Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-01-2009, 10:19 AM   #15
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok a fact or two about chips: The motor home I drive has a Chevy 8.1L Vortec, what is that 425 hp or there about.

Now, you can chip it up to over 500 HP, in fact the marine version of this same engine is rated at over 500 HP.. (Of course the marine version has a somewhat larger "Radiator" than what is in my Motor Home.

Only difference in the engine is that chip.

Chevy designed the engine to be "Multi Use" depending on that chip, Pickup gets one chip, Big truck another, Motor home yet another, Boat, still another.. Only the chip changes.

Catch is, for motor homes (And pickups) You do not know PRECISELY what will be mounted behind/over that engine. So you can not possibly factory program it for the absolute best.. You can get close though.

Banks and Ultra Power both have done the design work they have tuned intake and exhaust, also larger intake and exhause, this allows the engine to breath better, they make other physical changes as well as the new chip.. and they can taylor the chip to better match your vehicle than the factory can for one simple reason.

They "Burn" the chip AFTER seeing what's mounted on the chassis.

Other companies also make performancing enhancing chips, however in many case it's nothing but a different chassis program. And that does not always work well

Just as an example.. The brakes used on a Chevy Silverado are completly different from the brakes used by Workhorse so if you put a sliverado chip in a workhorse, you disable the ABS system.

Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2009, 08:52 AM   #16
Well Ti5er ;
That must make you an expert in all things on this earth.

Sorry for voicing my opinion and asking the question.
I didn’t realize there were experts like you out there that know how everything on this earth works. Next time I will ask you first before putting out a post.

Next time sit and think to yourself and keep your 2 cents.
Twist a frame into…what?

It’s people like you that keep people like me employed, thank you!

tooldr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2009, 10:50 AM   #17
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Time out folks.

iRV2's rules do not permit flaming or discussing each other.

Discuss the issue without the personal comments.

From our rules, in part;

Do not engage in personal attacks. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. Sarcasm, belligerence, insults, profanity, extreme anger, offensive comments about race, gender, sexual orientation,and national origin are not acceptable.
We take the "be nice" rule VERY seriously! We do not tolerate ANY rudeness. If we feel the guidelines are violated we may remove, edit or delete posts and if necessary restrict or remove account access.
Adios, Dirk - '84 Real Lite Truck Camper, '86 Wilderness Cimarron TT, previously 4 years as a fulltimer in a '07 DSDP

No trees were harmed in the transmission of this message, but millions of electrons were temporarily inconvenienced.

Route 66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 08:20 PM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
I'm another who takes a perverse pleasure in coloring outside the lines.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 08:22 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I had a 2000 F350 crew cab with a Banks system installed. I put it all on myself except for the exhaust. The truck towed my 32 ft. 5th wheel across the country 5 times with zero problems. It did enhance the pulling because it was a "system". It had intake,exhaust, piping, trans and power chips. The truck never ran hot always started and towed. I gave the truck to my kids last year with 150,000 miles and still running.

The last is the Moss-Magnusson Law. It is about aftermarket parts voiding your warrenty. Ford can/will deny warrenty work if your truck has been chipped. If you claim the law they will say :Sue Me. After five years and all them lawyers fees Ford will then say Oops My Bad you were right. And there you are a truck out of warrenty and you out of pocket for lawyers fees and court costs. If you are lucky Ford will pay cout costs and lawyer fees. Your call. I chipped my truck when it had 500 miles on the clock and ran it for 10 years. Not expecting any warrenty work to be done.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 37WDS
2003 Honda Goldwing Trike
CyberVet65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 11:05 AM   #20
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One option is to chip it POST WARRANTY.

However.. Most warranties carry a statement something like:

"You may have other rights which vary from state to state"

Generally these rights are outlined in somethign called the Uniform Commercial Code... NOTE: Outlined, not enumurated.

IT pays to know what your rights are.

And as for M.M. Warranty act and suing ford.

Once one owner gets ford to pay the repairs.. THe rest of them have an easier job of it. (Again, that's a general statement)

However. I do know of at least Two cases.. One Ford, One GM, where the owner had chipped and otherwise modified the blazes out of the engine... A pistion with religion (It turned HOLY, or holey) was their reward.

In both cases it was very clearly the performance enhancements that fried the engine and warranty was denied.

I spoke with the decision maker on one (GM) and the messanger on the other (Ford) (The prson who had the job of informing the owner "SORRY, no coverage")

I will state that the modifications to these engines were not the Banks or Ultra Power systems, but other brands...

I have heard of folks with the Ultra Power system being denied.. Only to have the folks who make and distribute U.P. fix it anyway.. They stand behind their product it seems.

So when I say that when I get to the point where I can do it.. I'll go with UltraPower

That is part of the reason why. (just part, but a very important part)
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 06:45 PM   #21
I have an '02 F-550 with a 7.3L Powerstroke. It's been driven over 35,000 miles updated by a "programmer", most of which was towing a 17,000# trailer. No problems, at all (other than a hiccup when too much power was added when the engine was cold. It increased the "top out" speed over my "favorite" hill from 65>54 to 65>59, and gave me about a 5% boost in fuel economy.

Norm & Janet

FMCA; WIT; FCOA; Good Sam; Passport
porscheracer is offline   Reply With Quote