Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2011, 04:42 PM   #1

plugging into 110 outlet

I am just getting started into the RV camping. I have a 32ft motorhome and I will be traveling next weekend and will stay in the driveway of a friend. I have a adapter for the rv power cord that will allow me to plug into the house 110 outlet with a drop cord. What will this allow me to power on in the motorhome. I understand what it will power on at a rv park where I can plug into a 30 amp, but not sure about this setup (30amp to 110v). Will this also charge my house batteries (two six volt). Also is their a FAQ section for rookie rv owners somewhere on the web.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2011, 04:49 PM   #2

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmerritt View Post
I am just getting started into the RV camping. I have a 32ft motorhome and I will be traveling next weekend and will stay in the driveway of a friend. I have a adapter for the rv power cord that will allow me to plug into the house 110 outlet with a drop cord. What will this allow me to power on in the motorhome. I understand what it will power on at a rv park where I can plug into a 30 amp, but not sure about this setup (30amp to 110v). Will this also charge my house batteries (two six volt). Also is their a FAQ section for rookie rv owners somewhere on the web.
I plug into 110 at Home for a while till we st up 50amp only could run one AC and refridge

Old 02-13-2011, 05:01 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Basically, your refrigerator and lights. "Should" be able to keep your batteries charged.

Suggest you Google Basic Electricity: Voltage, Amperage and Wattage.

Respectfully, Kerry
Old 02-13-2011, 05:07 PM   #4

With a heavy drop cord if your batteries are weak the charger will probably use all the power.
Old 02-13-2011, 05:20 PM   #5

A 50 foot extension cord with 12 guage wires will allow 20 amps @ 120 volts, IF the outlet that you use is on a 20 amp circuit. You can check the amp. capacity of the circuit by looking at the number on the circuit breaker in the house that you connect to- it will usually be 15 or 20 amp. As noted earlier, if your batteries are low, you may pull a lot of amps - maybe 12 to 15. However, as the batteries come up to full charge, the amps will decrease and you will have more amps to use for other loads. If you draw too many amps (example 20 amps from a 15 amp circuit), the circuit breaker in the house that you are connected to will trip, so you are protected.
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you are plugging into a garage plug, it will be a 15 amp or a 20 amp circuit. As noted above a 12 gauge extension will provide 20 amps. To help on the power, run the frig and water heater on propane not electric. You should be able to keep your batteries charged and watch some TV. You may not be able to run the microwave.

Get one of the plug in voltage read outs and see what you are running in the coach and drop loads so that you stay above 108 volts.

If you have a 20 amp, the A/C should be good to run, but watch your power consumption.

Ken
Old 02-13-2011, 05:35 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome to irv2 bmerritt.
This LINK will explain your 12V & 110 systems pretty much.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:01 PM   #8

If you have a newer house outlet maybe gfi protected it may trip.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:39 PM   #9

Depends on a number of factors including the age/quality of the house wiring - what else is going to be drawing power on the house circuit your using etc.

At my house using a 50 ft heavy gauge extension cord plugged into a house circuit that has no other load I can run my AC, fridge etc. - that's with fully charged batteries. At my mother in laws house I cannot run the AC unit.

I would urge you to invest in a Kill A Watt meter - just plug it into any RV outlet and you can measure the volts/amps your drawing from your friends power circuit - if you see it drop below 109 volts I would turn off the AC.
Old 02-13-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another thing to watch is to see what else is on the circuit...like refrigerators, freezers, washers, etc.

Ken
Old 02-13-2011, 07:23 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
On visit to DD -We plug our MH into 120volt 20 amp circuit, previous posts on checking voltage are right on. Minimum 108 volts is safe, 106 momentary is marginal, as voltage drops current and heat increase. If a motor sounds like it is lugging thats not good.
This time of year you probably won't need AC, but fridge, TV, lights and furnace okay (last 2 are DC). use propane for water heater.
The batteries on arrival should be charged from the engine alternator so not much to keep them charged, or not much draw once charged.
Big draw items are microwave, coffee pot, space heaters and Air Cond. Only use 1 at a time.
The longer the power cord, the more voltage drop before it gets to the RV...
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:29 PM   #12

Invest in a multi-meter voltmeter ($10). We plugged into a friends new house at a garage outlet and had problems. I got out the voltmeter and checked the outlet. It registered barely 108v. My friend was his own (cheap) contractor so there was something going on with the electrical system on the garage circuit. We found another plug at the side of his house which tested just fine.

Don
Old 02-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #13

Just so I have this straight. My 99 lapalma has 50 amp service. If, while in my driveway, I plug into a 15amp cord coming from my house, it will have enough power to charge my batteries, maybe run a few lights without problems. I don't want to run the ac, don't have a coffee maker and don't want to run the microwave. If I need any of the high power items, I'll run the gen.
The one thing I dwill run is the furnace. Just wonder how fast that draws the batteries down and if the 15a will keep up or catch up?
Old 02-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #14

Assuming your batteries have a good charge, and the charger won't be using a lot of current, you can run quite a bit on a 20A receptacle, including your A/C if needed. Here's some tips:

1) Make sure your batteries are fully charged so as to not draw a lot of the 20A current you're hooked up to.

2) Shed current where you can. Run the refrigerator off LP. Don't use the microwave or coffee maker (or electrical heater, hair dryer,etc)

3) You can run 1 AC as they usually only draw about 12amps each. Don't try to run both. Turn the second AC circuit breaker off to make sure it won't try to start.

Furnace runs off 12V. If your batteries are already charged, it doesn't take a lot of currrent to run the furnace and the charger keeping up with the battery.

You will be surprised what you can run off a 20A receptacle if you're careful. But try to make sure the 20A receptacle you're plugged into isn't also running any other loads in the house, such as a refrigerator in the garage, etc.

Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote