Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #1

Pics of Progressive windshield crap

After 3 weeks of dealing with Progressive they're done. They told me this isn't a safety issue and there's a clause in my contract that states there may be slight difference in tint shades. The tint looks like it was hand brushed in upon closer inspection, there are stroke marks.
I told them to come get the windshield and I'll source a closer replacement. Sorry to put Duncan in the middle but this is a joke. I'll be changing my boat, motorcycle and other toys in the coming weeks. Passenger side is the replacement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	windshield.jpg
Views:	509
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	93394  
kiethco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2015, 04:54 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I have a green tint and a blue tint on my 98 windsor, the green was oem. You may find it impossible to find a tint that matches better considering the age of the rv.
scep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:02 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
What a coincidence that the left windshield got shattered and had to be replaced too. Just sayin . . . . .
2024 RAM Limited FMCA #420209
brianw8602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:09 PM   #4

Tints can fade when exposed to bright sunlight for years.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:41 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Maybe take it to a window tinting place...they may be able to add a tinted strip to more closely match the tint.??

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 05:48 PM   #6

I was told by someone that they do usually get broke at the same time as the rocks fly up from the road. It's too bad it has to be like this but what I'm left with can be a hazard as well as devalue the coach.
I'm taking it to be tinted, I couldn't discuss this option with Progressive as it's illegal to tint the windshield in California.
Old 05-04-2015, 06:04 PM   #7

The driver's side is obviously faded from 17 years of exposure to the sun. I'd be willing to bet the tinting is done when the glass is manufactured. I can't see how it could be a safety issue . If it bothers you that much trying to get a tinted strip added to the drivers side to match is probably a great idea.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I would bet that you could not find a replacement to match your 17 y.o driver side widow.

Not sure how this would be a safety issue.

Just take it somewhere and get the top of the wind shields tinted to match.

What was the cost to progressive to replace the WS?
CJ7365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 07:32 PM   #9

It broke down to 1400.00 or so. The safety issue is following a line of sight across the window, it's very distracting. It would be the same as tinting just one half and having to look through tint, then not. I had this issue on my Pace Arrow, it was different but not to this degree. I expected some variance, but this looks like it came from an entirely different coach. I planned on tinting it all along but had to wait for the dust to settle. The place that makes these, in Arizona did a very poor job. The only thing that was correct was the fit.
Old 05-04-2015, 07:37 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by datrbone8 View Post
The driver's side is obviously faded from 17 years of exposure to the sun. I'd be willing to bet the tinting is done when the glass is manufactured. I can't see how it could be a safety issue . If it bothers you that much trying to get a tinted strip added to the drivers side to match is probably a great idea.
I have to agree!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 05:43 PM   #11

Thinking it's gonna fade over 10 or 15 years is way off base. Look at the deep gray of the original. It hasn't faded a bit. The footprint of the tint is not even close. The tint of the new appears to have been brushed on, but I can live with that.
I do alot of insurance restoration in my company dealings. There's a clause called "line of sight". If you look from one room to the next and can see the repair, it all has to be replaced. You can't replace the carpet or tile or repaint just the wall in the damaged room.
The responsibility is ultimately mine as I didn't read the fine print. I posted this for information only. I've already solved the problem with tinting.
Old 05-05-2015, 07:16 PM   #12
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'd have to agree with tinting both of them or darkening the drivers side to match, that's certainly not what I would call a slight difference.

I'd find it highly aggravating to look at.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:28 PM   #13
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Unless you had the exact same glass manufacturer the tint won't be the same. If both aren't installed by the same Manufacturer at the same time they won't be the same. Procedures in the manufacturing process, colors, dyes change slightly all the time.

It's like anything, the only way you get near perfection is to buy two of something off the line in succession.

An example of this ranging color is with carpet. The first yardage on a roll will be different from the last yardage on the same roll.

With glass, you get a blue tint or a green tint. Different manufacturers have different tints of blue and green.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 07:44 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiethco View Post
After 3 weeks of dealing with Progressive they're done. They told me this isn't a safety issue and there's a clause in my contract that states there may be slight difference in tint shades. The tint looks like it was hand brushed in upon closer inspection, there are stroke marks.
I told them to come get the windshield and I'll source a closer replacement. Sorry to put Duncan in the middle but this is a joke. I'll be changing my boat, motorcycle and other toys in the coming weeks. Passenger side is the replacement.
What did Duncan say? Their the one's that supplied the glass.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote