to be closer to the NADA book value, but even then it varies a lot by local demand or simply how the dealer chooses to price. For example, he may inflate the asking price so he can offer a better trade-in or discount to potential buyers.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 09:12 AM   #9

Gary, everyone has a miniumum or fixed price that they will accept for the rv-buyers, not sellers are in the drivers seat.
Buying from a dealer makes the least sense, in an attempt to move a new unit they offered too much for the trade expecting that the difference, then some, will be made up by the saps they sell the trade to; and when considering that absolutely nothing of substance will be done to the unit before sale our guidelines are perhaps too fair.

We feel the private transaction is less risky; simply by meeting the owners gives you alot of info about how the rv was taken care of, if the house they live in is a mess its a sure bet that the rv is also-each time we have asked for the lowest acceptable price it was far above what the unit was worth to US and we passed, to date all the owners have called us asking if we would reconsider at such and such a price-we simply say that a purchase has already been made, no games for us-its our money and there are zillions of coaches out there for sale.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:43 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Gary, everyone has a miniumum or fixed price that they will accept for the rv-buyers, not sellers are in the drivers seat.
Perhaps I should have said there is no published price, ergo there can be no standard discount percentage. My minimum price may be much different than yours for the same item.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 10:24 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I found this a while back and it is at least a good gauge of percentages to consider. Of course condition has a lot to do with it also. Plug in your own numbers. The formatting for the chart won't print right so here is a link to the entire post.
RV Value -- Buying a Used RV

bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote