RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2019, 07:16 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
PEX Help

Had a water leak fixed in the pex piping under the kitchen sink by CW.

Picked it up Tuesday, hit the road on a long trip. Woke up after the first night to find water leaking from the same place. It was fine when we set up when I checked.

It's a small leak but adds up fairly quick.

How hard is it to fix/replace a length of pex? I'm in a small east Texas town with a very small hardware store. Leaving Monday for Murfreesboro Ark, so I can hit Home Depot or ? on the way.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-04-2019, 07:30 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
pex is super simple to put on, but.. removing old pex to replace it is more of an issue. You will need a dremel with a cutting wheel or a very good set of cutting pliers to get the old connectors off (most are stainless steel). The pex pipe itself will be a little difficult to get off the barbed fittings.. heat it really good with a hair dryer or heat gun and it will slip off. When re-assembling, you will need special pex pliers -- about $35 at the big box + plus a piece of pex (cheap) and the crimps to go over the pex pipe. It is a pretty simple, and quick fix.. if you have the proper tools.

Old 10-04-2019, 07:35 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
I have never worked with pex piping, but I do understand that there are two types of fittings. There are the ones that require a special tool to crimp, and then there are the one that can be clamped. I sure once you can get two a home depot, they can provide you with a array of knowledge. Maybe that small hardware store might have some of the clamp on type for a temp fix. If CW used the clamping type, you might be able to just tighten it more, but if they used the crimping type, I would think you might have to cut, and put a new piece in. You Tube has some excellent videos on working with Pex, you might take a look. I do know the tool can really be a pain to get into tight spots, so a see a lot of videos where clamp type fitting are used. I sure the crimping is the preferred method and more secure. Good luck.
hawkeye1995 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:46 PM   #4

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Shark bite fittings work on pex. Only tool needed is pex cutter. Real simple.
RobbyII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 08:08 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
+2 - Have used Shark bite to replace a leaking T a couple of years ago while on the road, hardest part was getting the crimped parts apart. They should be available at just about any hardware store - I keep extra Shark bite fittings and pex pipe as standard extra parts for the road -
Old 10-04-2019, 09:30 PM   #6

One more vote for Sharkbite fittings. You can cut a piece out of the existing pipe and install a new section. Most stores will carry 5 or 6' sections of pipe and the fittings come in every variety you could need. Not cheap but a real time saver and from my experience, permanent repair. P.S. if you ever want to disassemble the fittings a $2 tool can take them apart.
sandwip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:01 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I carry a bunch of Sharkbite fittings now after I had a Pex fitting break on my toilet.

https://www.lowes.com/pl/PEX-pipe-fi...ing/4294822026

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 10:42 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Sharkbite is the way to go. You can use a box cutter to cut the pex. Cut out all the old crimped on fittings in the area. Replace with sharkbite. You should be able to purchase an 8 ft long piece of pex at HD instead of having to buy the whole roll. When you see how simple the sharkbites work. You will start changing out all the crimped fitting.
trippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:06 AM   #9

The stainless crimp clamps will hold up to repeated freezing, the copper ferrals will eventually leak after several freezings. Shark bites are fine but very expensive by comparison. It's cheaper in the long run to buy the pliers. I carry spare 3/8 pex fittings for my coach as they are harder to come by when you need one. There are no clamps with pex to my knowledge. There is the wisbro expandable rings, copper rings and stainless crimps.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:26 AM   #10

If the leak is at one of the newly installed pex fittings, it's poor workmanship. You could choose to buy the pex pliers and simply re-squeeze the culprit and making sure the tool completely closes. I've eliminated leaks in the past by doing this. I've found pex fittings to be very reliable. There is a removal tool available but you'll spend a bit of money to get the pliers and the remover, upwards of $20 each. Nothing wrong with shark bites either as I've used them with good success. Either way this is a really easy DIY repair.
As suggested above, you could buy a length of pex and several fittings along with the tools. Then you've got all the repair/replace options without multiple trips back to the hardware store. Take a picture under the sink on your phone for reference while standing in the hardware store. Good luck!
Old 10-05-2019, 07:14 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Just got done building a new house using pretty much exclusively Pex pipe and fitting. Super easy and fool proof if done right.

The crimp type pex fittings work good if installed properly. You can try to recrimp and it might fix your problem. There are several types of tools to use, the standard tool requires quite a bit of room to use, they do make a special on to get into tight places.
In your situation I'd look at fixing with Sharkbite fittings since you don't need special tools and they are readily available at the big box stores. Expensive but will work.
jacwjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 12:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyII View Post
Shark bite fittings work on pex. Only tool needed is pex cutter. Real simple.
+1 (more)
Domo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 05:59 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
THANX to all

that replied!! I was going to stop today to get the fixins' when a truck next to me took off my left mirror.
Old 10-09-2019, 06:15 PM   #14

Use Shark Bite fittings, unless your rebuilding the whole system.

Only then would it be worth buying the tool and crimp fittings.

They have all sorts of valves and fittings that just push on.

Cut the pex pipe with a sharp utility knife.

twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote