Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2011, 08:44 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by robodoc View Post
Question from a newbie,,,, Do ya'll use the pads when you are on concrete pads or only softer "footing?"
Only on softer ground for me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2011, 11:13 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
I use them on soft surfaces such as grass or moist dirt or hot asphalt but not on gravel or concrete.

Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 01:57 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by robodoc View Post
Question from a newbie,,,, Do ya'll use the pads when you are on concrete pads or only softer "footing?"
Mine are on the pads now in my driveway. Would rather have the pads sink into any surface rather than my jacks. The plastic pads are easy and cheap to replace should they get gummed up in anyway.
Old 01-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #18

Soft surfaces only, but some campgrounds require their use.
Old 01-16-2011, 07:05 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman1 View Post
Agree with Dadeaux, two pieces 3/4" exterior plywood (or 3 pieces 1/2" plywood sandwiched together), approximatly 12" square, glued together with Gorilla glue.

Use 1" drill to drill half way thru - use awning rod in hole to place under leveler foot.

Have used for several years with no problem.

FWIW - Have read that in lightning storm, it's good idea to use an insulator barrier (such as plastic mats) between the ground and the wood block, to prevent lightning damage. I have only done this once, however, I keep the plastic mats with me just in event of bad weather.
We use the same technique, except ours are 16" square and the hole in the middle for the awning rod is all the way through.

As for lightning -- we just unplug external electric and all is well. YMMV

JT
RV'nOldTimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 07:03 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
I use a tripe stack of 3/4" plywood, 16" square cause that's what would fit in the bay I wanted to store them in. Made 6 from one sheet of 4x8.

I use em everywhere but gravel pads, gravel supports good. The extras are handy if the site is way off level.
Old 01-21-2011, 09:31 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman1 View Post
Agree with Dadeaux, two pieces 3/4" exterior plywood (or 3 pieces 1/2" plywood sandwiched together), approximatly 12" square, glued together with Gorilla glue.

Use 1" drill to drill half way thru - use awning rod in hole to place under leveler foot.

Have used for several years with no problem.

FWIW - Have read that in lightning storm, it's good idea to use an insulator barrier (such as plastic mats) between the ground and the wood block, to prevent lightning damage. I have only done this once, however, I keep the plastic mats with me just in event of bad weather.
We also use 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood. Ours are screwed together rather than glued. We've used them fo going on 10 years and over 85,000 miles. They've held up in every condition from the sands of Florida, to the permafrost in Alaska and the swamp lands in New Brunswick.

I drilled a hole near the edge of each one and inserted a piece of poly rope to make them easier to pull out of the goo. We store them on edge in a plastic dish pan so they won't get everything in the compartment wet and dirty.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:33 PM   #22

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
We also use 2 pieces of 3/4" plywood. Ours are screwed together rather than glued. We've used them going on 10 years and over 85,000 miles. They've held up in every condition from the sands of Florida, to the permafrost in Alaska and the swamp lands in New Brunswick.

I drilled a hole near the edge of each one and inserted a piece of poly rope to make them easier to pull out of the goo. We store them on edge in a plastic dish pan so they won't get everything in the compartment wet and dirty.
2X on plywood
Old 01-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #23

Son-in-law makes up 20" square pads. 4 x 4 cedar down each side mitered on the corners and a cross piece in the middle. Everyting is screwed together with brass screws to avoid corrosion problems. He then puts 1/2 inch plywood top and bottom and a loop of poly rope thru the plywood so you can pull them around.

I'm going to make some up to his design before next season.
Old 01-21-2011, 08:49 PM   #24

1 1/8 Plytanium

Funny name, but this is a sub-floor material sold at Lowes, it is T&G, rated for 48 inch span, what this means is for a standard sub-floor the joists can be spaced at 48 inches instead of 16.

I used this stuff for the second floor in the shop with steel joists at 16 inches and it is rock solid, where the stair well is located there is an area where the joists are open, so it is 40 inch span and still solid.

You may be able to purchase smaller pieces or have them cut a sheet, it is about $36.00 for a 4x8 sheet.

Get a gallon of good polyurathane and thin it so it will soak in.

Make large squares, say 4 at 16 inch sq, and 4 more at 10 or so inches.

You can stack them to make a taller foot, and if eye screws are added they can be slid under with your awning rod.

They stack in a storage area.
Old 01-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
T and G is short for tongue and groove.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:10 AM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I purchased an 8' long 6X6 treated landscape timber. I cut it into 8 one foot lengths and added some fold down handles that screw into the ends for easy carrying. Super heavyweight and easy to use.

Shop Gatehouse 3-1/2" Zinc Plated Chest Handle at Lowes.com
dmdrj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 06:21 AM   #27

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Found 16"x16"x1" poly pads in yellow. They are set up with s/s wire handles and holes to fit your awning pole. $150.00 for 4 from OFL (outdoors for life) 517.655.8482 and they come in a carry sack. For $20.00 they will engrave your info, don't know why you might want that but it can be done.