Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2014, 07:31 PM   #1

Plugging RV into the house

We just bought a 1995 Thor residency We would like plug it into the house and run it of our electricity while it's in the driveway my big question is what is the best way to Do thisthank you so much for any info you can provide
lost024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2014, 07:41 PM   #2

In you are plugging it in to just run refrigerator, or do some cleaning, you can usually get away with a 20 amp adapter. However if you are going to run the A/C, microwave, hotwater heater or other high demand items, you will most likely want to install a 30 or 50 amp connector.

We bought a 30 amp outlet and box for less than $100. I ran the wire and mounted the box then had a local electrician come tie it in. He charged $50. So for less than $150 we can plug in and have everything working.

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 07:44 PM   #3

Lost024, I put a 30amp receptacle for our travel trailer, it had its own breaker and all. I only ran my a/c from time to time and it pulled less than 20amps on start up. Now, on our 97 Vectra,I made sure that I have a 20amp standard house type receptacle. I use a 12ga 3conductor drop cord now. I've ran the a/c and fridge, tv, for the kids, no problems, and no overheating of the cord.
LNDIXON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 08:33 PM   #4

Just remember that a 30 amp RV plug is 120 volts and not 220 volts. If you get an electrician be sure he knows how to wire for a RV.
Old 05-25-2014, 08:53 PM   #5
rpk

Extension Cord

If you do use an extension cord for rv power, make sure it is 20 amp cord. I had a lighter cord on a reel feeding the bus and it melted the insulation because it was on a reel.
rpk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpk View Post
If you do use an extension cord for rv power, make sure it is 20 amp cord. I had a lighter cord on a reel feeding the bus and it melted the insulation because it was on a reel.
Glad you're pointing this out, been there done that
Old 05-25-2014, 09:59 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I added a 30A outlet to the front of the garage where I park my motorhome. Actually, when I ran the wire I used a wire suitable for a 50A outlet. If my next motorhome requires a 50A service, all I have to do is replace the 30A plug with a 50A plug, and change the breaker in the electrical panel. Til then, each end of the extra wire is capped. Yep, all work was signed-off by an electrical inspector. Did it all for under $100.
Pexring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:07 AM   #8

Any 110v outlets in the garage walls or exterior of the house will most likely be on a GFIC and only supply 15 amps of service. This is ok if only running the refer and lights. I have found that if there is a garage door opener, the plug in the ceiling is not GFCI and will supply more amps. As stated, use a heavy 20 amp extension cord if needed but no extension is best. Save yourself headaches later an get a 30 or 50 amp plug installed on the house or in the garage.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:39 AM   #9

If you are going to be rving for a long time, be safe and spend the money to have the appropriate work done by an electrician. If you can do it ok, but, if you screw up and burn your house down, well .... Think insurance liability, browning/burning out motors and compressors, electrical fires, etc. Good idea to spend for heavier duty 50 amp type wire, even if you have a 30 amp rig. If you look around on this forum you will find many disasters and near misses with shore power episodes.
dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:34 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by waroland View Post
Just remember that a 30 amp RV plug is 120 volts and not 220 volts. If you get an electrician be sure he knows how to wire for a RV.
AMEN! Went through three residential electricians before I found one that KNEW that 50 amp RV is different than a stove connection.
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 04:52 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
I installed a 50 Amp RV service in our garage. I bought the box and breaker from Home Depot that was specifically for a RV. There was some good wiring diagrams on the internet and I did ask my electrician for confirmation on how I had it wired. It was actually very strait forward, having 50 Amp service when I am packing up or washing the coach is so nice to have.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:24 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For limited electrical use (Battery charger, Fridge, and possible ONE A/C when loading, or (not and) a vacuum cleaner)

12 ga extension cord and a puck style 30 (or 50) to 15 adapter.. I like the 12 ga cords from Sears/K-Mart with the push button on the outlet end that you push to plug in and unplug. (locks the adapter on.

For a 50 amp rig in a 30 amp site or a 30 amp rig on a 50-only site (There is one of those in this park, 2 in fact) A DOG-BONE adapter, this is a short cord with the needed plug and socket.

Readdy Kilowatt's rules

On 20 amp, one Big ticket item only, DO NOT turn on AC, Water heater, or Microwave, DO NOT try vacuuming rig, with low batteries, Leave plugged in at least overnight before using these devices.

on 30 amp.. You may use one of the above immed, Two once the batteries are well fed.

50 amp All the electric you can eat.
Old 05-26-2014, 05:43 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
http://www.rvpowerprotection.com/Lin...%20Service.pdf

A nice summary of 50amp.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 05:56 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by lost024 View Post
We just bought a 1995 Thor residency We would like plug it into the house and run it of our electricity while it's in the driveway my big question is what is the best way to Do thisthank you so much for any info you can provide

What do you intend to run off while connected? Knowing that will give us an idea of what you would need. If you want to run air conditioners and microwave then you probably need the 50 amp but if you are only running lower power draw appliances you can get by with less. At home we do not use the high power appliances so a standard 120 volt outlet is sufficient.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote