Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-20-2012, 09:23 AM   #1

Performance Chips

Has anyone had any experience with the G Force Performance chips in an 8.1 Workhorse?
Results?
Would you do it again or is it a waste of time and money?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Have not "Chipped" yet,, Do not know if I will but I will say this.

There are many chip outfits out there.. Two "engine enhancement" companies are Ultra Power and Banks, Both of these are time proven and good systems.. UP will stand behind their product (or at least their dealers do).

G-Force.. I have never heard of.

I have heard of cases where people "Chipped" a Workhorse and seriously messed up several systems on the coach including the brakes.

Now... A motor home that will not start.. Is ssafe

A motor home that will not STOP... IS NOT!\

You are doing the right thing by asking for expierenced comments, but beware the company shill who posts a rave review because he's paid to.

Page 2 of this: There is a product I won't name that is highly advertised on TV per the ad Rave Reviews keep coming in... Just for the heck of it I checked out Amazon on that same product and they have well over a thousand Rave reviews.

About 2 dozen were positive

The rest were raving mad at the product and had nothing at all good to say about it.

Old 08-20-2012, 01:59 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv Schade View Post
Has anyone had any experience with the G Force Performance chips in an 8.1 Workhorse?
Results?
Ultrapower is the ONLY option for the WH. And there hasnt been a "chip" since throttlebody 454s. Nowadays engine ECUs are flashed or swapped.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:42 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv Schade
Results?
I've read a lot of reviews concerning the Ultrapower. None of them were very positive. Almost 'nil on mileage increase. It does provide more power while climbing. Is it worth the monies? I don't think so
Old 08-20-2012, 07:48 PM   #5

I cannot answer for your 8.1 however I purchased one for my new V-6 Equinox and it did bobka , nadda , zippo and G Force seemed like they really didnt know why or for that matter didnt know even how it hooked up since their instructions didnt cover the wireing system the Equinox had. Their adds are the best part of the product.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:23 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by krf9113 View Post
I've read a lot of reviews concerning the Ultrapower. None of them were very positive. Almost 'nil on mileage increase. It does provide more power while climbing. Is it worth the monies? I don't think so
Can you quantify "alot" and where are you reading these dissenting opinions??

Even if you got 1/2 the claimed HP/Torque from it... its still a bargain performance vs cost wise.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:43 AM   #7

It is only a bargan if you have proof they improved HP , performance and mileage. To do that you would need to run a test on a Dyno before and after.
I can improve my performance on all three by slowing down 15 mph.
Old 08-21-2012, 09:49 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
It is only a bargan if you have proof they improved HP , performance and mileage. To do that you would need to run a test on a Dyno before and after.
I can improve my performance on all three by slowing down 15 mph.
I believe UP has run rear wheel dyno tests to prove the claim on HP and torque.

AHHHH...reference MPG. It doesn't make sense to expect much more in the way of MPG UNLESS one doesn't use the extra HP. More HP means you need more fuel. Step on the gas after the mod and you will use more gas. Floor it on a hill and it will use more gas. OTOH, if you only use the extra HP sparingly, you should not see any real drop in MPG on average over the bulk of miles.

For me, I would say that if I made such a choice it would be for the reserve HP it will give me and not for the MPG. However, I "think" that in my flat land world of central IL that I could actually see some increase in MPG...maybe.