Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #1

Pilot experience

ON Wednesday, August 14, I stopped at the Pilot at exit 4 0n I 74 in Covington, In to fill up with diesel. Had a very interesting experience and left without filling up.

I pulled to the truck rack, as I have done on manys occasions in the past, and proceeded the process for fueling up: inserted my credit card, inserted my RV card, entered my zip code, then was asked for my DOT #. Since I do not have a DOT #, I tried to bypass the process with out any luck. I then went inside to the counter and talked to the clerks--2 different ones. The posted cash price was $3.739 and credit price was $ 3.799.

I went inside and talked to the clerks--2 different clerks. They told me that since I did not have a DOT # I could fill up but they would have to charge me $ 4.169/gallon!!!! I told them I would just move around to the auto rack and they said "same thing applies". So I took my business elsewhere. I in an RV and non commercial need a aDOT card??

Has anyone had a similar experience or can you tell me what happened??

Thank you,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-16-2013, 06:41 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've been to four Flying Js from UT to PA in the past couple of weeks, always used the truck lanes, got .03 off the cash price with my FJ card, and never had any request for a DOT#. Could it be a state thing in KY?
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:44 AM   #3

Had the same experience in Indiana at a different truck stop. I have never ran into this before. They told me I had to move around to the front and use the RV pump. I believe it has to to with the fuel tax for truckers. Now I just fill up before entering that state. Fortunately, I don't travel through there very often.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:50 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Never had that problem at Pilot, FJ or Loves in the truck lanes. One time I had to tell the clerk it was not a commercial vehicle then there was no problem. I think you should have asked for the manager. Maybe that would have prevented you from having to go somewhere else and fix the problem for the next RVer.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:51 AM   #5

I know you guys will get me for this but believe it or not in those states that have those type of taxes on fuel I make up a DOT number if they ask for one. Nobody ever checks or cares. Read a number off a truck you see and change a few digits. Since an RV doesn't pay this tax I view it as not being illegal and just a way to get around their own system.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 06:51 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hmmm, we just came in from a trip, fueled 3 times, Ohio, Indiana and Missouri (Higginsville Pilot). At each stop I told the cashier we were a private coach and had no issues fueling.
Old 08-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Welcome to INDIANA (I think either OR or WA and a couple other state are similar) in that without a DOT# you have to pay the same as autos even at the truck pumps. The only time I filled in IN was when I picked up my MH from the dealer. I had to go in and pre-pay at the auto rate. I had the pilot card and got the 3 cent discount but other than that, no different that when I use ANY pump, auto or truck.

I don't have the Pilot debit card so I have to go in to any Pilot anyway because my other credit cart won't activate truck pumps. When I go to the auto pumps I prepay so that I don't have the auto shut off.

I am starting to think seriously about the advice of DSL417 and carry cash for fuel and use cash prices unless I have a CC program (like Discover's 5% rebate) that makes it cheaper. If you do that you still have to go in the station anyway.
Sky_Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:07 AM   #8

I live in Kentucky and often fuel up at Pilot in the truck lanes using my RV Card. I've never had this happen.
2006 Jeep Commander
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
I am a little lost. It seems in some states, the diesel pricefor commercial vehicles is different than non commercial?

Non com pays the normal rate which everyone with an auto or diesel vehicle, like a diesel pickup or diesel jetta would pay?

Why do you feel that you are entitled to pay the commercial (lower?) price because you are in a rv? You aren't commercial, and in other states you would pay the auto rate anyway.

Maybe I'm completely lost?
lemosley01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Your only problem was, you're trying to fuel up in Indiana. Problems created by IN laws have been discussed numerous times here. Most of us try to plan our trips to avoid the need to take on fuel in IN.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:30 AM   #11

Commercial trucks in certain states pay a fuel tax and non commercial vehicles such as diesel car do not. If you pull your mh up to the RV pumps or the car pumps you do not pay this tax. My problem is that sometimes my mh will not fit this RV pump area plus they use a small nozzle which takes forever so I use the truck lanes. Also when I am pulling the race car trailer which will never fit in the RV lanes so I always go into the truck lanes. The problem is in either in the Pilot/Flying J system or the person behind the counter cannot or does not get you out of the commercial rates without a DOT number.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 07:42 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Hint, your MH DOT # for Indiana has 5 numbers.
You can make up your own truck #

Or you can use 1 of the 6 Flying J's in Indiana that have RV lanes and price on pump includes taxes. :(
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 09:55 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
The lower price for using a DOT # is for those interstate truckers who have to apportion their fuel tax between states in which they travel.

They pay no tax at the pump, but do have to file quarterly fuel tax returns with each state.

The individual customer just pays the tax at the pump and is done with the process.

So, Pilot and other fuel stations are not ripping you off! Just making your life easier.

Your price is just like payroll tax withholding except that it is a fuel tax.

If you are making up a DOT # and using it to avoid paying the tax. You might want to reconsider the implications.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:28 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by deandec View Post
If you are making up a DOT # and using it to avoid paying the tax. You might want to reconsider the implications.
It's fraud and you're probably causing some poor trucker to pay extra taxes by using his DOT number. Not nice.