Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2014, 05:39 PM   #1

Permanent Inverter Removal?

We are looking into permanently removing the inverter from our '08 Winnebago Chalet (clA gas). The device that allows you to power the TV/VCR using the coach batteries. This is something that we never do so we would like to remove it and use that space for other storage. What problems will I cause by doing this? Thanks!

Wheezer
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2014, 05:50 PM   #2

If it is stand alone converter and not a combination , inverter/ converter/charger , that some newer RVs are equipped with. Then disconnect and tag the 12v. power wire at it's source. Probably a circuit breaker. Insulate and tag the 12v wires that you remove from the inverter.
tie them back out of your way. Keep the inverter for re-installation when you sell or trade.
Is there a 120v plug in or hook up on the inverter?
Old 08-02-2014, 06:04 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You will loose the ability to run your TV"s off the batteries.. Well that is hte major one.. HOWEVER.. There might be another

Inverters can be divided up several ways. For this discussion I am only interested in one division, Those that also charge batteries and those that do not.

IF yours is also your converter.. You will need to replace it with a converter and thus loose your space savings.

Some motor homes come with a small (like 300 - 600) watt inverter that JUST powers the TV's it may have power pass through or it may feed a transfer switch.

Others the inverter is also the battery charger (Mine is the back up-high speed-charger,,, But it's also after market) On those your batteries will die.

If you can post make and model of inverter, we can tell you which it is.

(On mine, though the Prosine is one fine converter/charger as well as an inverter I like the Progressive Dynamics a little bit better so I disable the converter module unless 1: I accidently unplug the PDI (usually figure it out long about 3 amp and no way am I getting dressed going out and plugging it back in at 3am) or am charging with generator,, PDI 80 amps, Prosine 100 and I have enough battery to eat 100 amps (They will too).
Old 08-03-2014, 12:21 AM   #4

I don't know the make/model yet but I can tell you that it is a stand alone inverter. My converter is separate and in another place, we already had to replace/up-grade it. I do think it has a transfer switch though- the TV shuts off when the engine is running. Not to worry though, we are not big TV watchers and what TV we do watch is usually on our individual devices. Thanks. I will find the make/model info tomorrow.

Wheezer
Old 08-03-2014, 12:37 AM   #5

If you can't find info on it , just post a picture.
Old 08-03-2014, 05:29 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why, Why, Why?

Heck, we're all looking to add inverters. It can't be taking up that much room, especially if you can't find it.

Folks are adding house refrigerators in their rigs in order to replace these gas absorption units presently in their rigs. That requires a pure sign wave inverter (in most cases) as your cruising down the highway. I installed a pure sine wave unit in mine so that I could run a small refridge/freezer unit in a lower storage bay. We use that freezer all the time as we are on the road about 9 months out of the year.
I like stopping to eat lunch on the highway and watch the local news. It also keeps my Verizon Mi-Fi router going so that Cindy can be on line.

I just don't get it- Removing an inverter-
Old 08-03-2014, 06:24 AM   #7
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheezer View Post
We are looking into permanently removing the inverter from our '08 Winnebago Chalet (clA gas). The device that allows you to power the TV/VCR using the coach batteries. This is something that we never do so we would like to remove it and use that space for other storage. What problems will I cause by doing this? Thanks!

Wheezer

Bad for resale/trade-in value.
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
Yup. Plus the fact that if you need to remove it to gain more storage space, you have to much stuff.

It would be best to find out exactly what would be effected if you did remove it. There might be more to it than just cutting the wires and takng it out.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:01 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post

Yep, I wouldn't do it for that reason alone! JMHO
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:06 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Since you have a converter located elsewhere, No problem, simply replace it with a unction box and cap off the 12 volt leads (Screw on a wire nut if they are small enough and TAPE over that) Cover those well.
Old 08-04-2014, 09:03 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Go ahead if you want - any concern about resale value is a noise-level thing, in my opinion. If trading in, a dealer won't even care, let alone actually check that.

The only real concern will be finding a 120v source near by to provide the power. If there is one handy, great. If not, perhaps too much work for such little space gain. That inverter can't be very large at all...
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:33 PM   #12

It sounds like you have a small inverter for the TV's only, if so just plug TVs into a 110 circuit and remove the inverter. If that's the case removing the small inverter will not create much room if any.
chastho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 12:05 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Hubrich View Post
Why, Why, Why?

Heck, we're all looking to add inverters. It can't be taking up that much room, especially if you can't find it.

Folks are adding house refrigerators in their rigs in order to replace these gas absorption units presently in their rigs. That requires a pure sign wave inverter (in most cases) as your cruising down the highway. I installed a pure sine wave unit in mine so that I could run a small refridge/freezer unit in a lower storage bay. We use that freezer all the time as we are on the road about 9 months out of the year.
I like stopping to eat lunch on the highway and watch the local news. It also keeps my Verizon Mi-Fi router going so that Cindy can be on line.

I just don't get it- Removing an inverter-
Actually I believe you are incorrect. I am not sure which brands have to have a pure sine wave inverter. I am not sure if any do to be honest. I have a good old fashioned Frigidaire home style refrigerator in my MH it was in there when I bought the unit used and has been used a lot for the two years I have had it. When I am travelling I use my MSW inverter to power the refrigerator and let the alternator charge the batteries. I believe where there is a problem with MSW inverters is with purely resistive heat devices such as electric blankets, hair dryers etc. Motors do not seem to care that much. Neither does my convection/microwave oven. Or my TV or my Dish network Hopper. My laptop does not care but I am not surprised at that since it basically a DC device.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter, removal