Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-24-2017, 05:34 PM   #1

Please help if you can...

Hi all,
I sure hope somebody will be able to help us..
We just purchased new to us 1999 Dolphin V10 Ford Chassis...First time motor homers..
Having
We are really having issues replacing radio. Seriously needed to upgrade from the 4 track cassette system..
We purchased a Kenwood with CD and Bluetooth..We are trying to install ourselves but really proving to be a bit of a nightmare.
It would be a great help if we could see a diagram of the fuse box under dash left of driver..
We have zero idea what all the fuses are for...
Sure hoping somebody may have a pic or diagram with what each fuse is connected to..Any help would be GREATLY appreciated..

Thanking you in advance,
Jo
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2017, 05:56 PM   #2

Do you need to go all the way back to the fuse box ?
Can't you just test the existing radio wiring , with a test light for , a battery power ( radio memory ) and an ignition on feed ( radio on power ).
Old 05-24-2017, 06:17 PM   #3

Hello Skip426
Thank you so much for your quick reply..really is appreciated,,
Problem most, on lack of fuse diagram is we blew a fuse during this procedure..had a hell of a time trying to find out which fuse it was and what it was for..this seems like it may be a problem often ..like looking for a needle in a haystack..pulling each fuse is a nightmare ..
In the long run discovered fuse # 16 is the cigarette lighter ..
Was hoping to avoid having to do that again ...whew

Got all the power stuff figured I think..now at the point of the colour of wire for all speakers..wow..rookies or what ..
Slow but sure....
Again Skip, thx for jumping in to help us...
I love this forum...haven't been here in a while, but getting back into RVing..new rig too..
Hugs
Jo
Old 05-24-2017, 06:21 PM   #4

Hi Dezldog1; I can only tell you about my experience with radio replacement. A couple of months ago I replaced the factory Sony/ CD player in my 2001 Monaco Windsor with a Kenwood/CD, Bluetooth etc. The new smaller wiring harness that comes with the Kenwood was colored coded the same as the Sony and matched the factory Monaco wiring. I just had to splice the Kenwood harness into the factory Monaco harness and everything worked great. Are you saying that there is no harness on the back of the existing radio that is in the Dolphin now? I can't imagine that they ran all the wiring to another location. I would hope that all the wiring would be right behind the excising radio. As Skip426 mentioned, all should be right at the back of the current radio. I hope some of this info helps you get your tunes back. Best of luck.
8.3Oilbuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:40 PM   #5

Hey 8.3Oilbuner.

First off, thanks so much for joining our plight
There is a plug but nothing matched..all different colours... but got by that..Now it's what colour goes to what speakers...a little bit of a dogs breakfast alright.. but working on it ..slow but sure..
All this because cassettes went out of style ROFLMBO...
Couldn't believe it..hadn't seen one of those decks in years...
Old 05-24-2017, 08:55 PM   #6

I don't know how much trouble you are having with the speaker wiring, but this might help. Take a small battery (AA or a 9V) and touch the speaker leads with the battery. You will get a "click" from the speaker. That will help you identify each speaker.

After that, the new radio should have a diagram to help you.

HTH
Tom
TLGPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezldog1 View Post
Hi all,
I sure hope somebody will be able to help us..
We just purchased new to us 1999 Dolphin V10 Ford Chassis...First time motor homers..
Having
We are really having issues replacing radio. Seriously needed to upgrade from the 4 track cassette system..
We purchased a Kenwood with CD and Bluetooth..We are trying to install ourselves but really proving to be a bit of a nightmare.
It would be a great help if we could see a diagram of the fuse box under dash left of driver..
We have zero idea what all the fuses are for...
Sure hoping somebody may have a pic or diagram with what each fuse is connected to..Any help would be GREATLY appreciated..

Thanking you in advance,
Jo
Jo,
Been there, done that, on several vehicles. Motor homes are no different than regular cars and trucks. If you haven't done it, the very first thing I'd do is, if you don't have one,(the sound of it, you don't), I'd find the the model number and name of your existing radio. Then, go on line and type that stuff in and also put, "Owners manual" or, "Installation manual". Quite often, they will be there. If you're lucky enough, and find one, there will be install diagrams of the wiring harness on the back of the radio.

That will tell you EXACTLY what wire colors go to what speakers. And, what's un-switched power (normally for memory purposes and normally yellow in color), switched power , (to turn the radio on with the key and, normally Red in color), power antenna (normally Pink in color) and ground, (normally Black in color).

And, there are sometimes but, not all that common, a diagram of the wiring on the bottom of the radio too. Once you have the diagram, you'll know what goes where. And, in todays radios systems and, sales places, they make adapter harness's that go from your factory plug, to the new radio. But, in some cases, some soldering of the wires might be needed. No big deal if you have the wiring diagram for each, done it several times.

As for your coaches layout of the present fuse panel, there should be a schematic of fuse detail on the bottom side of the cover for the fuse panel, IF YOU HAVE A COVER, some do, some don't. Again, your owners manual may have your fuse layout. Good luck.
Scott
Me, Karla and the Heidi character, (mini Schnauzer)!
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:36 PM   #8

Hi All,
Well very happy to report we have "lift off" ..
Thank you all so very much for advice and support..You guys " ROCK " !!
I am happy to have the tunes back ....and what a difference between this and the little dinosaur we exchanged it for....
I love it !!!!
Thank you all again so very much..
Hugs
Jo