RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 10-20-2019, 09:33 PM   #1
Member
 
2aktravelers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 41
Phoenix RV resorts for those under 55

Hi there iRV2 community, I’ve been trying to find a nice RV resort for a big rig, with great amenities in or near Phoenix AZ that is not age restricted. It seems like every nice place we find online is 55+. Very frustrating for an under 50 couple with no kids or pets. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
__________________

2aktravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2019, 07:31 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
USMCRET's Avatar
 
Newmar Owners Club
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2aktravelers View Post
Hi there iRV2 community, I’ve been trying to find a nice RV resort for a big rig, with great amenities in or near Phoenix AZ that is not age restricted. It seems like every nice place we find online is 55+. Very frustrating for an under 50 couple with no kids or pets. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Contact those you are interested in and ask. I think that rule is designed to keep kids out.
__________________

__________________
2005 Newmar KSDP 3910
ISC on a Spartan
USMCRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 08:07 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Foothills, Yuma, Az
Posts: 1,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by USMCRET View Post
Contact those you are interested in and ask. I think that rule is designed to keep kids out.
It is against the law to ask your age.
__________________
Dale&Susan, 08 Alfa Gold, DaGirlsRv Blog
2015 F-150XLT_1600W Solar_880 AmpHr
Magnum_MSH 3812 & PT100
gatorcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:39 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorcq View Post
It is against the law to ask your age.
HUD’s allowance for minimum age requirements
At a high level, guidance on senior living communities’ age requirements comes from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). While HUD’s Fair Housing Act (FHA) prohibits housing discrimination based on age, race, nationality, religion, gender, handicap, or familial status (i.e., having one or more children under age 18 living in the household), HUD created an exemption called the Housing for Older Persons Act (HOPA). HOPA protects senior housing communities from being sued for age discrimination by those under the minimum age requirement. (As a side note, it is somewhat ironic that age discrimination, or “ageism”, is typically thought of as prejudice against older people, but in this particular instance, the opposite is true!)

>> Related: The Invisible Senior: Confronting Ageism in the U.S.

In order to qualify for this HOPA exemption, a senior housing facility or community must be:

Designed and operated to accommodate “elderly” persons (in accordance with a State or Federal program),
or
Exclusively occupied by persons 62 years of age or older,
or
Intended and operated for occupancy by persons 55 years of age or older (so-called “55 and over” communities).
For 55 and over communities, they must meet all of the following requirements in order to qualify for the HOPA exemption:

A minimum of 80 percent of the community’s units must have at least one occupant who is 55 years of age or older.
The community must publish and comply with policies and procedures that demonstrate they intend to operate as “55 and older” housing.
The community must comply with HUD’s requirements for age verification of residents.
Once a community meets the HOPA exemption requirements, it is legally permitted to create its own set of rules for how the age restrictions will be defined, as long as the community remains in compliance with state laws. For example, the community can make their age-restrictions stricter than the HOPA requirements (like mandating that all residents be over the age of 55, or that 80 percent of the households must include a resident over the age of 60, etc.).
__________________
'09 Camelot 42KFQ
PlanBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 12:05 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: fulltime
Posts: 361
try leaf verde in buckeye 623 386 3132
__________________
2006 winnebago adventurer 38t 2018 carry-on hawkline enclosed 8.5x20 2007 mini cooper convertible
robertkathy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 04:46 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Outbound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,416
Might try Eagle View RV Resort, Fort McDowell AZ, phone 408-789-5310.
www.eagleviewrvresort.com, great setting.
__________________
Outbound
2002 Monaco Executive 500 ISM
2004 GMC 2500HD 4X4
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:17 PM   #7
Senior Member
 
2Yung2 Quit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Bonsall, CA
Posts: 591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Might try Eagle View RV Resort, Fort McDowell AZ, phone 408-789-5310.

www.eagleviewrvresort.com, great setting.
That's a nice resort. Free donuts in the morning.
__________________
Ram MegaCab 3500 Cummins, DRW, 4x4, pulling a 2018 35' Solitude, and loving it! Oh, and I did quit (retire) since I joined the forum.
2Yung2 Quit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:59 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 179
If you’re adventurous and not shy Shangri La Ranch Clothing Optional Resort in Arizona is a lot of fun.
__________________
2019 Fleetwood Bounder 35K
2018 Fiat 500 Sport Turbo
Triple H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 07:54 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
GoneToTheDog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Mesa/Payson, Arizona
Posts: 614
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Might try Eagle View RV Resort, Fort McDowell AZ, phone 408-789-5310.
www.eagleviewrvresort.com, great setting.

That would be a 480 area code, not 408.

Nice place, and one I would recommend, as a local. But you may already find it totally booked from Nov thru March/April....this late. It fills up fast. Definitely call ahead.
__________________
2017 Winnebago Spirit 25b E450 chassis
Nothing fancy about it.
Exactly what we wanted.
GoneToTheDog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:28 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Outbound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NorCal
Posts: 1,416
My mistake, 480 area code is correct, yes on free morning coffee and donuts, and we always make our reservations a year in advance, great place.
__________________
Outbound
2002 Monaco Executive 500 ISM
2004 GMC 2500HD 4X4
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:32 PM   #11
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 76
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanBee View Post
HUD’s allowance for minimum age requirements

At a high level, guidance on senior living communities’ age requirements comes from the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). While HUD’s Fair Housing Act (FHA) prohibits housing discrimination based on age, race, nationality, religion, gender, handicap, or familial status (i.e., having one or more children under age 18 living in the household), HUD created an exemption called the Housing for Older Persons Act (HOPA). HOPA protects senior housing communities from being sued for age discrimination by those under the minimum age requirement. (As a side note, it is somewhat ironic that age discrimination, or “ageism”, is typically thought of as prejudice against older people, but in this particular instance, the opposite is true!)



>> Related: The Invisible Senior: Confronting Ageism in the U.S.



In order to qualify for this HOPA exemption, a senior housing facility or community must be:



Designed and operated to accommodate “elderly” persons (in accordance with a State or Federal program),

or

Exclusively occupied by persons 62 years of age or older,

or

Intended and operated for occupancy by persons 55 years of age or older (so-called “55 and over” communities).

For 55 and over communities, they must meet all of the following requirements in order to qualify for the HOPA exemption:



A minimum of 80 percent of the community’s units must have at least one occupant who is 55 years of age or older.

The community must publish and comply with policies and procedures that demonstrate they intend to operate as “55 and older” housing.

The community must comply with HUD’s requirements for age verification of residents.

Once a community meets the HOPA exemption requirements, it is legally permitted to create its own set of rules for how the age restrictions will be defined, as long as the community remains in compliance with state laws. For example, the community can make their age-restrictions stricter than the HOPA requirements (like mandating that all residents be over the age of 55, or that 80 percent of the households must include a resident over the age of 60, etc.).


I find this interesting. No mention of how many family members or their ages as long as one member of the family meets the age criteria. In my case, I’m 61 and so is my DW. However, we also have two children ages 7 and 9. I wonder if I would be refused a site because 2 of my family members are below 55. Hmmm....thoughts?
Prontix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:15 PM   #12
Member
 
2aktravelers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertkathy View Post
try leaf verde in buckeye 623 386 3132


Thank you, stayed there before, nice place but we were looking for Donne place with a little more by way of amenities and less wind. :-)
2aktravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:16 PM   #13
Member
 
2aktravelers's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Posts: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outbound View Post
Might try Eagle View RV Resort, Fort McDowell AZ, phone 408-789-5310.

www.eagleviewrvresort.com, great setting.


Thank you, I’ll check them out!
2aktravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 11:20 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
CamJam1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 298
Phoenix is not a great place for RV parks. Most cater to seniors and snowbirds, and many are a little rundown. The aforementioned Eagle View is one of the few options.

If you don't mind not having sewer connections (it does have 50A and water) we like West World, which is a big exhibition/event center owned by the City of Scottsdale. It's where they hold the Barrett-Jackson car auction and numerous horse shows throughout the year. Rate is around $27 per night. We stayed there for a month earlier this year while DW had surgery at nearby Mayo Clinic. They do have a dump station. I bought a portable waste tank and got in the habit of towing it behind the toad to the dump station every other day. Wasn't really as inconvenient as it sounds, and I much preferred it to being in a crowded, run down park in a crappy part of town.

The great thing about West World is that it has 200+ RV spots (most of which are in a paved parking lot) but between events there are usually less than a dozen RVs there. We practically had the place to ourselves! If you ask for a spot overlooking the polo field you'll have a site right next to this huge grass field,which our English Pointer loved! We had a great view of the McDowell Mountains too!

Here's a short video showing some of the sites.

__________________

__________________
2004 National Dolphin LX 6320, W-22, 8.1, Allison 1000, 2005 PT Cruiser
CamJam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Phoenix Cruiser :: 2014 Phoenix Cruiser 2351 MC marshe52 iRV2 Owners Registry 0 09-26-2019 08:41 AM
RV Resorts in Phoenix....Which one? darrellbytes Camping Locations, Plans & Trip Reports 10 01-09-2018 09:16 PM
Leaky Phoenix faucet - Phoenix "Steps up" Zimectrin RV Systems & Appliances 2 02-03-2007 06:40 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:41 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×