Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-02-2018, 06:54 PM   #1

Please help - total newb! Best Class A RVs 34-40' under 350k???

Hi everyone! I'm BRAND NEW to the awesome RV community and would really appreciate some advice on this stuff. I'm looking to buy an RV soon but there's so much info out there, I'm feeling a bit lost.

Who truly makes a well built coach? Every site/blog I read seems to say something different.

So far I have my eyes on Tiffin, but I want to know what y'all think is the best! How do you feel about Nexus or Entrega?

I'm looking to get something between 34 - 40 ft. and under $350k.. any thoughts???
SenorApples is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2018, 07:07 PM   #2

I would look closely at Newmars...
Jtrving is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:07 PM   #3

The words "well" and "built" should not be said together when it comes to RV build quality.
Build quality is abysmal. Dealer service is abysmal. Before you hand over your money to a dealer, give your RV a complete workout of everything. I would spend an entire day doing this. Start outside front to back. Then inside. Have a large notebook and a roll of bright pink tape to Mark and document everything scratched, dented, misaligned, broken, non-working or missing. Have water and propane in the tanks. Hooked up to electricity.
Then when you run out of tape or pages, get another one. Take your results in to them and say when all is fixed to your satisfaction, they get their money. Period.
awol50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:21 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tiffin, Newmar, and Entegra would be my suggested candidates. The companies make quality products with good service and support. Additionally each have good user to user support from online forums with huge amounts of tribal knowledge.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 07:31 PM   #5

If buying new 2017 or 2018 make sure the dealer gives at least a 30% discount off the MSRP. There dealers that automatically discount the units. They are large dealerships. Like LaMesa RV.
Dr. G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 08:16 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
If I were to buy a new coach, in the 40' range, it would be a Newmar.
Tiffins are also a well built coach, just not enough large windows in a Tiffin for me.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:52 PM   #7

You have to do the research. Most people in the end buy the floor plan they like the best.
If buying new, Tiffin Newmar and Entegra have good reputations on this forum. However you may find even from these builders some models may lack features that some consider important. Ya just gotta do the research.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:01 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Find the floorplan that meets your must haves, needs, and nice to haves the best.

Lots of talk about quality but little about failure rate. All of the manufacturers have a very similar failure rate based on the number of units they produce and judging by the complaints on this forum.

Given the number of complaints on this forum I would suggest that some of the highly touted quality rigs may have a higher failure rate than some of the ones less recommended. Unfortunately there are not absolute numbers available.

No matter what you buy the suggestion to carefully inspect it or have knowledgeable people inspect it is a very valuable tool. Look carefully at dealer evaluations and pick one that is know for good service.

Good luck with your search and your selection.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:01 PM   #9

I didn’t see that you specified new. For a quality build go with Foretravel or Newell but of course it will not be a new for that price range but I expect they will still be better than most even at 10 years old. Once you go look in person at their builds and look at how they are put together I think you will impressed. Foretravel is not as glitzy as Newell but they are both high quality. Go on line and just look around Motorhomes of Texas if you want quality coaches.
ecurb74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 09:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsheetz View Post
Tiffin, Newmar, and Entegra would be my suggested candidates. The companies make quality products with good service and support. Additionally each have good user to user support from online forums with huge amounts of tribal knowledge.
I agree!!
Figure out which one works best for you and back the years out till it fits your budget.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:45 AM   #11

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorApples View Post
,,, Who truly makes a well built coach? Every site/blog I read seems to say something different.,,,
Exactly. Your asking a subjective question and will get a subjective answer and most will reflect what the replying forum member owns. What I think is best will never match what you think is best. What I'm willing to accept might be totally unacceptable to you. What I think is a minor inconvenience you might consider the end of the world as you know it.

I enjoy even minute when out in my bargain basement, 12 year old, 65,000 mile, entry level, gas powered Thor Hurricane. I would have no concerns leaving in the next 30 minutes and traveling anywhere within North America for the next 6 hours, 6 weeks or 6 months. Will anyone tell you to drop your budget number to under $100K and find a coach like mine? High probability that will never happen but I will say the coach has never left me on the side of the road 1000 miles from home, never forced us to end an outing early and has never seem the inside of a RV or chassis service center.

