Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-08-2013, 10:43 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Performance Programmers Anyone?

Good day to all, we just purchased a new to us 2004 Gulfstream Atrium. As a certified mechanic I strive to get every bit of power& economy out of our coach. We have the 330 Cat C7 on a Freightliner chassis and it has plenty of power "But" after reading write-ups on these programmers they promise 100 HP more along with a 15% increase in fuel economy. Who wouldn't want that right? Well after reading some forums on the topic it seems that some people are against the programmer. They claim that with increased fuel rail pressures and changes in the MAP sensor readings that it is hard on the engine and the claims of 100 HP going hand in hand with the 15% increase in economy are way out to lunch! Has anyone here had any experience with programmers good or bad?
Thanks in advance for any help.
mdpuff
mdpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-08-2013, 12:15 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
One other thing to check is if the transmission can handle the extra HP and torque.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:32 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpuff View Post
Good day to all, we just purchased a new to us 2004 Gulfstream Atrium. As a certified mechanic I strive to get every bit of power& economy out of our coach. We have the 330 Cat C7 on a Freightliner chassis and it has plenty of power "But" after reading write-ups on these programmers they promise 100 HP more along with a 15% increase in fuel economy. Who wouldn't want that right? Well after reading some forums on the topic it seems that some people are against the programmer. They claim that with increased fuel rail pressures and changes in the MAP sensor readings that it is hard on the engine and the claims of 100 HP going hand in hand with the 15% increase in economy are way out to lunch! Has anyone here had any experience with programmers good or bad?
Thanks in advance for any help.
mdpuff
I have a 2008 425ISL and Installed the Diesel Power Digi CRTV Power Module
and its works very well.I get a noteable power increase and when in a no load
like flat road cruising I get better fuel mileage.NOTE u will not get better fuel mileage while your foots stuck in the throttle
I believe only the MP8 is available for a 04 C7
McRvnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 02:57 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
mdpuff: I'm following your thread because I have the same questions only relative to the 330 Cummins in my Monaco Knight.

I'm skeptical about ads that claim 100 hp increases on these medium heavy motorhome engines. I DO believe it on the smaller pickup truck versions. Not long ago I had a Dodge 1 ton dually with the 6.7L cummins. I did all the emission control deletes and changed out the cold air intake and added 4" turbo back exhaust along with installing an H&R Mini Maxx programmer/tuner. WOW....it pulled my 38' 5th wheel sooo much better. It gave me the best MPG on the highest setting which I think was advertised to at about 150 HP above stock. My MPG ranged between 11mpg and 14mpg depending on the terrain, wind, my foot and you know all the variables.

I would LOVE to repeat that with my 330 Cummins in this coach. But how can I? I'd like to have a Cummins service center flash my ECU or PCM or whatever one it is and give me SOME improvements....anyone ever try to have that done on an older model????
DanandBetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 03:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanandBetty View Post
mdpuff: I'm following your thread because I have the same questions only relative to the 330 Cummins in my Monaco Knight.

I'm skeptical about ads that claim 100 hp increases on these medium heavy motorhome engines. I DO believe it on the smaller pickup truck versions. Not long ago I had a Dodge 1 ton dually with the 6.7L cummins. I did all the emission control deletes and changed out the cold air intake and added 4" turbo back exhaust along with installing an H&R Mini Maxx programmer/tuner. WOW....it pulled my 38' 5th wheel sooo much better. It gave me the best MPG on the highest setting which I think was advertised to at about 150 HP above stock. My MPG ranged between 11mpg and 14mpg depending on the terrain, wind, my foot and you know all the variables.

I would LOVE to repeat that with my 330 Cummins in this coach. But how can I? I'd like to have a Cummins service center flash my ECU or PCM or whatever one it is and give me SOME improvements....anyone ever try to have that done on an older model????
MP8 is the only one available and does not claim100HP It claims up to 20%(66) there is NO 330HP diesel pusher that will see 11 never mind 14
Old 12-08-2013, 06:54 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Thank you so much for the responses! I am not trying to build a race RV just wanting to get the best all round performance from what I have without hurting anything. The extra power would be nice climbing mountain grades and of course who doesn't want more MPG. Bully Dog has a programmer (very expensive) and they claim "Up To 100 HP increase along with 12 to 14% fuel economy increase" Of course the manufacture's claims are always more than real life, that is why I would like feed back from the "REAL WORLD" before I make the leap. I know you can go to Cat & have them flash the ECU to a newer program. Our 04 is rated at 330 HP and the 05 and up are the exact same engine rated at 350 HP. Like I say, I don't want to add anything that "Might" do some damage just would like better efficiency.

Thanks!
mdpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:17 PM   #7

This is my opinion which has been developed over the last ten years of DP ownership. Most of us have driven many miles in personal vehicles whether pick up or auto, whether gas or diesel. These vehicles have 10-20 pounds of weight per hp available. The benchmark with a diesel motorhome is one hp per 100 pounds of vehicle weight. It's a tough process to learn that you don't have a vast reserve of power when the ground rises up before us and the speedo starts winding down.

Save the $$$ you might spend on incremental power increases for keeping the PM up to snuff and diesel for traveling. Learn to manage the power and torque you have and you will be happy and you won't put extra stress on your equipment.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdpuff View Post
Thank you so much for the responses! I am not trying to build a race RV just wanting to get the best all round performance from what I have without hurting anything. The extra power would be nice climbing mountain grades and of course who doesn't want more MPG. Bully Dog has a programmer (very expensive) and they claim "Up To 100 HP increase along with 12 to 14% fuel economy increase" Of course the manufacture's claims are always more than real life, that is why I would like feed back from the "REAL WORLD" before I make the leap. I know you can go to Cat & have them flash the ECU to a newer program. Our 04 is rated at 330 HP and the 05 and up are the exact same engine rated at 350 HP. Like I say, I don't want to add anything that "Might" do some damage just would like better efficiency.

Thanks!
the Bully dog is only 600.00 ?? all the module tuners I have looked at and the one I bought are in the 5-600$ area and have not seen or heard of these units
doing any damage
Old 12-08-2013, 09:29 PM   #9

It would be prudent to check the HP/torque specs for your Allison transmission before adding HP. For instance, My MH has a Cummins ISC 8.3,@ 350HP. Allison is an MD 3066. That Allison pdf plainly shows my transmission is safely handling its maximum capacity with the stock ISC engine.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote