Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #1

Phaeton vs. Tuscanny

I am debating puchasing the 36' Tuscanny but keep going back to the 36' Phaeton. Does anyone have any comments on the quality of one over the other. I know Tiffin stands behind their products but no nothing about Thor. Any comments would be appreciated on these units and Thor as a manufacturer.

Huntesy

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to IRV2. I'm sure you'll get some opinions. Good luck.
Cliff

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:35 PM   #3

I can't speak about Thor but I will about Tiffin. We purchased our Allegro 36la early December. We have been on the road now for three months and have not had a single problem. The dealer did replace the rear toilet when we picked it up but that was due to a defective Dometic toilet and the dealer caught it. I couldn't be happier with Tiffin.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 04:40 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I really liked the look and feel of the Tiffin better than the Thor, but other than look and feel, no other opinions. I do not own either. We settled on a used high end coach instead. I have heard good things about Tiffin, with a couple of problems mixed in, but then all have occasional problems.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a 2008 Phaeton 36 ft QSH that we bought used last year and are very happy with our Tiffen. We looked at 36ft motorhomes from all the major brands and settled on the Phaeton because it had all the bells and whistles and was lower priced. I also like the fact that I can call the factory service dept. and they answer and walk you through any problem you might have. You will be happy with a Tiffen.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I just toured the Tiffin plant when I accompanied a friend getting service on his Pheaton. I am an owner of a Thor/Damon product and I would recomment the Tiffin. They stand behind their product and it seems to be a little better quality. Just my opinion.

Bob
Capt USMC (Ret)
2003 Damon Challenger
Old 02-26-2013, 12:14 PM   #7

We have never owned a Tiffin, but did have a Thor product. I would rate Tiffin way above any Thor product. Like a poster above I always recomend buying a high end coach used as the best all around choice.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 12:21 PM   #8

I understand the general thought that Tiffin is superior, however, this is, in my opinion, based on the reputation of Tiffin in correcting problems. Unfortunately, there have been a lot of problems to correct. I had an Allegro Bus and I had fogging windows, roof cap replacement, and wet bay correction. Others have had to replace the floors in the driver's slide and some have had windshields that kept cracking. Don't get me wrong, I loved my bus but wanted to downsize. I assume, and I welcome opinions, that Tuscany is the top of the line of this product. In briefly looking, that was my thought and do not want an entry level coach. Thor is good in that the warranty work can be made at any C/W--unlike Tiffin. There are not that many dealers that are close to most folks. The trip to Red Bay, AL is not that enjoyable. So this is a plus for Thor, unless there will be multiple repairs and corrections.

Is the Tuscany 36 a quality product?
Will Thor Ind. be in business later on (Tiffin has a long history in this regard)?

I have cosidered the Winnebago Journey but it just doesn't feel right although I like the long passenger slide.

Thanks for any further comments.

Huntesy
Old 02-26-2013, 01:09 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntesy
Will Thor Ind. be in business later on (Tiffin has a long history in this regard)?
Hey...you can do a simple Google Search on Thor and confirm that they are the largest RV Manufacturer in North America..they are a public accompany so you can also research their stock and it's trading history.
Cheers,
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:22 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You might want to post the question on the Thor Owners area.

I have a Thor Palazzo, not a Tuscany, so cannot give a direct answer. I agree that being able to get service at any Thor dealer is a huge plus.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 07:23 PM   #11
doc

Appalachian Campers
We Damon Essence. This was their top of the line with the big Cummins and all the fancy trim etc. Have not had a lot of trouble/problems. However, their customer service has been non-existent. They are grouchy when you call even asking for information. So in three words > Go With Tiffin < Looking back, I wish I had.
Old 02-26-2013, 11:15 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc View Post
We Damon Essence. This was their top of the line with the big Cummins and all the fancy trim etc. Have not had a lot of trouble/problems. However, their customer service has been non-existent. They are grouchy when you call even asking for information. So in three words > Go With Tiffin < Looking back, I wish I had.
2nd the customer relations part
since thor took over the DAMON customer relation has wandered off.
BUT i still get pretty good service from my old contacts still working there when it was Damon.
i have amassed a ton of diagrams and prints from Damon so it helps me if a problem does arise
f/l help is pretty good

my DAMON coach has been imo great
my good friend across the street has a tiffin pheaton
its a 2006 and has had tons of dumb issues
but tiffin did fix it for them at the red bay plant
some for free

overall i compare his and mine and they both had oddities but both are good units.
they both have the same brand of appliances so failure could be a toss up
we both have new norcold refers under warranty
he has a cat and i have a cummins
his cat does not like to start right up after a long sit, bit all cats are like that

his electrical bays are not as tidy as mine
his driver seat has a weird feeling when driving "I cant see as good as my damon"

his luggage doors are imo a stronger set up
but mine open wider and i have more basement storage that does not conflict with installed components like his

both f/l chassis, both 40 feet
both drive pretty much the same except the view part
I have driven his ALOT I am a good neighbor
I would suggest look at both as if your living in them and then make a good personal choice based on what your looking for
hope it helps
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am very surprised at the comments about Thor customer service as my experience as been totally opposite. Although I have had my Palazzo only since October that could account for a difference but all my calls have been pleasant and provided good information. I was especially pleased on one call when I was asking how something worked and Lori took her portable phone out of the office out to look at a Palazzo, see what I was talking about, and find a technician who knew more details. Fortunately I have not had any serious problems so my calls have been about getting information.
Butte64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 01:56 PM   #14

A lot of good comments. I am totally unfamilar with Thor Ind. and the Tuscany unit since I have only owned the Tiffin Allegro Bus before. You mentioned the Damon but what about the quality of the Tuscany? I would like to get something comparable to the Phaeton if I am going to step out of the box. The MSRP is about the same for each (the 36's) if that is anykind of indicator. I can get the Tuscany for less as they are being discounted more as the Tiffin dealers are being rather stingy.

Your thoughts. Thanks