Gordon Dewald and awol50 posting stated it perfectly. Basically every coach, even the within the same make and model line, will be different and the failure rate will be different. Don't want to scare you away but I'm not going to paint a picture of unicorns, rainbows and butterflies when it comes motorized RV's. Get out and start kicking tires. Walk the shows. Find a floor plan and take the time to imagine what you normal routine will be inside the coach then imagine your routine for several days of poor weather inside the coach. Will it fit your lifestyle? Yes, no maybe? Once you narrow down the list then post the question again.
Old 04-03-2018, 05:11 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
Exactly. Your asking a subjective question and will get a subjective answer and most will reflect what the replying forum member owns. What I think is best will never match what you think is best. What I'm willing to accept might be totally unacceptable to you. What I think is a minor inconvenience you might consider the end of the world as you know it.

I enjoy even minute when out in my bargain basement, 12 year old, 65,000 mile, entry level, gas powered Thor Hurricane. I would have no concerns leaving in the next 30 minutes and traveling anywhere within North America for the next 6 hours, 6 weeks or 6 months. Will anyone tell you to drop your budget number to under $100K and find a coach like mine? High probability that will never happen but I will say the coach has never left me on the side of the road 1000 miles from home, never forced us to end an outing early and has never seem the inside of a RV or chassis service center.

Gordon Dewald and awol50 posting stated it perfectly. Basically every coach, even the within the same make and model line, will be different and the failure rate will be different. Don't want to scare you away but I'm not going to paint a picture of unicorns, rainbows and butterflies when it comes motorized RV's. Get out and start kicking tires. Walk the shows. Find a floor plan and take the time to imagine what you normal routine will be inside the coach then imagine your routine for several days of poor weather inside the coach. Will it fit your lifestyle? Yes, no maybe? Once you narrow down the list then post the question again.
I would agree with a slightly different twist.
Since this is your first coach and you have a large budget for the coach you want. Find a pre owned coach first and then use the note pad.

Almost everyone who enters RVing will want to trade up. So find a quality used coach with what you think you will want and take notes for a year give or take. Gain insight and experience then trade up.
You will get to enjoy the purchase process twice and if you are careful and buy right you might get a boost when you trade. Most people sell very low and with some care you can pick up a good deal.

I have owned both Allegro and Now a Newmar as well as several others and would only recommend those two to someone else.

I have had used and new Allegros, Tiffin is famous for customer care. Newmar is very well constructed, the 99 I am remodeling now, I can still get free tech support from the mfg.

Good luck and keep us posted
Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 05:28 AM   #13

We just upgraded last September with a similar budget. When we first bought we picked up a well cared for 40 Fleetwood. We used it for 3 years. We did this because we didn't want to spend a load on something we didn't use or end up not liking. After we a few years we decided to spend 4 months a year travelling so we upgraded.

Our list was, ISX, side radiator, heated floors, dishwasher, stacked washer and dryer, bath and half, king bed on passenger side, all electric, able to get to the half bath and open fridge when slides are in and heated basement.

So we found what we liked, it was a quality used unit and we paid 40% of it's actual sale price. We had a 300 to 400k budget and spent 270k plus another 15k on other items.

I say find the floor plan you like then find a quality coach that has it. You can easily tell the low, mid and high range coaches just by walking into them. Me I look at 5 year old ones that people bought used for a a week here and there then sell.

Good Luck!
Old 04-03-2018, 05:32 AM   #14

My approach was a bit different than Quincy.
I researched a year before buying. I had the advantage of 2 close friends that had Class A's. Both had bought new and used. I asked a lot of questions on this and other forums.

I decided after a years research my budget would only allow a used coach but if i went back far enough a pretty nice one. I bought a 10 yo coach that I've been very happy with, it will likely be the first and last coach I buy.

The cost to trade up would take too much of my RV budget so that was not an option.
Both sold
2021 Vanleigh Beacon 41LKB 5th wheel
timjet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, rvs