Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-05-2016, 10:37 PM   #15
not as wild or bad as folks running for the gates and open road after another loss for ARMY at USMA @ West Point! Go Air Force beat Navy and Army as usual!

K9Piper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2016, 10:41 PM   #16
I always lower the jacks to level, or stabilize on level ground, prior to extending the slides. I then reverse this order when getting ready to go. It just seems to me the slides were meant to be extended when the coach is level, thereby avoiding possible stress due to uneven load bearing. Kind of like adding an addition to a house when one of the corners has fallen off the foundation😕

PapaBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:26 AM   #17
For your motorhome in general, it is best to level first then deploy the slides. However, keep in mind what you have is a box inside a box and it is best if both boxes are square before you deploy the inner box. My procedure is to park it, make sure the gap around the slides indicate there is no binding and if good deploy the slides then level. If not, then I'll level, check the gaps, and if good deploy. I have had situations where leveling causes it to be unwise to deploy the slides. Regardless of which way I go, I do the reverse to pull them back in.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood SC
2016 Newmar Bay Star Sport 3004
wildtoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:48 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
I have a full wall slide and only one time did I have trouble with the slide operating right. I like to level first and then extend slide. It works for me except once I was on soft ground and some of the jacks sank a bit by morning. This put a twist in the frame which did not allow the slide to come all the way in and lock. The solution was to manually use the jacks and adjust the setup to get things square. Slide then came in as it normally does. One time I was at my brothers house and his yard did not allow me to get level front to back. I was quite low in front but the slide went out as it should. I was afraid I would have trouble coming back in but it retracted as pretty as could be even though the front was low. The trouble comes if you get twisted. Jacks first and then slide is my technique. Works for me but don't let common sense escape you - you will get to know your rig. jmo mark
08 Dutch Star 4354, 2017 Wrangler JKU w/rv brake2, blue ox tow bars, Rockhard front bumper with tow fittings.
MCJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:55 AM   #19
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by dirko View Post
Hi Ho: I hardly ever bother with the jacks if the coach is reasonably level. The residential refrigerator doesn't care and we don't really notice. We have been doing this for a couple of years now and it doesn't seem to have an effect on the slides.

If we were quite a bit off level, we would use the jacks first, but problems with the Level Legs seems to be a lot more likely than problems with the slides.
Ditto. We've been out four times since February and haven't used the jacks, but once and didn't really need them then either. Our owners manual says to level the coach as the last step of the slide extension process. Here are the last two steps.

•Release the slide-out switch when the room is fully extended (a change in motor sound indicates extension). The slide-out drive motor will not stop automatically, the switch must be released.
• Level the motorhome with the leveling system.
Dennis and Katherine
2000 Monaco Dynasty
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:58 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Every RV and manufacture can be different as to their specific instructions for leveling, when to deploy jacks and when to level.

You can't go wrong IF you follow the manufactures recommended instructions.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 06:59 AM   #21
Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
The crux of this discussion has nothing to do with slides and jacks. If you proclaim "I'm right, according to the engineers and experts!", it will be a Pyrrhic victory as you are reminded of it for years every time any little thing breaks on the coach.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
John & Diane, Fulltimers. RVM103 NHSO
On the road since June '12 with Lincoln, the guard cat.
2002 Dutch Star 40, Freightliner, Cat 3126, 2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:23 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Every RV and manufacture can be different as to their specific instructions for leveling, when to deploy jacks and when to level.

You can't go wrong IF you follow the manufactures recommended instructions.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Brian and Tammy
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 35K
Mercury Mariner Hybrid
Blue Ox Baseplate, Blue Ox Tow Bar, Patriot Braking
Brian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:29 PM   #23
Tiffin Owners Club
I have done this for years. We have a quad slide coach. When only doing a one nite stay on level site. Don't use jacks, but do extend opposing slides, either two or all. When staying on beach side park. If level, don't use jacks ever. Have seen rusted jack rams on folks that stay long term. Slides are fine, yes coach bounces a bit with no jacks down. Not something we loss our mind about. As a side note; have seen rigs being driven around sales lot (LD's) with slides extended. Who knows who may own one.
Ret. Military/Corporate Pilot
Key West Snowbirds
The Short Bus - 450 HP
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:56 PM   #24
Because you have the instruction for your coach right in front of you I suggest you already know the answer. My coach, your coach and everybody else's coach manufacturer had a different design. We all know about opinions.
Ron & Linda
2000 Dynasty 38PBS
Full time since 2007
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 02:55 PM   #25

Thank you everyone for the responses. Appreciate it.
Connie, Lisa, and Pepper (rescue puppy). Our blog: arizonalizards.com or bird photography: zenfolio.com/arizonabirder
Newmar Dutch Star 4041 2016
Arizona Lizards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:42 PM   #26
Monaco Owners Club
All Manufacturers may or may have different procedures depending on design etc.
I Have owned 6 class A's all purchased new since 1989. Three of these coaches have been Class A Diesel Pusher. My Latest is a Monaco 40'PDQ 4 Slides. Mfg recommends
1. a)Jacks deployed while unit levels
2.)Coach Jacks lowered and coach leveled while bags deflate/Inflate
Tony, Nancy & Abby the pooch 2011 40'Monaco Knight PDQ Maxxforce 10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
AGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 03:51 PM   #27

Entegra Owners Club
FWIW - Entegra gives us different but emphatic instructions.

Extend at ride height before leveling

Go to ride height and then retract on departure
Cheryl, Emerson and Rascal (Attack Yorkie)
2017 Cornerstone 45B; 2013 Anthem 44SL Traded
2007 Silverado, 2015 Enclave (Not at the same time)
Saltydog44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:55 PM   #28
I believe the question was it is necessary to put the jacks down If the coach is ALREADY LEVEL? Not which order they're done.
My coach needs to be level before putting the slides out. If I am on level ground, I don't put the jacks down for a simple overnight. Sometimes I don't do anything other than putting the slides out.

ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote