RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2018, 12:06 AM   #1

Pet Ramp vs Pet Stairs ?

I read a post where someone asked about getting their dog to go up a set of stairs and into their motor home.

Looking back at it, Iím thinking that maybe ďstairsĒ ARENíT the way to go. My dog (13 yrs. old, & approximately 60 lbs.) MIGHT be able to manage getting UP the stairs, but she might have trouble trying to navigate DOWN the stairs.

I have found a pet ramp for her, but itís only 60Ē x 16Ē. Being 5í long, that puts that ramp at slightly more of an angle than I would like for it to be.

Iím still working on a solution that would allow us to keep some sort of ramp in place for our dog, & still allow us access to the steps.

Anyone else use a ramp for their large dog?
How it that working out for you?

Is there anyone in the vicinity of the Houston area that builds a wooden structure (that has steps & a ramp) that could be set up next to the MH door?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2018, 05:38 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I need a solution too. But I don't think there is a ramp method that still leaves room for people to use the stairs at the same time.

My coach entry steps are 31 inches wide.
The ramps (long ones) I've seen are at least 24 inches wide. That doesn't leave enough room for a person to use the steps. I suppose one could walk up the ramp.

I'm thinking it may just have to be that someone sets up the ramp for dog to go out and then sets ramp aside until its time for dog to go back in. You would not be able to leave ramp in place - unless your are very thin and nimble.

Also, wood would be too heavy IMO. For one person to easily set, and remove, ramp it needs to be made of lightweight aluminum or plastic.

Something like these (one being 8ft in length to lessen angle)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	198202  

Old 04-08-2018, 05:40 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moxxi View Post
I read a post where someone asked about getting their dog to go up a set of stairs and into their motor home.

Looking back at it, Iím thinking that maybe ďstairsĒ ARENíT the way to go. My dog (13 yrs. old, & approximately 60 lbs.) MIGHT be able to manage getting UP the stairs, but she might have trouble trying to navigate DOWN the stairs.

I have found a pet ramp for her, but itís only 60Ē x 16Ē. Being 5í long, that puts that ramp at slightly more of an angle than I would like for it to be.

Iím still working on a solution that would allow us to keep some sort of ramp in place for our dog, & still allow us access to the steps.

Anyone else use a ramp for their large dog?
How it that working out for you?

Is there anyone in the vicinity of the Houston area that builds a wooden structure (that has steps & a ramp) that could be set up next to the MH door?
I am in Bastrop and will build you what ever you want for the price of the material. Just need to clarify exactly what you need so send me a private message or call 512 431 2940 leave a message and I will return the call. Our pets are important senior dogs should get some special treatment. Richard
Old 04-08-2018, 05:48 AM   #4
Ex Millwright / Army Vet

At first we bought a foldable ramp. I think it was from CW. To heavy, to wide and left little room for us.

Then I built myself a more narrow ramp out of 1" x 2" for the frame, topped it with 1/4" plywood, then glued on top some astro turf to provide traction. It was a one piece ramp, light weight and stored easily in the bay. Still a PIA because it also didn't provide enough SAFE room for us to walk up and down the stairs. I nearly fell off the steps once going down. So trashed that idea too.

Our dog now has learned to go up and down the stairs on his own and we're safe.

I've seen some newer 5th wheels that have pretty wide steps and a ramp would probably work fine but not on our rig. We're getting older and we don't need to risking of falling off the steps causing injury.
Old 04-08-2018, 05:49 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkesselus View Post
I am in Bastrop and will build you what ever you want for the price of the material. Just need to clarify exactly what you need so send me a private message or call 512 431 2940 leave a message and I will return the call. Our pets are important senior dogs should get some special treatment. Richard
if you are going to call I guess I should give you my number 512 431 2940 (senior moment)
Old 04-08-2018, 05:51 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

I guess I missed an important part of your post.

If you want a "semi-permanent" structure at you RV site, a carpenter could probably build you a "deck" that aligns with your coach floor height with both steps and a ramp up to the deck level. Then from the deck level you (or dog) would walk straight across a "gang plank" into coach not using coach steps. I suppose gang plank would need to be easy to remove so you can close the coach door.

Also, I'm not sure how much head clearance at coach door you would have going from deck into coach. Would you have to duck under the door header?

Do you have an idea in mind?
Old 04-08-2018, 05:53 AM   #7

We have a 74 lbs bulldog (Buddha)). We use a folding ramp for our Jeep Wrangler to get him in and out. There any types of ramps that you can buy, just finding right one is a challenge. Good luck and happy travels.
Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 05:57 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends on the pet. Some prefer rampd. some don't care.. My cat likes the staird I put in.

I.. (personally) prefer ramps to stairs, lower impact, espically when decending.. So that may be a consideration. (I'm talking about my movements. not the animals) if I have the option of stairs or ramp. I ramp.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
... Would you have to duck under the door header? ...
No. There is plenty of clearance.
I think that I would have the top of the ramp just about an inch lower than the bottom edge of the door. That way, the door will close & Iím sure that my dog will have no problem, entering the MH, with that one inch rise.
Old 04-08-2018, 09:31 AM   #10

Pet Ramp vs Pet Stairs ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryB View Post
... Do you have an idea in mind?

Yes.
I used to draw in 2D & 3D. (But, thatís another story.) I will create my idea in 3D, & post it here.

RKESSELUS, I will be calling you in a week or so. You might be able to build something like it.

It might be of some help to others, as well.

Iím at the very end of selling our house, so it might take me a few days to get it drawn up.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:15 PM   #11

Stairs are a better choice. Get some that you can easily put up and take down. I purchased the light weight ones from petloader.com. I am very pleased with them. They are well made, easy to put up and down and store easily.
Ludmilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:05 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Do these PetLoader stairs rest on the cars bumper/paint?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	198371  
Old 04-09-2018, 04:57 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Yes.
I used to draw in 2D & 3D. (But, thatís another story.) I will create my idea in 3D, & post it here.

RKESSELUS, I will be calling you in a week or so. You might be able to build something like it.

It might be of some help to others, as well.

Iím at the very end of selling our house, so it might take me a few days to get it drawn up.
Just a suggestion but I was thinking along the line of a folding ramp that can be hinged on the latch side of the door and fold up to make a hand rail for people. My coach has a front door with entry steps in front of the passenger seat with a slide out floor piece to cover the steps while driving. That is my starting point but I have been to busy of late to investigate the thought. Richard
Old 04-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #14

Country Coach Owners Club
Solvit Pet Ramp

We own the Solvit Telescoping Pet Ramp

Current pup is 60 lbs. Prior was 50 lbs.

Both dogs learned to use the ramp before hip problems became an issue.

The three exterior steps are hard for dogs to see and there is no carpet for traction on those steps. The three interior steps still have to be dealt with by the dog.

Current dog is healthy and readily uses the ramp to get on the grooming table and into and out of the coach.

But, she wants to be on the leash when using the ramp.

We leave the ramp leaning on the MH exterior steps and just slide it forward for people to use the stairs to enter/exit. Seems to work just fine. The ramp could be laid on the ground between uses if you like.

So far the ramp has not grown legs.

1995 CC Magna #5280
C8.3L 300hp Cummins, 31,000lbs
deandec is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
air