Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #71

Tiffin Owners Club
Several interesting ideas. I would focus my effort on a clog at the gray tank drain. That seems like the most likely cause. The little spring looking drain cleaner or if you can find someone with a toilet snake you will probably solve your problem.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2013, 07:43 PM   #72

Monaco Owners Club
Anita, I vote for trying the plunger too. Try to get some standing water in the shower, then cover the drain with the plunger. Grab the plunger handle with both hands and make it go up and down as fast as you can 5 or 6 times. Then rest a bit and repeat. Do this until the water starts draining out or you think it just isn't doing any good. It's a cheap and easy thing to try and there are several of us that think there is a good chance it may solve your problem.

CaymanPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 08:58 AM   #73

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
ZIPPITY DOODA UPDATE!
We did it! The lines are clear! Water and air both
I suppose.
The last fee days ive been fillin the grey tank as much as possible and then dumping it, to attempt to get te soap and years of downey fabric softner out of te bottom of the tank. Yesterday I filled the grey tank 1/3 hen added a whole bottle of extra strength Drano and let it soak for an hour.
I then flushed the tank with Hot Hot water about 5 times. In fact I'm flushing it again this morning.
And this morning I'm using te shower to full the tank! There is NO water in the shower pan with the grey valve closed!!! Yeah!
Thanks you guys at RV.net and IRV2 Forums! I could not have done this without your suggestions, instructions and help. Thank you, Thank you, Thank you!
I'd bet you saved me at least $1500, not counting fuel and time and agrivation at the repair place.
I'm sorry I get a lite snippy there for a moment in one of my posts - I was exhausted.
So happy now! If you ever find yourself in southern CA look me up, I'll buy you a beer or lemonade.
I'll be in the area until middle of May, then to Bishop CA for Mule Days and then I think I'll head north to Oregon for the summer.
Big Hugs to you all!
Anita, in a clear running shower with all valves
Closed!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:39 AM   #74

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
As we say in Texas, Yee Ha! Ain't life grand. Ok - now for the PSA - if you didn't get the schematics for plumbing and wiring etc, please try to get them. If not for your use, when something goes wrong and the nice folks parked next to offer to help, you can lay the papers out on the picnic table and sip lemonade while looking for routing and other fun things. Couldn't hurt. But again, Yee Ha!!!

Edit: BTW - you were a trooper and inspiration to us all. Dogged determination! Way to go!
flaggship1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:00 PM   #75

Official iRV2 Sponsor

After my gray clog experience I now routinely do a fill and flush on the tank about once a month, particularly when we're parked for extended periods. I also found a sink strainer made out of wire mesh which does a much better job of catching food particles than did the basket strainer that came with the sink.
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:53 PM   #76

Newmar Owners Club
Thats wonderful Anita! Safe and happy trails to ya.......
Old 03-05-2013, 12:22 AM   #77

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Here's my take....

2008 45' Monaco Dynasty. Full time live in and Full hook up water/50 amp power and/sewer.

Normal setting for months at a time:
Black tank valve closed until time to dump.
Grey tank valve open always, EXCEPT for a few moments a week to dump the black tank.

Getting ready to go on a trip... closed grey tank valve, took shower, shower pan immediately fills with water to almost overflowing onto floor. Stop shower, run outside, open grey tank valve, water immediately drains out of shower pan to sewer.
Tried again the next day with the same results..shower pan filling, running outside with shampoo in hair to open grey tank valve and resume shower.

Sign onto RV net to ask questions, get great suggestions and next day go onto roof with hose. Shoot water at highest pressure down roof vent, water goes INTO shower pan. While up there shoot water down the other vent to black tank - no issues there.
Same day used electric snake down the roof vent as far as it would go (10-12 feet? Then used same snake down the shower drain - as far as it would go, about 2 feet?

This seemed to make a little bit of a difference. Instead of the shower pan filling up immediately, a bit of water would go down the drain.... maybe 2-3 minutes, before filling shower pan. I ran the shower 8 or 10 times for 3-4 minutes until pan was full, turned water off, let it drain and then filled it up again. I started to fill the grey tank.

ALL THIS TIME ALL GAUGES READ GREY TANK EMPTY.

I got the grey tank to 2/3 full, went outside, pulled grey valve open and water went freely (not slowly) down the sewer. I did this 4-5 times. Trying to fill grey tank and then dumping.

Yesterday I filled tank with very hot water to 1/3 full. I added 1/2 bottle of extra strength Drano gel. After 30 minutes I added the rest of the bottle of drano and more hot water. I let this soak for an hour and then dumped tank.

Back in the bathroom, used shower to fill grey tank. THen dumped grey tank, it got easier and easier to fill with the shower head. I filled the tank at least 6 times with hottest water available, and then dumped to get drano out.

The shower seems to be working perfectly now. I can let the shower run until the grey tank indicates full with no backup into the shower pan.

Thank you thank you thank you for all your help and ideas and encouragement.
I hope this answers some of your questions and gives you a clearer picture of what went down.

Anita
Old 03-05-2013, 09:06 AM   #78

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Oh and I forgot the most important lesson I've learned thru this puzzle....

Yesterday one of the members here - lets call him Chuck, and is beautiful wife, lets call her Terry, jumped in their truck and drove down here to see if he could help me. WOW WOW WOW!!!!
We started with a short visit here at the bus, out to lunch at the harbor for the best bowl of chili, a little window shopping in out little town, tour of another State Park and then back to my bus where
I got a lesson in how to check, clean and protect the 4 big marine type batteries.
This was followed by more visiting, tales of travel and his recent retirement and plans to camp together over Memorial Day at Mule Days in Bisho, CA.
So, this dilemma, clogged vents, grey tanks, although frustrating, was the avenue I got to travel to make 2 new friends, whom I know I'll be seeing more of in the future.
Thank you Chuck and Terry! A sweet, beautiful couple just starting their retirement journey with an abundance of enthusiasm and kindness - I know they'll go far. Lets do an Rv adventure in Africa!!!!
Sincerely, Anita
Old 03-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #79

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you Anita,
My wife and I enjoyed the day with you, and having lunch at Dana Point. The chili was very good. My wife enjoyed the window shopping in San Clemente, so much she bought a ring. It does sound like you had a build up in your tank. Filling, draining, filling, and soaking it must have softened up what was in the tank and you able to flush it out. When you get ready to leave, fill the gray tank about 1/3, to see if the sloshing will break any more loose. Let us know when your in town, so we can go to Filippi's and have some bones. I still need to check into Mule Days.

Chuck & Teri Boone
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350,F53 Chassis Chassis build date 1/99, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags front & rear, Koni Shocks,Blue OX TruCenter,TigerTrak track bars front & rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar,2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW with B & W Custom Truck Bed, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:04 AM   #80

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
About once a month after dumping the gray tanks, I fill them about 1/3 with clean water and add a 1/2 cup of Dawn and then drive to our next destination. As soon as we are set up I drain the gray tanks. I have a clear fitting that I can watch what comes out. You will be amazed at the chunks of gray matter that come out.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:23 AM   #81

Monaco Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Where can I get a clear fitting for the dump hose?
Old 03-06-2013, 12:27 AM   #82

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParryTack View Post
Where can I get a clear fitting for the dump hose?
Any RV supply should have them, I think I bought mine at WalMart.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:12 AM   #83

National RV Owners Club
So just as a question, you aren't supposed to leave the drain valve on Black tanks open when hooked up to sewer, is there not the same dangers involved when talking grey water. All kinds of things go into the grey water including grease from cookware, conditioners, soaps, tooth paste and so on. Can not this residue also build up in a grey water tank and cause problems?
Old 03-06-2013, 03:34 AM   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirpurrcival View Post
So just as a question, you aren't supposed to leave the drain valve on Black tanks open when hooked up to sewer, is there not the same dangers involved when talking grey water. All kinds of things go into the grey water including grease from cookware, conditioners, soaps, tooth paste and so on. Can not this residue also build up in a grey water tank and cause problems?
You need to leave the black tank valve closed untell the tank is full. If you leave the valve open, the water will flow out but not the solids and the dreded perimed will form in the tank (not good). If this perimed is allowed to harden during storage it turns to concrete

stink is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water