Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I believe you are incorrect. As a non commercial vehicle I am NOT required to pay that tax. If I go to the car diesel pumps or the RV diesel pumps I don't pay it which also indicates that you are wrong. The problem is the software that some truck stops use does not allow them to bypass the DOT# requirement when fueling. Some truck stops will just plug in a number they use for you. If not then you just make up a number.

Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2013, 11:34 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
You're required to pay the road tax one way or the other. Either as a quarterly charge per the DOT number, or per gallon at the pump. In IN, the truck lane pumps are programmed for the quarterly billing. Auto and RV lanes are per-gallon.

Old 08-16-2013, 11:40 AM   #17

+1 with FlyingDiver, government agencies are not very flexible if they think you are trying to defraud them regardless of your intentions. Saving $10. may cost you WAY more in resolving the situation later.
spinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 11:46 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
I believe you are incorrect. As a non commercial vehicle I am NOT required to pay that tax. If I go to the car diesel pumps or the RV diesel pumps I don't pay it which also indicates that you are wrong. ...
UM...not my experience. Car diesel lane in IN included tax. It is my understanding that it is a book keeping issue for IN.
Old 08-16-2013, 11:49 AM   #19

FYI In Oregon when you see the truck stop diesel advertisement at say $3.99 a gallon you can expect to pay about $4.25 for your RV or auto diesel.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 12:42 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Canter View Post
I know you guys will get me for this but believe it or not in those states that have those type of taxes on fuel I make up a DOT number if they ask for one. Nobody ever checks or cares. Read a number off a truck you see and change a few digits. Since an RV doesn't pay this tax I view it as not being illegal and just a way to get around their own system.
You are not alone. I think that they use the DOT for tracking purposes only.
Old 08-16-2013, 01:01 PM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbones View Post
You are not alone. I think that they use the DOT for tracking purposes only.
I believe that they use it for tracking how much tax is owed and buy whom. If I am correct, and you make up a number that actually exist, you are causing someone else to pay your tax.

I could be wrong but...

If I am not wrong...
Old 08-16-2013, 02:59 PM   #22

Anybody know the Presidents DOT number?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Boss View Post
I believe that they use it for tracking how much tax is owed and buy whom. If I am correct, and you make up a number that actually exist, you are causing someone else to pay your tax.

I could be wrong but...

If I am not wrong...
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Similar experience no. What happened, yes.

The state has different tax rates depending on if you are a COMMERCIAL or Personal user of fuel.
Old 08-16-2013, 09:18 PM   #24

Freightliner Owners Club
Indiana commercial fuel tax.
Businesses that operate commercial motor vehicles in the State of Indiana must pay a tax based upon usage. Commercial Vehicles must be registered with the Indiana Department of Revenue, and file quarterly tax returns.
Non-commercial vehicles pay a 7% fuel tax at the time of sale.

It now being strictly enforced- http://www.apexcapitalcorp.com/servi...iana-sales-tax
"A 15-year-old Indiana State sales tax law is now being enforced. In the past, the State of Indiana required TA and Petro to post signs at the diesel pump stating, “Trucks Only” in order to exempt diesel transactions from the 7% sales tax. The State of Indiana has recently fined an Indiana TA truck stop for not requiring exemption certificates from all its exempt customers. The fine is in excess of $200,000 per location."

When I fueled my RV at the truck pumps in Indiana, the cashier added the 7% tax. Diesel at that time was over $4/gallon, tax was 30+ cents/gallon.

May be serious repercussions to using a homemade DOT number...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:34 PM   #25

Now if you really want to save money and cheat the tax man, buy a home fuel tank, buy off-road diesel fuel, which is $0.40/G less than retail. NOT ME! Failing to pay taxes is the only thing that brought Al Capone down.
Inventing a fake DOT# and using your CC is a bad idea, this ties your CC to the fake DOT#; and you think you got away with it? What happens when the IRS catches you 13 years later, penalty, interest,fine, non-paid taxes = $$$$$; all for about $42 and 150G diesel. If you used cash you only have to deal with your guilt and man above.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 09:19 AM   #26

Thanks for the information. This was our first attempt to fuel up with diesel in the state of Indiana. We've fueled with diesel in probably 40 other states and never experienced this situation. No problem in the future because we will fuel before entering Indiana and drive right on to next state.
Old 08-17-2013, 10:24 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I always use truck lanes, primarily because they have way more room available (I'm as tall and damn near as long as them), and the pumps run faster. I see the clerk anyway, because I go in to pay cash. The clerk adds the tax, if applicable.

The real problem with these guys who think they're being clever by cheating some state out of a few bucks is that eventually it is their actions that will bring down stiffer enforcement, and force all of us to screw around with the slow, tightly spaced car pumps.
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #28

I don't know this for a fact but in today's security conscience environment I wouldn't be surprised to know that there is video of your transaction. I just ain't worth the trouble.
Steve

spinn is offline   Reply With Quote