Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2013, 04:18 PM   #1

plug in 30 amp

OK here is my problem for the 2nd time in a year my plug has burnt up and also the panel plug. my intella tac system say i an not even pulling 30 mostly 11 to 26 (with 1000 watt microwave) now we have checked the park they do have the correct wire #10awg and i have not added any thing on to the rig that was not factory any thoughts??? we do live in full time

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
RV Park outlets take a beating from day to day use. If the connection isn't tight, the increased resistance and resulting heat will burn up your male plug. You probably should carry some extra adapters or 30 amp male ends as spares and check the outlet for fit before you plug in.

If you have a bad outlet, make sure you mention it to park management and insist on another site or to be relocated to another site.

luvlabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
If you are talking about the MOLDED 30 amp plugs,I would guess that the
wire to the blade connections inside are made real cheap.
But if you have a loose connection in the pedestal outlet,that would also heat up the plug.I would just cut off the damaged plug and replace it with one from Home Depot or Lowes,be sure to make good connections.
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:55 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvlabs View Post
RV Park outlets take a beating from day to day use. If the connection isn't tight, the increased resistance and resulting heat will burn up your male plug. You probably should carry some extra adapters or 30 amp male ends as spares and check the outlet for fit before you plug in.

If you have a bad outlet, make sure you mention it to park management and insist on another site or to be relocated to another site.

land yacht,
When you push your plug into the CG pedestal and it goes in easy, the receptacle is worn-out. The spring tension is gone from excessive heat caused by time and high-usage. That is my definition of "park outlets take a beating" luvlabs stated.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:36 PM   #5

well they did replace the plug also both times and it was tight and this last time we replaced the wires in side
Old 06-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
KIX

When was the last time you tightened all the electrical connections inside your RV. I.e. distribution panel, CB's, power inlet lugs
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 10:00 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by land-yacht View Post

OK here is my problem for the 2nd time in a year my plug has burnt up and also the panel plug. my intella tac system say i an not even pulling 30 mostly 11 to 26 (with 1000 watt microwave) now we have checked the park they do have the correct wire #10awg and i have not added any thing on to the rig that was not factory any thoughts??? we do live in full time
Sorry, I really don't believe that 10 gauge wire is large enough for 30 amp service.

Just my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 06-16-2013, 06:39 AM   #8

To reinforce what Richard stated, per this wire size calculator 48' is the longest run #10 wire will safely conduct a 30A circuit. That is total length from the CG distribution panel to your coach's breaker panel.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 06-16-2013, 08:21 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
Sorry, I really don't believe that 10 gauge wire is large enough for 30 amp service.
It is per electrical code. See above.. 48' - it's fine. 10 gauge wire isn't the issue. Replace that wire with 8 gauge and the connector is still going to melt. You've got some loss at the plug.

Note also that most 30A circuits are rated to about 80%, so 26A continuous is a pretty good load.

Two things I've noted can help:
1) Get a good plug. Strip the wires correctly and make sure they're attached with lots of contact area.
2) I'll solder them on in addition, this helps with the electrical loss.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:43 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post
It is per electrical code. See above.. 48' - it's fine. 10 gauge wire isn't the issue. Replace that wire with 8 gauge and the connector is still going to melt. You've got some loss at the plug.

Note also that most 30A circuits are rated to about 80%, so 26A continuous is a pretty good load.

1) Get a good plug. Strip the wires correctly and make sure they're attached with lots of contact area.
Did you miss the part about 48' from CG distribution panel to RV? I'd take bets there are very few CG's that meet that requirement.
Old 06-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1000rider View Post

I agree. 48' is for a max of 3% voltage drop.
The plug burning is due to a bad receptacle and/or bad wire connection on the plug connections.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
Did you miss the part about 48' from CG distribution panel to RV? I'd take bets there are very few CG's that meet that requirement.
If the CG has a 50amp circuit also, the wire is larger than 10 gauge. I just had to "rewire" a CG box because the 30 amp breaker was bad. Had to tap into the 50 amp side. The wire coming is was very large. Looked almost like 100 amp service cable.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:43 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I won't argue the merits of 10 ga wire... Not worth the bandwidth to do so.. But I will comment on the plugs.

I know my 30 amp likes to get replaced every few years.. But one thing you can do to extend it's life is LOOK at it.. I pulled into the old campground a few weeks back (i am on 50 amp here in the new campground) and noticed the blades getting a bit black, so out came ye-old dremel and polish them up some. AGAIN.. I also keep a spare plug in stock. And highly recommend doing so.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:02 AM   #14

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by land-yacht View Post
I have had issues with my 30 amp service on my MH too. I carry backup male Camco plugs and they work (for me) better because they sieze the cable coming out of the plug, preventing movement inside the plug around the connectors.

I have had several incidents in the summer with CG power and I do believe the 30 amp 10 gauge wire is at its max in the heat, literally out in the heat then the heat generated by even one loose terminal can bring it down.

I open up my plug and tighten everything down if needed before the summer heat. I also noticed last year my shore cord the ends (insulation was cracking) were getting worn and I cut it down about 6" to newer fresh wire.

Also, it only takes one bad CG outlet to ruin yours. The heat will expand the terminal and/or scorch the blade and then it's like a virus, it just transfers with you.

What I have found best is don't even ask for a 30 amp hookup, request a 50 amp hookup and put the 30/50 adapter on. In the middle of the heat of the summer, I have no issues when hooked up to a 50 amp with the adapter. Plenty of voltage, even though you would think it wouldn't make a difference, it does.

Hope this helps!

Lincolnboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote