RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-20-2019, 02:12 AM   #1

Please help w/ buying new MH

Hello Everyone

I'm interested in buying a used Class A motor home for about 15k to 30k. I live in N. central FL. area. I would like at least I slide in living room. And also prefer front entrance.

Please give some suggestions on reliable brands and models. I'm kinda old school guy who doesn't like a lot problems.

Really appreciate.

paulshoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-20-2019, 02:48 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First, welcome to the forum. People will want to know if you're looking for a gas or diesel motor home. You mention front entry which is usually a diesel. Also how long of a unit are you looking for?? There should be plenty out there for sale so take your time in deciding on the right one for you. Good luck in your search and hope you find what works best for you.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:38 AM   #3

i would recommend a class/training in rv repair before proceeding with your purchase...
considering your desire for quality, which is good, i would read all you can get your hands on.
good luck...
i don't think your price range and desire match unless you have a favorite uncle/neighbor/church mate that wants to give you a blessing...
rockriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 04:19 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulshoe View Post
Hello Everyone

I'm interested in buying a used Class A motor home for about 15k to 30k. I live in N. central FL. area. I would like at least I slide in living room. And also prefer front entrance.

Please give some suggestions on reliable brands and models. I'm kinda old school guy who doesn't like a lot problems.

Really appreciate.
Your budget and expectations are worlds apart, Paul. A coach in that price range is either a cheapy that's 15 years old, or a better grade that's 25+ years old, or high miles or ridden hard/put away wet.

A motor home is a bunch of systems; all of which bounce around and age out, or leak, or don't light, or simply fail. If you aren't inclined to be a DIY guy, you'll always be traveling with things that are broken or squeaky or otherwise.

If you plan to live in it, not a big deal, but if you want to travel, you want something that won't cost $5,000 just to get it towed and fixed when it breaks down.

If you plan to pay people to fix things, you'll equal your purchase budget within a few years of buying it in repairs. These things are not inexpensive to take care of.

Again, these things are not inexpensive to take care of; especially ones that are bought at a low price, because you are buying somebody else's surprise repairs.
bamaboy473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:00 AM   #5

Welcome to the forum! We went through the process of buying our first used gas motor home a little over a year ago. I tend to agree that your budget is low unless you have quite a bit more cash available for tires, shocks, replacement mattress, furniture, etc. We started out looking at older units under $40,000 and just couldn't find a unit that wouldn't require a lot of work. Also, so many older units have faded exteriors, worn out carpeting (expensive to replace) and other issues. We ended up spending more to get a newer Newmar that was in great condition. After purchasing, I replaced the tires, had the front end aligned and a Roadmaster Reflex Steering stabilizer.

IMHO, if you want quality, consider Newmar, Tiffin and the better quality Winnebago/Itasca motor homes. If you are considering a DP, make sure you understand the added cost for maintenance. There is also the added cost of towing a vehicle behind a motor home. Whether you tow on a dolly or four down, it's going to be a couple of thousand or more to get set up. You may be able to save if you can do the work yourself and find a good used dolly or tow bar/base plate.

With your budget constraints, a travel trailer or fifth wheel trailer may be a better option if you already have a tow vehicle or are willing to look for a used truck.

I found that the Motor Home Comparison Guide to have a lot of useful information and worth the money if you don't have any experience with mothor homes.
https://rvreviews.net/motorhome-comparison-guide/

And, this forum has so much information if you take time to research the various topics.
Good luck in your search and PM me if you have any questions that I may be able to answer.
Brake Buddy, 2015 Chevy Malibu
scbwr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:04 AM   #6

Here's a Foretravel that might work if you can give up the slide.
https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pr...09244?ref=list

Retire 2020 GLW
okcnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 08:57 AM   #7

Hopefully you realize the gamble you are thinking of taking on

You need to have a considerable sum for backup to address unknown issues

Hopefully that wont be the case but the odds aren't in your favor
Milford 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 10:03 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I would go to RVTrader.com and do a search based on your budget figure, type of RV, etc. That will give you an idea of what is available.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:05 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
Your budget and expectations are worlds apart, Paul. A coach in that price range is either a cheapy that's 15 years old, or a better grade that's 25+ years old, or high miles or ridden hard/put away wet.

A motor home is a bunch of systems; all of which bounce around and age out, or leak, or don't light, or simply fail. If you aren't inclined to be a DIY guy, you'll always be traveling with things that are broken or squeaky or otherwise.

If you plan to live in it, not a big deal, but if you want to travel, you want something that won't cost $5,000 just to get it towed and fixed when it breaks down.

If you plan to pay people to fix things, you'll equal your purchase budget within a few years of buying it in repairs. These things are not inexpensive to take care of.

Again, these things are not inexpensive to take care of; especially ones that are bought at a low price, because you are buying somebody else's surprise repairs.
This is about the best and most accurate response I have seen in a while .
Darin1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:47 PM   #10

We bought a 1999 35 foot Georgie Boy class A 3 years ago. It had 15000 miles. We replaced all tires, did all PMs and did some upgrades. It has been a reliable coach. The rear heater and oven had never been fired. The convertible couch had never been slept in. We have doubled the mileage and have really enjoyed the coach. There are plenty of good used units for sale. Best of luck!
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 03:24 PM   #11

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulshoe View Post
Hello Everyone

Really appreciate.
Front entrance means DP, which would probably be my choice anyway and you should be able to find a well kept 98 American Eagle with a slide, for around $25K, which were really built right, in those days. This will also leave you a few bucks below budget for the unexpected....
https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/1998/...3001435/Values
And yes you can find one for that price and especially in FL in the summertime.
Anyone who has one for sale, can only wish to get more for it, with some above retail asking price, only in his dreams.
Yes, there are some who will argue and for some rare cases, where a seller has really hit pay dirt, but for the most part, below NADA low retail is the norm, for however one might do it.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:36 PM   #12

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okcnewbie View Post
Here's a Foretravel that might work if you can give up the slide.
https://www.motorhomesoftexas.com/Pr...09244?ref=list
Nice coaches, the Foretravel's, but don't get it with these dealers asking triple retail and surely they're not getting it. Probably inflated so not to shock a buyer with a 0 trade in offer and a good salesman always has to make one feel that he's getting more than what his trade is worth.
Further more, a no slide coach is generally hard to sell for any kind of real money. In fact it's as much as 50% of it's total value in many cases.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 07:04 PM   #13

I suggest that you look only at gassers. And those with at least one slide out in the main living area. A DP that your budget could accommodate will be approx 20 years old with major systems near or at the end of their life cycle. Very few of these are inexpensive. Find out what it would cost to replace a radiator or turbo, or fix an air ride system on a DP.
Delaware beaches ----- DW & Kip the Wonder Dog
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:18 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post

Agree 100%.

RunningHard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
buying