Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2017, 05:46 PM   #29

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is 1/2 inch the most common size?
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2017, 05:57 PM   #30

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodchopper View Post
CJ7365
I repair my pex with Flair-It fittings, (most RV stores sell them).
PEX Flair It Plastic Compression Fittings Chart for Mobile Home Manufactured Housing

thanks might have to pick a few of those fittings up

They even have them on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...ir+it+fittings
Old 01-04-2017, 05:58 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
At least on my RV, 1/2" is the norm.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:16 PM   #32

Only pipe tool I carry anymore is a pair or cutters for the tubing, any needed fittings can be picked up at Lowes, Home Depot or other home center/hardware store. I haven't needed to make a Plumbing repair on the road for about 10 years and then it wasn't for me.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 09:39 PM   #33

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pex pipe tools, Do you carry them with you?

Thanks CJ365. Maybe I will pick up a few and keep with me since I have no toad. Hopefully, I will never have to use any.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 10:09 PM   #34

The chances of the Flair-It fitting leaking are very small compared to the crimp style. Invariably the fitting that goes bad is a crimp and there is no way to repair it with a crimp because you can't get the tool on it.
The reason they are used is because they are cheap. Always the least costly option. Upgrade to a better system. There is another system that uses special fittings and an expansion tool but it is the best. Made by Uponor I believe.
I carry both the fittings and blue and red pipe to repair any problem I have.
09 harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 02:29 AM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
Pex pipe tools, Do you carry them with you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
The chances of the Flair-It fitting leaking are very small compared to the crimp style. Invariably the fitting that goes bad is a crimp and there is no way to repair it with a crimp because you can't get the tool on it.
The reason they are used is because they are cheap. Always the least costly option. Upgrade to a better system. There is another system that uses special fittings and an expansion tool but it is the best. Made by Uponor I believe.

Careful, the system that expands made by Uponor is called Wirsbo. Regular pex cannot be expanded only wirsbo pex can bc it has a memory to shrink back down.

Ive been a plumber for 20yrs and have seen many a homeowner screw that one up.

https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.s...000104895.html

This is a great kit and much more forgiving in tight spaces. Bonus is the stainless rings are good on just about anything including garden hoses
jddangelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 07:15 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I had a PEX connection leak and it took about ten seconds to decide to attempt the repair with a Sharkbite connector after I was directed to them by people on this forum. I'll admit I was skeptical at first, but it was a simple process and has never leaked again.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:17 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
I think so, but for some reason my Monaco has 3/8 to some of the faucets.
Old 01-05-2017, 07:37 AM   #38

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
FYI the fitting that leaked on mine was a 3/4" flair-it...the threads stripped off (my entire coach is plumbed with flair-it minus my sharkbite repair). My assumption is that it was over-tightened when originally installed at the factory.
dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 12:45 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 09 harley View Post
Well,
Normally, I'd say you're pretty much right on. But, in the pics below, you'll see an "oops" that, I'm not exactly sure on how it came about. Really long story short, we had setup camp in Williams AZ at the Grand Canyon RR RV Park when I notice some "flooding-leaking" eminating from the wheel-well of the left rear duals, NOT GOOD!! So, after some 007 investigation, I found a leaking fitting BEHIND the plastic panel that houses both the cold and hot water spigots for the washer/dryer in our '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD.
Well, I pulled the four screws for that panel and tipped it forward so I could feel what I could in and around that area. Well, it felt wet around the fitting that entered the back side of the cold spigot.

I removed it, taped it all up with teflon tape and re-installed it. Turned the water on and, it leaked even worse, WHAAAAAAAAATTTTT?????

So, the next time I did what was needed to be done and removed the fitting in question. Upon really close examination, you see what I saw, WOW! A hole in the threads. Now, what are the chances of that happening???

So, off to the local ACE hardware and, vuallllaaaaa, Houston, we've got our problem FIXED!
Scott

Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2017, 09:43 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Fire Up, That looks like it rubbed on something. Does a bracket that holds the panel you mention hit there? You might want to check.
Old 01-09-2017, 10:18 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieChief View Post
Fire Up, That looks like it rubbed on something. Does a bracket that holds the panel you mention hit there? You might want to check.
Hey CoastieChief,
Well Sir, nope, no bracket anywhere near the area. The section that is what I would estimate/call "deteriorated", is actually the part that screws into the backside of the brass, cold water spigot. There is absolutely nothing in the immediate area that would have any chaffing effects at all. Both spigots, hot and cold, are flat backed. That is, if you were to look at the back side of either one, all you'd see is, a machined circle, about 2" in diameter with two small holes near the edge (for securing it to what ever surface it's intended for) and, a 1/2" female pipe thread, leading inside the spigot.
You simply put some teflon tape on the threads of that "damaged" piece and, screw it into the backside of the spigot.

Personally, I think this was a defective casting in the fitting, right from the factory. During assembly at Winnebagos plant, teflon tape was applied and, it's possible that, the deterioration was not as noticeable 'cause it was maybe miniscule at the time and, the assembler held it in such a position that, it (whatever amount that could have been visible) was held down and therefore would not be visible while the teflon tape was being applied.

This is sort of my theory on it. We got really lucky though. First, we were in an RV Park in Williams AZ. It's a fairly small town, known for good eats, tourist spots, good access to the south rim of the Grand Canyon and more. But, I figured this was a specific "RV Only" type plumbing part and, I might have a fairly hard time locating one here. There is no shut off to either of those spigots. So, that meant we could not turn on the water pump or, turn on city water pressure. We spent only one night like that.

We ventured to the towns only hardware store, when it opened the next morning. As it happened, they had plenty of "Flair-it" components and fittings. YEAH!!!! So, I bought TWO, just in case I'd need another one at a later date, and camping in the wild. About $3.20 each. Problem fixed.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote