Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2011, 06:56 AM   #1

Plugging into home outlets

Called dealer and asked why my 04 Beaver Marquie would trip the house gfi when I plugged the coach in. He told me that I needed 30 amp outlet even if I wasn't trying to run anything. My question is "what if I ran an extension cord from one outlet and another from an outlet that wasn't on the same circuit and plugged them both into my splitter'? Would the coach draw 15 amps from each outlet or would it just kick the gfi on one?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2011, 07:33 AM   #2

There could be another problem if you try that. There is 220 volts cumming into the house.
If one outlet is on one side of the feeder and the second on the other side you could get 220 across the system !!! NOT GOOD.
I powered my Bounder for years from a 20 amp circuit with no problem. It was not connected to a GFI However.
Will the GFI reset once the plug has been plugged in? They trip at the slightest in balance.
I now have a 30 amp circuit mounted outside to power it up so we can use everything except 2 AC uints

Everyday is a gift. If you have not had a bad day,you will never know when you are having a good one.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:08 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
There could be another problem if you try that. There is 220 volts cumming into the house.
If one outlet is on one side of the feeder and the second on the other side you could get 220 across the system !!! NOT GOOD.
Not a problem at all, since the Beaver is a 50A coach. Standard RV 50A service is 220v

Quote:
Called dealer and asked why my 04 Beaver Marquie would trip the house gfi when I plugged the coach in. He told me that I needed 30 amp outlet even if I wasn't trying to run anything
Your dealer is wrong. You can run the coach on 20A or even15A, but you need to be careful about what appliances you turn on. With limited power, you can't just run everything on electric. Keep the fridge and water heater on propane, for example, and don't try to run anything else if you have an a/c running.

If the outlet GFCI trips when not using your splitter box, it is indicative of a problem in your coach wiring. It's not unusual for the electric heating element in the fridge to cause that, but it is still something that needs to be fixed. Sometimes an inverter/charger can cause it too, because of an improperly bonded neutral & ground.

Please describe your "splitter" better. I'm guessing you mean a junction box with a 50A female outlet and two power cords that you can plug to multiple outlets. If either of those outlets are a GFCI, it will trip. Every time. That's inherent in the design of the splitter - the two neutrals get tied together and each gets half the return current from the coach. The GFCI outlet does not see the expected amount of return current, so it trips (as it is designed to do).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As usual, the dealer does not what he is talking about. You can run a limited amount of the coach on a 15 or 20 amp home circuit. One thing that is overlooked is other loads in the home on that circuit...like a freezer in the garage.

In the coach, turn off the inverter, maybe unplug the converter and put the frig and water heater on gas rather than electric if so equipped.

A 15 amp circuit is marginal to run one roof top A/C or one compressor in a basement A/C. A 20 amp will carry one compressor.

Ken
Old 07-16-2011, 09:18 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Standard RV 50A service is 220v
Almost ALL 50-amp wired RV's use both sides of the service separately as 120 volt on each leg. Only a few mostly high-end coaches utilize the 240-volt from this same service.

50 Amp - the common four pin configuration used for larger RV's. The receptacles are ANSI/NEMA 14-50R and the plugs are ANSI/NEMA 14-50P.
The half round pin is ground, the blade directly across from it is Neutral, and the other two blades each have 120 Volts.

If wired per the National Electrical Code, the two 120 Volt feeds are of opposite phases so that you get 240 Volts when you read across them and 120 Volts between each of them and neutral or ground.

Each of the two power sockets can be wired to a 50 Amp breaker - for 240Volts, the two breakers are "ganged" (the handles are connected together) or are of a special design with only a single handle. However, some campgrounds may only have 30 or 40 Amp breakers on the power feeds to these receptacles.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 09:43 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Almost ALL 50-amp wired RV's use both sides of the service separately as 120 volt on each leg. Only a few mostly high-end coaches utilize the 240-volt from this same service.

50 Amp - the common four pin configuration used for larger RV's. The receptacles are ANSI/NEMA 14-50R and the plugs are ANSI/NEMA 14-50P.
The half round pin is ground, the blade directly across from it is Neutral, and the other two blades each have 120 Volts.

