Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2016, 09:34 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Plugged up black tank flush valve

Hi everyone, its me again with another maintenance, or lack there of, question. The valve that you connect to when flushing the black tank after dumping it is plugged solid. It will not accept any water for flushing the tank. I bought one of those devices that accept an air chuck and screwed it into the valve. I then attempted to blow it out with forced air, to no avail. Does anyone have any ideas on how to soften the gunk on the inside of the tank so I can flush it after dumping.

tdyltc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2016, 09:42 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have seen service outfits that use a camera to see what in the tank and then do a pressure wash kind of process to clean the tank. They use the camera again to verify the cleaning. I have friends who had the service done but I have no idea of the success of such a cleaning. I have kept my tank clean from day 1 by back flushing and the running Dawn dish washer soap (blue) in the tank for a few hundred miles and then draining the tank. It seems to be working after 9 years of use.

UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 10:13 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Buy a Vacu flush. works great.
https://images5.campingworld.com/Cam.../14496nnew.jpg
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 07:47 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Mine clogged and I tried air pressure with no success. I found the spray nozzle on the curb side of the coach behind a basement access panel on top of the black tank. Removed it (three screws and silicone). Found it clogged on the inlet side with a couple of inches of "brown stuff." Reinstalled with stainless screws and silicone. I have no idea how the stuff got in through the little holes. The tank had been unusually full just before I found it clogged.
Old 09-25-2016, 10:21 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
Are you sure it's clogged, or is the valve broken?

I recently "had some help" from someone who ended up breaking the black tank valve. The handle ended up breaking apart from the valve, so when you pulled the handle out the valve itself never actually opened. Had to go find a store to get a replacement valve, then change it out on the road. Since the tank was half full.....using the jacks, I tilted the motorhome so it was significantly tilted to PS, then I could remove the 4 bolts to swap out the valve, 15 min job.

I now carry a spare, as it took me couple hours to locate someone who had the valve and drive 60 miles to get it. Less than 20 bucks for a replacement, so having a spare in case of a leaking seal or breakage, is a nobrainer. Just wish I would have known to buy one a head of time.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 01:36 PM   #6

Plugged up black tank flush valve

These guys can clean your tank and have some dealers who use their process, contacts are on the web site but they are all in Arizona. I do use their product in my tanks and it works great with no smell.

If you are not nearby, you might call them for suggestions.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:13 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Could be at he vacuum breaker/check valve that is inline has a problem. Check in the cabinets in you bathroom you'll find it.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2010 Chevy Colorado 4X4
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 02:16 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Question tdyltc46
If I understand you, your waste water flows out when you pull the black valve waste gate. So your Black Tank is then empty. Correct?

But when you connect a water hose to flush your Black Tank, you do not get water flow through the rinsing jets inside the Black Tank, to assist in cleaning Waste Matter Out. Correct?

If I am right, the easiest way to begin flushing your tank again is with the fitting recommended by "spritz".

I would guess the nozzles inside the tank are plugged with lime or hard water deposits and not Poop encrusted from inside the tank. If it is hard water, I would fill your hose with CRE, or vinegar and see if that works.
But I believe you may need to replace the nozzles, of which I have no information on, "How To", but I have read on here folks who have replaced or installed new.

If I misread your post I am sorry. and in that case Never Mind.

Side Note: I do not know this for a fact, but I would not use air pressure to clear the nozzles, as you might blow a nozzle into the tank.

Well Good Luck.
Old 09-25-2016, 02:22 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you all for your replies. I will see if I can find where the nozzle enters the tank and remove it for cleaning as you did Steve.
Old 09-25-2016, 08:00 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You are correct Bilgerat. The waste gate works perfectly. I am able to dump but I am unable to back flush the tank via the the flush valve. Thank you for the thoughts on hard water deposits. I never thought of that as a possibility. I will also look into the "Spritz" valve.
Old 09-25-2016, 09:04 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
If you are talking about the sprayer, there is plenty of discussion over on the tiffinrvnetwork.com about this. I suspect your coach is similar to mine, and the sprayer is on the top of the black tank, on the passenger side. You'll need to take the basement side panel off, mine had 8 screws. It's the panel that doesn't open, and is where your tanks are. Take care to not chip the paint with your screwdriver as you place it in the crack between the two basement panels. Use a helper when you take the final bolts off, you don't want to drop the panel and/or scratch it.

You'll see a hose coming down over to a fitting that is mounted with 3 stainless screws to the top of the black tank. Take those screws out, and pull out the sprayer. Drill out the holes to 3/32" . It's nothing more than a white pvc like pipe about an inch in diameter, and 3 inches long. I also added a couple extra holes on mine on the bottom, as well as the side of the sprayer toward the DS. Seal with some caulking and remount.

Mine never clogged, but has always been pretty anemic. Works great now, I can now actually hear it spraying inside the tank when I'm flushing.

This isn't a hard job or take very long, just need to be careful with the panel.

You may want to consider adding a sprayer to your gray tank. I was in a hurry doing some preventive maintenance before a long trip, so really didn't have time to add a complete 2nd sprayer. Just would be easier to only take the basement panel off once.
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2016, 09:22 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the information on how to access the blank tank spray nozzle on a Tiffin motor home, Kiawah. A previous poster put me on to removing and cleaning it, but he had a different make of coach.

Tags
black tank, tank