Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2015, 09:18 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
picking up a dp need advice

hi will be picking up a 99 coachman catalina dp in a few weeks
isb 5.9
? how long to warm up before driving
? how long to let it cool to shut off
? best to add a adative to fuel and what kind / been sitting
? changing fuel filter with out loosing prime explain
also slide out jacks down before moving slide ? or move slide
then jacks
thanks john

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2015, 11:01 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
hi will be picking up a 99 coachman catalina dp in a few weeks
isb 5.9
? how long to warm up before driving
? how long to let it cool to shut off
? best to add a adative to fuel and what kind / been sitting
? changing fuel filter with out loosing prime explain
also slide out jacks down before moving slide ? or move slide
then jacks
thanks john
You'll probably get a lot of different answers to these questions. I'll just throw my $.02 into the ring.

Your RV should have a high idle feature, probably using the cruise control. Diesel engines tend to not be able to burn all the fuel that goes into the cylinders when at idle... especially cold... excessive idling can cause fuel to wash the oil off the cylinder walls and wear the engine prematurely. I think Cummins recommends keeping idle times to 5 minutes or less... but don't quote me on that. I have never personally seen a diesel engine worn out from excessive idling... but I'm not in the business either...

When I start ours, I set the idle at about 1000 or 1200 rpm and let it warm up for just a few minutes (perhaps 3 to 5?) before heading out on the road. I don't like to put a full load on the engine until it's up to operating temperature though. You will find that the engine will probably not come up to full operating temperature even at high idle... for a very very long time.

When I shut down, I go by EGT. I generally wait whatever length of time it takes for the EGT to drop below 350°. This is mostly so that the turbo does not heat soak after shut down and cook the oil in the bearings. After a long hard pull up a mountain, this might take 5 minutes or so... but generally 3-5 minutes is always plenty. I also use the high idle for cool down... pumping more air through the engine under no load dissipates heat faster, as well as runs the fan and coolant pump faster (at least on ours where the radiator fan runs all the time).

As far as fuel additives... I generally don't use them. I have, in the past, used Power Service. Stanadyne generally comes highly recommended. Again, there will be lots of opinions on this. Lubricity of the fuel is really a non issue these days... unlike the early days of ULSD. Some folks like a little insurance though... and I admit that I have been one of those from time to time.

Fuel filters - never hurts to change them especially if the RV has been sitting for a while. I'm not sure how the ISB's get primed, but I think you just fill the new filters with fuel and cycle the key a few times to run the lift pump? I'll let someone else chime in here...

Not sure about slides either... Don't have them.

Good luck.

-cheers

Old 09-13-2015, 02:02 AM   #3

I put the levelers down then put the slides out which is what my book says. I do this while at a high idle to cool the ending down. I can get that done in about 3-4 minutes generally. If it's really uneven it may through that time out the window.

Bill & Christine
40 ft Revolution LE Diesel Pusher & Honda Fit Sport
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 09-13-2015, 03:49 AM   #4

Make sure the engine block is not stamped with infamous "53". To put the engine in fast idle switch the cruise control to on then bump the set button twice in rapid succession. You hear the engine rev up to about a thousand rpm.
Old 09-13-2015, 06:28 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I start the engine put the slides in, put the jacks up and drive off. Stopping, I put the jacks down, slides out, shut down right away. In that order. Cummins book says NO idling over 10 min. And No additives. Just like my previous gassers.
Old 09-13-2015, 07:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta48 View Post
I start the engine put the slides in, put the jacks up and drive off. Stopping, I put the jacks down, slides out, shut down right away. In that order. Cummins book says NO idling over 10 min. And No additives. Just like my previous gassers.
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 07:32 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
thanks for the info new to dp and slides
Old 09-13-2015, 07:36 AM   #8

You have to wait for the air pressure to build so the brakes release and when I have finished the other chores we are ready..

Tags
advice