If wired per the National Electrical Code, the two 120 Volt feeds are of opposite phases so that you get 240 Volts when you read across them and 120 Volts between each of them and neutral or ground.
Gary's statement is correct. While many (I won't say most) coaches don't care if the service is actually 240v or not, the standard for that outlet (per the NEC) is 240v. If it's not, then the outlet is wiring incorrectly.

joe
Old 07-16-2011, 09:46 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Also, for the OP, our coach also trips GFI outlets, even 50amp (240v) ones. Most of the outlets in the Newmar High-Line service building are GFI, and we trip them every time. They have to plug us into one of the non-GFI outlets. We've never figured out exactly what's causing it, but then again we've never run into a GFI outlet anywhere else, so it's never been a priority.

joe
Old 07-16-2011, 11:21 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
My question is "what if I ran an extension cord from one outlet and another from an outlet that wasn't on the same circuit and plugged them both into my splitter'? Would the coach draw 15 amps from each outlet or would it just kick the gfi on one?
Short answer: NO,

Long answer: Given an electronics lab, it might be possible to do it, but this would amount to a lab experiment and you'd need lab grade hardware to set it up. So see short answer, the short answer is NO, it won't work.

The reason it trips a GFCI is that the GFCI is simple, THink about a GFCI, it's a balance, so long as the weight (Current) in each pan (The two legs, Hot and Neutral) is perfectly balanced the needle points to ZERO and the thing hangs in there, but let it get more than a tiny amount out of balance and CLICK, it protects you from shock by killing the circuit.

What are common sources of current passing to "Ground" instead of neutral:

Some converters can do it,, Some only do it if the batteries are either full or empty (one or the other usually)

If you have an inverter and the neutral and ground are not PROPERLY bonded, (That is bonded but not properly) it will do it.

I"ve heard of heater elements having a very slight short doing it.

And of course, there is the infernal wiring fault.

Start by turning off every breaker in your RV, then plug into the GFCI, Plug a common trouble light in alongside the RV (Same GFCI or into a cube tap down the line)

Now, one at a time turn on the breakers starting with the main,

When the light goes out, Post the list of things the last breaker operates to this forum for more information.

NOTE: Turn that breaker off, reset the GFCI, and continue till all breakers have been on ,,, Hopefully you will end up with only one breaker turned of.

If it's not the converter.. You are in luck.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYING BUTCH View Post
Called dealer and asked why my 04 Beaver Marquie would trip the house gfi when I plugged the coach in. He told me that I needed 30 amp outlet even if I wasn't trying to run anything. My question is "what if I ran an extension cord from one outlet and another from an outlet that wasn't on the same circuit and plugged them both into my splitter'? Would the coach draw 15 amps from each outlet or would it just kick the gfi on one?
Hi Flying Butch, I also have a 2004 beaver marquis and I have a similar problem althought it is related to a 20 amp non gfi 120 volt circuit. when I store the coach plugged in with inverter set to charge all bedroom breakers set off except for 50 amp main and inverter on for some unknown reason the breaker will trip during storage. The breaker will not trip right away something is going on with the inverter. I also have been able to use most of the appliances when plugged in with no problem. The problem seems to occur randomly related to some inverter event.
The down side of all this is when the inverter is set to charge and the power source is lost, my chassis batterys end up dead. It seems like the inverter is looking for power and sucks the chassis batteries dry.
As a result I don't store the coach plugged in, I disconnect coach and chassis batteries.

zzzs
Old 07-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #10

You all having Fun yet!!!
Started out with a simple Class C in 72, now up to the AD Class.
It was so simple in 72! Truck chassis with an engine,no emission systems,some wiring for the lights and a few switches on the dash.Coach had one 12 volt battery and maybe six 12 volt lights and a 12 volt air compressor for the water system,5 gallon potty,and a very small LP refrigerator with a zip tube to light it.
Now! There are air brakes,more fuses then I care to count,Engine with all kinds of electronics hanging of it,Lord knows how many relays, switches and miles of wire and pipes.
Add a complicate power plant,inverter/Charger,like 30 miles of 110 wiring,40 miles of 12 volt wiring, 5 to 10 miles of wiring for all the entertainment systems.
Then every whistle and bell one can imagine,with a kitchen to rival anything in a house.
We take it and bounce it over roads the shake the fillings out of our teeth and hope that it all keeps working.
When it brakes we have more manuals and drawings then we can carry let alone read in a reasonable time to try to figure out what happened.
To top it off No 2 Coach's even come close to being the same.

One really has to love traveling around in them and the patients to try to figure it all out. We put up with it because the view is just something special most of the time when the wheels stop.

Dick.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:08 PM   #11

I've had 4 5th wheels and only the last, an 05, would trip a GFI, when I took delivery of my coach and parked at a friends house, I was ready to run a cord out the garage window to by-pass the GFI, he said " No problem" he turned off the circuit breaker, I plugged the coach in , he turned on the circuit and we had un-interupted power for three days. We were running the charger only, everything else on propane. He has done this to power up 3 different units of his own and never had the GFI trip. Don't know the mechanics of it but it works, and at my house too.
Old 07-17-2011, 06:57 AM   #12

Thanks for all the info guys. Think I will try plugging into a onner house non GFI outlet with all the breakers off and then turn on one at a time. Thanks again everyone