Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2014, 08:41 AM   #43

well, when we get ready to go on a trip, i get the rv the evening before. since its always 100 degrees in texas, i run 1 ac and also the fridge to get things ready for the trip. the outlet that i plug into is a gfci 15 amp circuit shared with both the bathrooms and also the back outlet near our patio door. only time i have had a problem was when i forgot to turn the water heater off. for the life of me i couldn't figure out why the circuit kept tripping. i can run 1 ac, have the fridge on max (a norcold that gets below 20 in the fridge after 12 hours) and charge the 2 house batteries. the only other time the circuit has tripped is when either of my girls or wife decides to use the hairdryer in one of the bathrooms. just my 2 cents.....
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2014, 09:48 AM   #44

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd1960jd View Post
Why is paying $150 to have a dedicated outlet a bad idea. I had mine installed before they delivered the coach. Sounds like we are tripping over dollars to save dimes?
The other issue is the cost. You got it done for 150.00 I would expect to pay at least 1500.00 for that. 5 years ago I had a house fire in one of my rental houses. The electrician was going to have to run a new wire from the breaker box. Install 3 new smoke detectors, run wire and install 3 new electrical outlets. Install a new ceiling fan. Total cost of materials under 500.00 Time to do the work was going to be less than a day. It was 5000.00 to have it done. I live in the mountains and do not have to deal with city inspectors so I do work on my own house myself. My rental houses are in city limits and electrical work is very expensive.
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 10:02 AM   #45

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
racersedge
I use the 100A automatic 3 stage battery charger built into my Freedom 20 inverter/charger to charge and maintain my batteries.
If I use common sense electrical management I can camp/live in my 50A coach when connected to a 50, 30, 20, or a 15A campground receptacle with no electrical problems.
BTW the 15A garage receptacle that my coach is often/usually plugged into is a GFCI, (but the on board refrigerator receptacle is not a GFCI receptacle).
Is yours?
Mel
'96 Safari
IN my coach most of the receptacles that run off the inverter run through a GFI receptacle in the bedroom I have a residential refrigerator and it has to run off of the inverter through the GFI receptacle so that it can run while I am driving
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:24 AM   #46

Damon Owners Club
30amp to 20 amp receptacle

Not sure if this belongs here or if I should have begun a new thread:

We are full time in a 99 National, and often visit friends in our travels. Unlike RV parks, most folks only have a 20amp receptacle available, which is usually enough for us, until the weather gets hot and the a/c gets used.

We have the commonly available adapter to plug our 30amp cord into the 20amp recep, but noticed that while the adapters are marked and advertised as 20amp adapters, they are only rated for 15amps - and running an a/c unit alone will invariably overheat the adapter. For us, and I'm sure for others, the extra available amperage makes a big difference. If you apply the 80% rule for current draw the 15amp rating won't even support the a/c.

I found it odd that no one seems to stock - or make - a 20amp adapter that's rated for 20amp service. The RV cord is rated for 30, the recep (in most cases) is rated for 20, so the adapter becomes the "weak link" in the connection, and marketing it as a "20amp adapter" is misleading.

I made up an adapter using a 30amp female pigtail cord and a 20amp rated plug to be safer, and to prevent overheating of the adapter. (I know some 15s have melted)

Less than $20 for the pigtail and the plug, and 15 minutes to make it up. The pigtail was available at Camping World.
Mennoted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:37 AM   #47

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mennoted View Post

Not sure if this belongs here or if I should have begun a new thread:

We are full time in a 99 National, and often visit friends in our travels. Unlike RV parks, most folks only have a 20amp receptacle available, which is usually enough for us, until the weather gets hot and the a/c gets used.

We have the commonly available adapter to plug our 30amp cord into the 20amp recep, but noticed that while the adapters are marked and advertised as 20amp adapters, they are only rated for 15amps - and running an a/c unit alone will invariably overheat the adapter. For us, and I'm sure for others, the extra available amperage makes a big difference. If you apply the 80% rule for current draw the 15amp rating won't even support the a/c.

I found it odd that no one seems to stock - or make - a 20amp adapter that's rated for 20amp service. The RV cord is rated for 30, the recep (in most cases) is rated for 20, so the adapter becomes the "weak link" in the connection, and marketing it as a "20amp adapter" is misleading.

I made up an adapter using a 30amp female pigtail cord and a 20amp rated plug to be safer, and to prevent overheating of the adapter. (I know some 15s have melted)

Less than $20 for the pigtail and the plug, and 15 minutes to make it up. The pigtail was available at Camping World.
Great job and that's exactly what I would have done also.

Since my coach is 50 amps, I use a 30 amp to 50 amp adapter for sites that only supply 30 amps. However, when using a 20 amp outlet, I use a one piece molded 30 to 20 amp plug that has no cable.

Parallax 30 Amp F to 20 Amp M Adapter Plug - Adapters - Power Cords - Electrical

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:28 PM   #48

Plugging motorhome into house.

Here's how I do it...

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1408580878.859537.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	561.7 KB
ID:	71504

50 amp RV cable to a 50/30 adapter cable.

30 amp cable to a standard household 110 volt adapter plug with no cable.
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 06:43 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I use a one piece molded 30 to 20 amp plug that has no cable.
Dr4Film ----- Richard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post

Richard and Rich-n-Linda
No cable??
Are you referring to "one piece molded adapters"?

Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 08:35 AM   #50

Damon Owners Club
We're left with the same dilemma.

I looked at the link and what I saw was a "30amp to 20amp adapter". I couldn't see anywhere that the adapter was rated for 20amp load.

There's a big difference between a plug with a 20amp "configuration" (i.e. one that fits into a 20amp recep) and one with a 20amp service rating. All the ones I've seen are only rated for 15amps.
Mennoted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 09:45 AM   #51

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Richard and Rich-n-Linda
No cable??

Mel
'96 Safari
Mel,

Yes,

I own the one pictured on the far right. It came with the first coach I purchased, 1992 Airstream Land-Yacht, and a 30 foot 30 amp extension cable.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-21-2014, 09:54 AM   #52

Monaco Owners Club
I actually have 50 amp extension cords I use at the house and only have the 50 to 30 and 30 to 20 as the last pigtail....

that way the length (about 80 feet out to where I park) is mostly the bigger cord and there is less drop than using a small cord most of the way...

in the texas heat they actually coil up very easily !!! but they do get hot from the sun since they are black !!!
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:23 AM   #53

Why do I feel like I am the only one in the world without a 50A cord reel..... argh. envy....

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-n-Linda View Post
Here's how I do it...

Attachment 71504

50 amp RV cable to a 50/30 adapter cable.

akeyzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 10:38 AM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by akeyzoo View Post

Why do I feel like I am the only one in the world without a 50A cord reel..... argh. envy....

Chris
Chris,

If you do decide to install one, I would suggest to only look at the one made by Glendinning.

CRR-50 - Glendinning Products, LLC.

Any of the others are junk and WILL have problems with the electrical slip rings.

I have their 50 amp accumulator which is not a reel, it simply pinches the cord to assist in deploying or retracting.

RLC - Glendinning Products, LLC.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 08-21-2014, 03:17 PM   #55

National RV Owners Club
Cheaper than running the generator

Just adding my 2 cents here: We recently had solar panels added to our roof, and household electrical system. While they were at it I had a 30 amp. dedicated circuit put in next to the main 200 amp. panel. I can now run one ac unit, charge the house batteries and run the fridg./freezer on our 2002 Tradewinds LTC, and still have negative impact on the electric bill. The electrician charged me $60 for the outlet/breaker and installation. Sure saves running the generator, and not tripping any 20 amp. house breakers.
Macstromer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 03:27 PM   #56

Quote:
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Richard and Rich-n-Linda
No cable??

Mel
'96 Safari

Yes...a one-piece 30 amp to 20 amp adapter like you have pictured...except mine is yellow! ;-)

Rich & Linda
'06 Mandalay 40E
Freightliner XC-R chassis
Cummins 400 HP ISL
Rich-n-Linda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome