Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2018, 07:59 AM   #1

RV Trip Wizard
Pet Peeve on Long Shake Down Trip

Hello everybody. We picked up our new to us 2008 Newmar DSDP on August 1 and proceeded to take it from Louisiana to OK, TX, NM, CO, WY, MT, SD, MN, and back to WI. Needless to say we experienced a lot, fixed some issues and saw some BEAUTIFUL country!! Getting ready to head down this week to FL

I was reading the thread about Parking and Backing Up at Night by Peter M. Busskipper told a story of his friend with a new coach that did damage on a boulder. I CANT TELL YOU how much I hate campgrounds that decorate with HUGE boulders! We went to one that offered to come down and back us out of our site because a brand new coach (first ride) ruined all its storage bays because of the darn boulders. I understand protecting grass, but sometimes it gets totally crazy. We are driving big rigs, seriously. They decorate and protect their grass with a huge friggin boulder that will do serious damage. And some (most) are not placed very helpfully. One place we stayed at routed us one way. We took the toad and went to see our site-- they obviously had never driven a big RV because the huge boulders were, most likely doable, but WHY? Why take that chance? We went around the exact opposite way-- still had to be careful (as always) but why defend the grass with obstacles that would cost thousands of dollars in repair?? It just drives me nuts. I know it makes us be even more careful-- I get it. We really aren't out to any destruction to anyplace we stay. Just a pet peeve we talked about (and laughed at because on the consistency in decor) a lot of times when we pulled in.
DavenMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2018, 08:11 AM   #2

Boulders belong to the park, are cheap, and don't need repair. RV repairs belong to the RV owner so the park does not have an interest.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:54 AM   #3

I certainly know where your coming from. I had a bolder in counter only at a gas station. I had to back up in order to move to a pump and before I knew it I backed into a bolder and damage the lower part of my ladder, which when I got home I had to cut it off. So those bolders can pop up almost anywhere. Keep an eye out for them or better yet use a spotter.
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:39 AM   #4

Hummmm

Let's see----if CG owners don't protect lawns folks will cut the corners and destroy the landscaping and then they will complain that the place is run down and don't maintain the landscaping.
If they stop trying to keep/maintain the lawns then folks will complain it is too dusty

Then when CG Owners place obstacles to stop folks from cutting corners and protect their investments folks complain they can't navigate the CG and blame CG Owners for damage to their RV

I get it.....I have encountered similar CG set ups.
Large tall overgrown trees are worst.
It's a Catch 22
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 11:57 AM   #5

RV Trip Wizard
Like I said- I get why they are there. I know they are cheap and protect the grass around it. Yes, we know how to navigate around them. One of us is always spotting for everything. I never said we don't/can't navigate around them. I just find it amazing to always use such a hazard to those you are attracting. Heck, the one where they offered to come down and assist- there wasn't even grass there! Just a designated boulder on the gravel
DavenMonica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:12 PM   #6

Watch our for low curbs under your oil pan in any campground (back in or pull in, depending on whether you are a diesel pusher or not). You do NOT want to dump your airbags and have the oil pan destroyed by the curb you may have overhung.

Nope - haven't done it - just read about it...
Domo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:21 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We had an encounter with a boulder hidden to close to a corner in weeds. The campground owner was very apologetic, moved it, and gave us a weeks free stay to compensate.
super_rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 12:41 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenMonica View Post
Like I said- I get why they are there. I know they are cheap and protect the grass around it. Yes, we know how to navigate around them. One of us is always spotting for everything. I never said we don't/can't navigate around them. I just find it amazing to always use such a hazard to those you are attracting. Heck, the one where they offered to come down and assist- there wasn't even grass there! Just a designated boulder on the gravel
So what would you suggest they use when some people just refuse to respect others properties. I have seen numerous times where people have driven their MH's over wet grassy areas sinking their tires into the grass. Or worse yet parking their toads on the grass, when they have too many vehicles for their campsite. I agree with Old Biscuit the CG owners can't win. If I were the owner of a CG I wouldn't rely on the customers to respect my property or rules in general.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 03:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavenMonica View Post
Hello everybody. We picked up our new to us 2008 Newmar DSDP on August 1 and proceeded to take it from Louisiana to OK, TX, NM, CO, WY, MT, SD, MN, and back to WI. Needless to say we experienced a lot, fixed some issues and saw some BEAUTIFUL country!! Getting ready to head down this week to FL

I was reading the thread about Parking and Backing Up at Night by Peter M. Busskipper told a story of his friend with a new coach that did damage on a boulder. I CANT TELL YOU how much I hate campgrounds that decorate with HUGE boulders! We went to one that offered to come down and back us out of our site because a brand new coach (first ride) ruined all its storage bays because of the darn boulders. I understand protecting grass, but sometimes it gets totally crazy. We are driving big rigs, seriously. They decorate and protect their grass with a huge friggin boulder that will do serious damage. And some (most) are not placed very helpfully. One place we stayed at routed us one way. We took the toad and went to see our site-- they obviously had never driven a big RV because the huge boulders were, most likely doable, but WHY? Why take that chance? We went around the exact opposite way-- still had to be careful (as always) but why defend the grass with obstacles that would cost thousands of dollars in repair?? It just drives me nuts. I know it makes us be even more careful-- I get it. We really aren't out to any destruction to anyplace we stay. Just a pet peeve we talked about (and laughed at because on the consistency in decor) a lot of times when we pulled in.

I have hauled, sold, placed and driven around boulders for decades and never, not once did one ever damage anything that belonged to me. I have dropped them, and bent truck beds. My drivers have hit them, and damaged trucks.
IMHO, if the rock is in your way, then if it was not there you would be on the grass. This shows you have no respect for the owner or his property. What reason do I have to respect you or yours?
ScoobyDoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 06:24 PM   #10

We have been full timing for two years now, we have 43 ft class A Tag, I concur about poorly place boulders restricting turning radius, seems many parks state big rig friendly , that may have been true 20 years ago when a big rig may have been shorter, my pet peave is trees planted on the end of sites many time Un trimmed, I have taken to using trimmers to cut back trees rather than scratching my rig. I doubt the designers of these type of parks ever drove a big rig.
Veloce007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 05:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloce007 View Post
We have been full timing for two years now, we have 43 ft class A Tag, I concur about poorly place boulders restricting turning radius, seems many parks state big rig friendly , that may have been true 20 years ago when a big rig may have been shorter, my pet peave is trees planted on the end of sites many time Un trimmed, I have taken to using trimmers to cut back trees rather than scratching my rig. I doubt the designers of these type of parks ever drove a big rig.

And another one...
Old 10-29-2018, 07:06 AM   #12

Maybe the campground owners should drive around their park in a big rig to see how “friendly” their sites are. Tight corners, low branches, un level sites. Things look great from a golf cart.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 09:14 AM   #13

One site I was on was just down the road from a tree had a big branch over the road. Tracks in grass on the other side. Watched most MH, and every 5th wheel at least get in other lane, many off road. When one trailer sank in wet ground, pickup spun out, I tossed a line over the branch, pulled the end of my tape up to bottom of the branch. Over 14 feet. Why should others pay (loose the beauty of tree, or repair the grass area) because you can't judge the height of limb?
Many times, a trailer or motor home will run feet from left edge with front wheel, drop right rear off pavement, and think nothing about it. But as soon as a rock is placed in that mud hole pumped on the inside of the turn, it's "Oh snot, now it's my stuff that will be damaged!" Now the driver can suddenly find the rest of the road.
I have to wonder; When the place says "Big Rig friendly" do you often find places that your rig will not fit? Or is it just places that you have to be careful to make it fit? Maybe places that show below average driving skills?
Old 10-29-2018, 11:52 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
I suspect the people that hit the boulders are the same ones that take out the campground power pedestals, signs, plumbing, other vehicles, etc..
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote