Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #1

I found a new 2008 Diplomat at a really good price. I have been looking hard at a Phaeton 2009, but the Dip looks really appealing, but a little more money.
Any reason why you would prefer one over the other?

Any comments appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2008, 02:46 PM   #2

I found a new 2008 Diplomat at a really good price. I have been looking hard at a Phaeton 2009, but the Dip looks really appealing, but a little more money.
Any reason why you would prefer one over the other?

Any comments appreciated.

Old 06-06-2008, 02:53 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Of the two, I believe Tiffin builds a better motorhome.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 02:58 PM   #4

Give an example of what you mean by better. I have read a lot about Tiffin and how the company stands behind their unit, but cannot find much about Monaco.
Old 06-06-2008, 03:04 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
Better quality materials, better assembly, less trouble after the purchase, more bang for the buck.

Not that I'm an expert, but my opinion is from looking at both, reading the forums, and talking to owners over the years, but there is much personal preference involved here, and others have come to just the opposite conclusion.

p.s. Spartan Chassis on the Tiffin 42 QRH.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:16 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
From what I've heard and as a new Monaco product owner myself, they stand behind their units also. Of course you'll find some that disagree. Sorry I can't give you differences between the 2 specific models but if you haven't done so already check out the Monaco & Tiffin Owner's sites.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 03:51 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I am very happy with my Monaco. When I was shopping, I was down to an '07 Diplomat and an '07 Phaeton. I drove them both, and ended up preferring the ride of the Diplomat much better than the Phaeton. The '07 Phaeton I drove had a Freightliner chassis.

As far as build quality, I didn't see anything in the Phaeton that stood out as much different than the Diplomat. At that time, the Phaeton was a hot seller, and the dealers I talked to were much less willing to bend on price than the Monaco dealers.

While I have heard great things about post-sale service from Tiffin owners, I have not had a single problem dealing with Monaco. They have been great when I have needed them. I found also that since we travel a lot, having factory service in three areas of the country is beneficial for us. Monaco has service in Florida, Indiana, and Oregon. Tiffin has their factory service in Alabama. I suppose if you are close to Alabama, that won't be an issue. We have used the service centers on both coasts and have been taken care of in both places just fine.

So why didn't I buy either coach? Came down to floorplan for us, and we really liked the Monaco products, so the Knight was a great find for us. I have never regretted the purchase, even after walking through a lot of new coaches since we bought.

JMO -

kevin

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:27 PM   #8

I didn't mention that we were in Red Bay twice now. Tallked to dozens of Tiffin owners who really liked there Tiffin product. What I liked is that you can get customised work done in Red Bay. Don't know if Monaco will do that. The second time Bob T. told us to take it anywhere for service, and Tiffin would pick up the tab. I assume that is within warranty. Red Bay is 8 hrs away and Freightliner is 2 hrs away. I drove the FL and Monaco, since they are both solid front axle I didn't see a big difference. Maybe I needed rougher roads. Why are the test drives always on smooth roads. A local dealer has offerd to do service on the Tiffin, even though not a Tiffin dealer. Still, the diplomat is very appealing, not sure about continued service.
Old 06-06-2008, 05:12 PM   #9

We are proud owners of a 2005 3910 Newmar. 25,000 care free miles and decided to purcahse our "last motorhome".

We had ordered a 2009 Dutch Aire, visited the factory and on the way back south went to Red Bay for a tour and we changed our order to a 43 Bus.

Went to the factory and watched the entire build process.

The unit will be ready 6/20 and hope to be on to our next adventure.

Park a Newmar next to a Tiffin and spend a day comparing the two. Just my opinion.......

Tom
Old 06-06-2008, 05:20 PM   #10

the dip will have a better ride, better control and stronger frame. 8 air bags make a big difference.
Old 06-06-2008, 09:16 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brigadoon:
...When I picked up our coach, the service manager told me, that it was a good thing I had a Newmar rather than a Monoco. He stated that Monoco would not have stepped up to the plate like Newmar if I had brought the coach in the last day of their 1 year warranty. The rv dealer that worked on our coach is also a Monoco dealer.
... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I always trust what dealers say to me too

I took my coach to the Monaco service center a month and a half after my one year warranty was expired and they fixed all the little things that I had on my list. I suppose I was lucky that I didn't have a bunch of major problems. Guess they built this heap right the first time

--kevin

2006 Monaco Knight 40PLQ | 2011 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
digNbubbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 09:39 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I like the fact that Monaco does have more than one "Service Center" across the USA. I also have not had a problem with Monaco taking care of a few items after warranty.
One other thing I find interesting..is that the posters here that are not Monaco owners - all own Newmars. What is said in so many words - <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>One recommends you move up to the 42' Spartan chassis - <LI>another is quoting the "Newmar service manager" about Monaco<LI>the last moved up to a 43' Allegro[/list]I don't see a fair comparison of what you were asking for. One thing DignBubbs mentioned...what about the floorplan? (But then I love my floorplan) Just my thoughts...

MM
MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:24 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Both excellent coaches - I'd go with Tiffin if I was within range of their Red Bay, AL factory because of the service there, as others have stated. But if I was closer to a Monaco service center (Indiana or Oregon), that could sway me the other way.

Or I'd chose the one I liked the best and not lose sleep over the trivial differences.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 06:19 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brigadoon:
the service manager told me, that it was a good thing I had a Newmar rather than a Monoco. He stated that Monoco would not have stepped up to the plate like Newmar if I had brought the coach in the last day of their 1 year warranty.

Another important point for me anyway, Tiffen is located in a warm state, which means you can take it there for service in the winter and not have to endure the sometimes severe winter conditions that occure in Indiana. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I'm not so sure that your dealer isn't on crack or something...To say that Monaco wouldn't step up to the plate was very misleading to say the least. I have seen Monaco do a lot more than just step up to the plate, I've seen them fix things on coaches that were 2-3 years out of warranty. I've own two Monaco coaches and I'll have to say that they have been very fair with me in my dealings. So as far as I'm concern I would buy the Monaco coach....As far as the weather in Indiana, you can always go to Wildwood in Fla. and have all of the warm weather that your heart desires.

cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote