Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-11-2013, 08:22 PM   #29

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN_Traveler View Post
I would respectfully suggest that this post is not in the spirit or tradition of this forum. We are about teaching and learning from other's experience.
It might seem that way to some. However, I have helped many people at camp grounds in their electrical problems and strongly believe that people need to help them selves solve their problem and start to prepare themselves before there is a problem.

One DOES need a meter to own a RV to do anything themselves to solve their problems. And it is obvious that they need knowledge to know the difference between DC and AC to accomplish anything, meter or no meter. I also believe you must tell a person where you stand and not waste energy in leading them to the trough.

Now lets go on and pay attention to the detail of the OP's post. He says that he turns the DC off when not being used to "save" the battery. I assume that is the master switch which disconnects the coach batteries from the coach wiring system. This means that it will probably not get any charging current from the various charging systems. Since solar system are usually added after the manufacture of the coach and the installers probably wire it directly to the battery. He has all of the symptoms.

Now a little reflection on the advice that has been given. This for the most part has been the various problems and resulting fixes which we have experienced during our travels. It must appear as a an unorganized series of facts based comments and in not way helps in creating an understanding of the complex electrical systems in our RVs. The world needs a solution to this dilemma. I am lax in given a suggested fix.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2013, 08:56 AM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Farther more I think that in order for a person to give electrical advise on these forums they must own a multimeter.

Also, from here on in I am not going to provide advise to anyone who does not not own a meter. I will however, take my meter and do what I can to check out a fellow RVer unit to attempt to solve their problem. In the the process I will be hoping that they will have improved their knowledge of electrical systems.

Old 09-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #31

Quote:
Also, from here on in I am not going to provide advise to anyone who does not not own a meter.
This will be interesting. You mean you are going to demand proof - perhaps a signed affidavit from an electrical engineer or a certificate from the supreme court delivered by secure messenger - that anyone coming on here asking for any advice on any subject owns a multimeter and knows how to use it before you will condescend to bestow your inestimable advice.

Words fail me to the extent that I'm unable to come up with a proper response couched in terms that wouldn't get me thrown out of the forum.
Old 09-12-2013, 12:21 PM   #32

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
^^^ Tony - perhaps a machine dated photo and notarized affidavit and receipt stamped paid in full. I'm with you - that was just a bit over the top. Or perhaps a joke?
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:26 PM   #33

Monaco Owners Club
It is totally unbelievable what some of these threads that I read through have turned into but useless dribble that solves nothing.

If I was the OP I'd be running to a different forum to get some helpful advice as to resolving his problem.

I belong to the Monacoers Yahoo Groups and ALWAYS go there first for solving my problems with my Monaco.

I would suggest that the OP go find a Yahoo Group that focuses on his specific brand of RV.

I stop here to get entertained or to see who has been getting ridiculed lately.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 09-12-2013, 12:51 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Tony and DR4, at least when it comes to electrical advice there is lots of advise which is wrong. I am with you that I come to this forum when I want entertainment. This a was my attempt to stir people up and improve the level E advice. Admittedly it was extreme and probably has added to the entertainment present on this forum.

However, shouldn't people giving advice have some qualification before giving that advice? Our electrical systems are very complicated our comfort, safety, and enjoyment depend up it. Electrical advice is by far the worst example of all of the technical areas. What can we do about it?
Old 09-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #35

I have a quick fix. Get a good battery charger and hook to batteries. But remember chassis is 12 volt and house batteries are 6 volt. You might want to get two and make sure they can do 12 and 6 volt. The controls for AC are 12 volt and so are the lights.
Old 09-12-2013, 02:04 PM   #36
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You may have the same issue that I had. The battery isolation manager (black rectangular box in this picture) failed. I had 120V power, but shore power was not recharging the batteries. On sunny days I was OK, but I have more solar panels.

00-10028-000

I called Precision Circuits for a new one

Products

Mine was behind a panel next to where the batteries are housed.

Good luck!
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:12 PM   #37

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
It might seem that way to some. However, I have helped many people at camp grounds in their electrical problems and strongly believe that people need to help them selves solve their problem and start to prepare themselves before there is a problem.

One DOES need a meter to own a RV to do anything themselves to solve their problems. And it is obvious that they need knowledge to know the difference between DC and AC to accomplish anything, meter or no meter. I also believe you must tell a person where you stand and not waste energy in leading them to the trough.

Now lets go on and pay attention to the detail of the OP's post. He says that he turns the DC off when not being used to "save" the battery. I assume that is the master switch which disconnects the coach batteries from the coach wiring system. This means that it will probably not get any charging current from the various charging systems.

Your statement of this 'fact' made me go back and re-read all posts. ocipura started the thread with post #1 (of course) then responded and clarified in posts 3, 5, and 17. AT NO TIME did I read, "turns the DC off when not being used..."

Now a little reflection on the advice that has been given. This for the most part has been the various problems and resulting fixes which we have experienced during our travels.

docj in post #2 zeroed in on the problem. Converter/charger not working or connected. Yes, there was some anecdotal things posted, but posts 7, 9, 20, 22 all recommended using a meter. Then you did again in #24. By the way, my link in post #9 The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1) was a more gentle way to suggest self-education about RV electrical systems.

It must appear as a an unorganized series of facts based comments and in not way helps in creating an understanding of the complex electrical systems in our RVs. The world needs a solution to this dilemma. I am lax in given a suggested fix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by targaboat View Post
Tony and DR4, at least when it comes to electrical advice there is lots of advise which is wrong. I am with you that I come to this forum when I want entertainment. This a was my attempt to stir people up and improve the level E advice. Admittedly it was extreme and probably has added to the entertainment present on this forum.

However, shouldn't people giving advice have some qualification before giving that advice? Our electrical systems are very complicated our comfort, safety, and enjoyment depend up it. Electrical advice is by far the worst example of all of the technical areas. What can we do about it?
Educate and give helpful suggestions as to the problem and possible solution. Impatient, belittling and insulting is not helpful. Yes, some folks chip in with advice or things off topic, but they are often TRYING to help.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
On a 30 amp rig?
Why?
RickO
Many, (most?) 30A rigs will only run one roof air at a time with out reducing the voltage to a level that is harmful to the air conditioners.
If you only have a 30A RV, (or only 30A shore power), it is best to turn off any roof airs while you run a microwave, toaster or any other high amp appliance.

BTW, my 50A rig will not run 2 airs properly if the shore power is only 30A.

Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-12-2013, 02:34 PM   #39

My lights would dim and do some "funky" stuff. I checked the DC volts coming out of the converter/charger, it was only 11.something. I installed a new converter, problem went away.
Old 09-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Time out guys.

Let's get back on topic. If anyone wants to discuss means to validate one's technical expertise requirements before offering advice... or the technical equipment and expertise required before being worthy of receiving advice... please think (twice) about starting your own thread.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #41

Ocipura, I posted earlier commenting I was having the same problem with a similar coach, and after a battery change all was well. Now there is a new post stating the batteries we bought from Sam's Club are faulty, and need replacing at no cost to you. They are Duracell GC2 batteries. Please keep us posted or your outcome. Thanks, Tstep
Old 09-12-2013, 06:00 PM   #42

I would bet Docj diagnosed your problem in the second post. Sounds right on the money to me. I would like to hear the outcome though! Please let us know.

Good luck!
Randy W

Tags
electrical, fulltime