Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2013, 10:53 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Did you miss the part about 48' from CG distribution panel to RV? I'd take bets there are very few CG's that meet that requirement.
No, but I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that the CG is wired per IEEE recommendations and local code.

That being said, if the panel is more than 48' away and on a 10ga wire, using an 8 ga wiire from the panel to the RV isn't going to do much to help...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2013, 02:11 PM   #16

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
No, but I assume (perhaps incorrectly) that the CG is wired per IEEE recommendations and local code.

That being said, if the panel is more than 48' away and on a 10ga wire, using an 8 ga wiire from the panel to the RV isn't going to do much to help...
Maybe that's why the 50 amp plugins are better?

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post
Maybe that's why the 50 amp plugins are better?
No, they work better because you're not pulling a true 50A through them. They were designed for a lot more power. They're 240v * 50A = 12000 watt.

Your (and my) 30A connector is 30A * 120V = 3600 watt.

They're also better because they're probably wired with 8 gauge wire... It's like getting closer to the "source".
Old 06-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Yea, I thinking 50 amp would be wired with 6 awg and 4 awg for runs over 100ft.
Old 06-17-2013, 03:48 PM   #19

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
No, they work better because you're not pulling a true 50A through them. They were designed for a lot more power. They're 240v * 50A = 12000 watt.

They're also better because they're probably wired with 8 gauge wire... It's like getting closer to the "source".
I know that my EMS shows me more voltage when I plug in with the adapter to the 50 amp over the 30 amp plug, so that's what it has to be.

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2013, 04:04 PM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnboy2 View Post

What I have found best is don't even ask for a 30 amp hookup, request a 50 amp hookup and put the 30/50 adapter on. In the middle of the heat of the summer, I have no issues when hooked up to a 50 amp with the adapter. Plenty of voltage, even though you would think it wouldn't make a difference, it does.

Hope this helps!
Sometimes I don't see the forest because of all the trees..........

What a great suggestion, ordered an adaptor today, sometimes I would get a CG that would cause my rear air to cycle (shed), this should end that.
Old 06-17-2013, 07:21 PM   #21

Quote:

You have to remember to divide the 12000 Watt because that 12000 watts is between 2 separate legs. 50 amp at 120V per leg. If all the boxes are wired like the one I just had to "modify" this weekend, there are 2 heavy gauge wires (maybe 4?). One is attached to one side of the 50 amp breaker and the box has a buss for the second leg that is connected to the other 50 amp, 30 amp, and 20 amp breakers. It was not individual runs. It would be very expensive to make separate runs as it seems others appear to be thinking.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:59 PM   #22

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post

You have to remember to divide the 12000 Watt because that 12000 watts is between 2 separate legs. 50 amp at 120V per leg. If all the boxes are wired like the one I just had to "modify" this weekend, there are 2 heavy gauge wires (maybe 4?). One is attached to one side of the 50 amp breaker and the box has a buss for the second leg that is connected to the other 50 amp, 30 amp, and 20 amp breakers. It was not individual runs. It would be very expensive to make separate runs as it seems others appear to be thinking.
The reasoning behind CG's wiring pedestals that way is one, to save money on wire and two, they are figuring that a RV will be using either the 50 amp outlet or the 30 amp outlet but NEVER both at the same time.

However, I have seen some full-time resident's living at RV Parks that have stuff plugged into ALL of them and are even using splitters to plug in some more stuff. An accident and fire waiting to happen.

A properly wired pedestal should have a 240 VAC power supply going to the 50 amp double pole circuit breaker. Then two different 120 VAC power supply's going to each one of the 30 amp and 20 amp single pole circuit breakers.

That way you will NOT overload anyone of the circuits.

JMHO

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-17-2013, 09:08 PM   #23

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
It also will help save the cable ends if you turn OFF the circuit breaker prior to plugging in and also unplugging! It will save arcing which will burn up male and female ends.

Wait to turn on until you are completely plugged in!

burfurd
Old 06-20-2013, 08:29 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Low Price 50/30 adaptor

Ordered this one from Amazon for $15. Disappointed it was China item, Amazon did not declare the C of O and I declared my disappointment in my review. Should be okay no more use than I will have.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	023.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	40955