Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2014, 09:22 PM   #15

We use a 20A receptacle to SP the MH and it's a GFI. It does the main A/C unit fine, and lights too. It doesn't do both A/C units.

No matter, we can keep the home cool during these grueling summers, and still have the refer cold by the time we want to go somewhere.

I use a 12/3 50' cord.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2014, 11:36 PM   #16

We have been plugging in to the carport circuit since purchasing our GT 18 months ago but do sometimes blow either the gfs or the breaker. The distance from our main breaker box to the MH is 25' plus the width of the coach. Fortunately I have a grandson that is an electrician so he utilized an unused circuit and a knockout plug to install a 30 amp plug on the bottom of the box. The MH is 50 amp but 30 guves me plenty of power for keeping things charged and running a small hearer or fan. I bought a 25' 30 amp extension.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:16 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by racersedge View Post
15 AMPs at best will run a converter to keep the batterys charged
If you were to try and run the fridge heaters(for cooling) and the converter at the same time on 15 amps I doubt it would work. use one or the other and DO not use a GFI protected outlet.It will not work.
That is simply NOT true!
Old 07-05-2014, 08:18 AM   #18

Triple E Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Plugging motorhome into house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racersedge View Post
If you were to try and run the fridge heaters(for cooling) and the converter at the same time on 15 amps I doubt it would work. use one or the other and DO not use a GFI protected outlet.It will not work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
That is simply NOT true!

I agree with Mel.
I have run the fridge and converter/inverter/charger in our MH while plugged into a 15 amp GFCI receptacle both at CGs and at home, when necessary. It is true that one has to monitor the load otherwise, to avoid tripping the breaker.
I have installed a 30 amp circuit/plug at home to reduce this possibility and to enable operating at least one of the A/C units without using the Genset. JFYI.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:40 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankdamp View Post
We plan to sell the MH after the end of this season as we really can't afford to run it any more. We started out with gas at $1.75, now closing on $4.00 and SP fees at $15 or less, now heading towards $35 and privately-owned CGs heading above $50. The MH gets about 8 mpg, so every mile costs 50 cents. A 10-day 1200-mile trip looms up at $600 or more for fuel and maybe $450 for CG fees. Propane is down in the white noise with these numbers!

Would hate to see you miss out in fun in the RV........maybe take some trips where you drive a lot less and stay at each stop longer (taking advantage of cheaper weekly rates).

Old 07-05-2014, 09:08 AM   #20

I would add to Cbones' comment that we use the 30amp adapter (dog bone shown in the link) to the garage 115w 20amp service and a 10ga extension cord with no problems for the refrigerator and all the house lights. We have tried the A/C, but the garage outlet trips after a few seconds of running. We can however, run the FAN w/o the compressor with no problem. We do plan to add a 30amp breaker and plug-in later this summer. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:25 AM   #21

On the advice of an experienced RV technician I decided not to test fate. He stated your coach has a 50 amp cord for a reason. For $150 I had an electrician install a 50 amp RV outlet. Now, no concerns and no worries. If you have the ability to have that done I would.
Old 07-05-2014, 09:39 AM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is a 20amp dedicated plug running to our back deck. It was installed and used for a 110v hot tub by the previous owners. We park our 50amp RV about 20 feet away. I made my own 20amp extension cord using heavy duty rubber coated wires from Home Depot. Using adapters I have made a dedicated cord to our RV. I can run the converter, fridge, and 1 A/C unit off the circuit. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404570996.841764.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	794.6 KB
ID:	66943Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1404571038.465311.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	735.6 KB
ID:	66944

I would love to one day put a 50 amp post near the RV but I'll add that to the list of many things I want to do.
Campbell5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:59 PM   #23

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I've run the refer and charger/converter plenty of times on a standard 20amp circuit from the house, even using a relatively long extension cord with no problems before I built my storage barn. When I built the barn I had a dedicated 50amp circuit put in so I can run A/C or anything else without worry.

To the OP.. you need one of these adapters as well as a 15amp grounded adapter just in case. We've been to plenty of state parks and older private parks without 50amp electric. Yes, you have to do a bit of power management (only 1 a/c at a time.. or no hair dryer while microwave is on for example), but you never know what you'll run into on the road.
Chuck&Pam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:22 AM   #24

Any time we head out for camping I bring the MH in the day before and plug it into a garage outlet. We turn on the fridge to cool. If I want to run A/C while we load I start the gen. I have started it two times while plugged in and it trips the GFI plug. I try to remember to unplug before I start the gen. After the fridge gets cold it might run one air unit but I have never needed to try it. If I owned the house I would install a 50 amp outlet by the garage door.
kb9tf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 12:17 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
hi, You can do most of what other members have told you. but if you have space in your breaker box add a 50 amp breaker run the wire and add a 50 receptacle . if its outside weather proof box . You can pick up the materials at Lowes or Home depot for under a 100.00 bucks .mines only 30 amps I leave it plugged in year round . My man cave , escape pod or guest room what ever is called for !Happy motoring!!!!!
Old 07-16-2014, 09:30 AM   #26

I reduced down to the 15 amp and plugged it into my outlet on my garage. The batteries are not charging and the refridge is running off the batteries. Any ideas why it is not working off the outlet.
Old 07-16-2014, 09:36 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by racersedge

MEL S reply quote:That is simply NOT true!

Yes it is 100% true. can not have the converter kick in to charge batterys,fridge heaters running for cooling and AC Kick on when warm on 15 amps and GFI out to GFI in will not work
Old 07-16-2014, 09:47 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrv831 View Post
Why not find an electrician to put a 50amp rv circuit in. I wired a 30amp circuit in my garage. Easy to do and no worries about overloading. As luck would have it the builder of my house already put in the conduit and box on the wall in the garage. The breaker panel was on the other side of the same wall about 3 feet away.

Attachment 66872

If you store your RV at your house you should consider installing either in the garage or a outdoor rated plug/box on the outside. Should cost much and you would have your rv ready any time

My 2 cents
X2...my son the electrician installed a dedicated 30amp outlet to the carport, we pull in and plug up.

FMCA F438950
AUPOP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome