Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-02-2011, 04:32 PM   #1

Plastic Bra removal

I've got a clear plastic bra on my motorhome that is cracked, etc. Anyone know how to remove and /or replace??

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2011, 04:46 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
I need the same info.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:19 PM   #3

I'm at a dealer in Quebec City for a couple of days of repairs and was watching two guys remove a Diamond Shiel Clear film on the front of a Newmar coach. Don't know if this was you mean (plastic bra). Anyways, they were using a heat lamp and a small heat gun along with some teflon scrapers. They spent all day and were mostly finished by 5 this pm. No damage to paint, came out good. I'm here again tomorrow and I can really questions and answers if you have any.
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:02 PM   #4

Hi .
What I have is on an Airstream LY motorhome. The stuff looks like a plastic film that has been put on with some sticky substance. it contours to the bends in the the fibreglass underneath that was painted at the factory. I'll try to contact Airstream factory to see what this stuff is. Probably should have done this before I posted this thread.
Bill
Old 11-02-2011, 06:07 PM   #5

It is probably a Diamond Shield or a 3M. See this link.
RV Tech Library - Diamond Shield Front End Protection
HHIDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 06:23 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
It is pretty pricey to have it removed . . . it gives new life to the motor home, so in that sense it's great. Depending on its condition and how long it's been on there, it can take quite a while. The poor guy who did it at OMC ended up peeling it off in strips, and went through at least one pad on his buffer before he got it off. They touched up the paint, re-applied 3M to it, and it looks brand new.
Old 11-02-2011, 08:46 PM   #7

I just removed my diamond shield last week. I called Diamond Shield and they said to use vinyl off. If any glue is left on use Xylol Xylene to remove it. I found for me it was better to use the Xylol Xylene by wiping it on a 2 foot square area and let it set a few minutes to loosen the vinyl. I then used a heat gun and a stiff plastic scraper to remove the shield. At times I was able to heat and pull large chunks off at a time. I tried the black plastic scrapers at Lowes and Home depot but found they were not strong enough. I had an old scraper that was used to spread plaster and was able to use it. I cut it 2 inches wide. I had to sharpen it with a blunt end once in a while for it to properly work. Do not use the Xylol Xylene if the paint is new. It will take new paint off. You can get the Xylol Xylene at home depot or lowes.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:03 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I agree that it would probably be very helpful if the manufacturer can tell you what the film is, and advise what to use to remove it.

Removing the film totally destroyed the front of our coach, requiring extensive refinishing to restore it to an acceptable level.

As a result, I refuse to consider the use of any kind of protective film again. I have elected to repair and repaint the front of our coach every few years, as it becomes necessary.
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:28 PM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimkate View Post
I agree that it would probably be very helpful if the manufacturer can tell you what the film is, and advise what to use to remove it.

Removing the film totally destroyed the front of our coach, requiring extensive refinishing to restore it to an acceptable level.

As a result, I refuse to consider the use of any kind of protective film again. I have elected to repair and repaint the front of our coach every few years, as it becomes necessary.
We didn't have it installed, ($1,000 option in 2002) now I just figure I'll have the front end repainted and I'll still be ahead of the $$ game!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 09:47 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I can't take credit for this approach, but it just needs to be said:

Use two credit cards to remove the plastic/DiamondShield coating: Credit card #1 is used as a scraper, and credit card #2 is used to pay the guy that is using credit card #1.
Robi.1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 11:44 AM   #11

Hi to all.

This topic seems to be of concern to a lot of us.

I talked to the Airstream factory service department and this is what I found out.

Yes the film on the Airstreams is the 3M brand. It seemed like a good idea at the time the MH was new to use this film to protect the Fibreglass paint from chips, scratches, etc. However the older your MH is the more of a ploblem this film becomes. It cracks, discolours, etc. At the factory service centre they use a heat gun, a plastic scraper, and glue remover to get the film off. Yes you will have to at least do some touch-up to the paint or worse case repaint the front of the MH.

Sounds like the 2 fellows at the shop in Ottawa working for the day on removing the film is one cost but unless you are extremely good at this then you are faced with the additional cost of the paint job.

If anyone is reading this thread and thinking about putting this film on their MH, DON'T DO IT!!!!

Woodytwo
Old 11-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #12

Im a little confused.
Don't they still use those little annoying hooks in the back?
Old 11-04-2011, 10:28 AM   #13

I received a reply to my query to Diamond Shield about removing the film. Koda59 certainly had the right method to remove his film.

"If the film is vastly deteriorated you may want to apply a vinyl decal remover prior to peeling the film off. Vinyl-off is an example of a good decal remover. Just apply the liquid to the front of the coach with a rag and be cautious not to get it on your headlights or fog lights. You may want to put a couple coats on so it can soak in.
Paint protection film can be removed with a heat gun or wall paper steamer. You will only want to "warm" the film up so there is no risk of ruining the paint with too much heat.

Start with a top outside corner and slowly peel a a small section back. You may use plastic razor blades or a thin plastic puddy knife to get under the film. Once you have a small section you can stretch the film low to the paint and back towards the outside of the coach. When you stretch the film it will release towards the inside with minimal stress on the paint.

Once the film is removed there may be adhesive left on the paint. We recommend using a solvent called Xylene or Xylol which can be found at most hardware stores in the paint department. Simply rub on with a rag but make sure to avoid contact with headlights as it will dull the plastic finish.

In most cases removing film is a tedious and can take up to a few full days to remove. "

Good to read that if you follow these instructions, a paint job will not be necessary. I quess that you would be smart to either remove the headlights or mask them off in a liquid proof fashion.

Can't wait to start.
Woodytwo
Old 11-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #14

I had to remove mine a few years ago due to an accident. Took 2 of us about 5 hours. I used a wall paper steamer. Not that the steam will penetrate the film but it will heat it and help. Not an easy job!