Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-07-2018, 01:55 PM   #1
OCM

Pet restraints

Does anyone use an electronic fence to keep pets from wandering away from the RV? Or, what do you use, leash, ropes, deep moat, threats, lock 'em up?
OCM is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2018, 02:03 PM   #2

Our dog is the best so we just let him run free.

Well, he is a good dog but nope, he stays in camp. A method that works well for us is to tie a long piece of parachute type cord between trees so that he can run up and down it as he sees fit. A cheap little carabiner between the cord and the leash loop works well as it slides along the cord easily and makes for a quick easy disconnect. I place his little bed and water within reach and he's pretty much good to go,,, ooops, I mean stay.
Old 08-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
We use a pet fence. We bought ours from camping world when it was on sale. Bought the extensions as well.
Deucenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 02:49 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess it depends on your dogs size as well, we have a 20 pound Cavalier. We found that we want him protected as well; on more than one occasion a much larger dog has visited our site (got off leash, allowed to rome, etc.) Even a friendly 80+ pound plus dog can hurt a little pup just playing.

We found for small dogs like ours an infant play pen works really well, super easy to set up, easy to store. Here is one like we have been using

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Riley_pen.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	214274  
Old 08-07-2018, 08:10 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
We use a dog runner for ours and usually either hook it up to the picnic table or the ground spike screwed into the ground. We adjust the length of the runner predicated on the size of the campsite.
dmctlc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 11:32 PM   #6

We use electronic training collars to let them explore and just have to keep an eye on them. Considering an invisible fence and just lay the wire out and stake it and let them roam.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:55 AM   #7

Never thought much about it. Hershey (26# Labradoodle) is either on a leash, or ....well he is always on a leash unless he is inside. He just wants to be near us.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:17 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
My 150 pound Rotty used to walk away and go visiting while we were camping, especially if he heard kids or smelled food. So, I hooked his "bucket of shame" to his collar, a metal bucket on the end of a 15 foot clothes line. Once he started to drag the bucket, it made noise and caught my attention. We use a similar device, a Gatorade bottle with a few stones inside, for our 12 pound "Schnauzer From Heck" who puts us on "ignore" when he wants to go somewhere. They are both always on a leash, even if we are not on the other end and they are dragging the leash.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:37 AM   #9

Most every campground I've been in doesn't allow dogs to be unleashed. Some people seem to ignore that and then we have dogs visiting our campsite unwanted.

We currently travel with three dogs...a German Shepherd, a Black Lab, and a Golden Retriever. They are NEVER allowed to roam freely even within the confines of our campsite. Out of respect for fellow campers that may not like or be comfortable around dogs that are untethered, we keep ours on a cable, that will not extend past the limits of our space, attached to something like a picnic table or leveling jack. And then ONLY if we are outside with them.

With big dogs, the picnic table can even be a problem. Had a big German Shepherd male that lunged and pulled a fairly large picnic table about 5 or 6 feet before it stopped him. Another person walking a dog had it on a long leash and it came bolting into our site surprising our GSD. I think the guy's face may still be in a state of shock after seeing nearly 100 lbs of GSD pulling a picnic table erupted. That dog was great with people, but had an issue with other dogs entering the site uninvited.

Frankly, most of the time we leave them in the RV where they just happily lounge or if cool enough as to not waste the AC, we open the main door so they can lay and watch us through the screen door.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:21 AM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd9 View Post
... is either on a leash, or ....well he is always on a leash unless he is inside.
As is the rule at just about every campground we visit, as well as where we live. As the owner of two small dogs (which have been attacked, while on leash with me, by big dogs that have "escaped" while tied up outside at campgrounds), I just don't understand why anyone needs to leave their dogs unattended outside.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:34 AM   #11

We have two of these x pens attached to each other, giving our dogs an 8' x 8' enclosure.

https://www.chewy.com/midwest-exerci...-door/dp/45381

Susan
Old 08-08-2018, 09:57 AM   #12

We often run into unleashed dogs while on hiking trails. Once a pitbull came out of nowhere and attacked us while the owners were yelling and running trying to grab the dog. The owners finally got a leash on the dog and literally dragged him away from us. Know what? They never acknowledged the attack other than yelling we must have scared their dog forcing him to attack us. Last I saw they were running away while I was getting out the first aid kit to attend to the bite marks on my wife and our labradoodle.

Hershey is trained to walk next to us at all times, and if I say "People, Sit" he will park his butt down on the side of the trail to allow other hikers to pass. He will also sit if I say "Car, Sit".

He wears his harness and is tethered in the motorhome to Sharon's seat while we are underway. All training is done with very small treats and never punishment.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:30 AM   #13

Our lab is either on leash or a runner.
And I can promise you, that she can tangle her runner around anything within 20 feet.
Maybe more. LOL
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:53 AM   #14

Location: Dan & Pam Nachel RVM #175 & 175a, three Doberman traveling companions
Quote:
Originally Posted by PandS View Post
We have two of these x pens attached to each other, giving our dogs an 8' x 8' enclosure.

https://www.chewy.com/midwest-exerci...-door/dp/45381

Susan

We have four of those and attach the ends to the mh. Gives the two Dobermans plenty of room. Plus I don’t have to get dressed to let them out early mornings
DobeBus is offline   Reply With Quote