Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Plumbers' putty? REALLY?!?!

As I continue with the restoration/refurbishing of our MH, I come across things that make me tilt my head like the RCA dogs listening to the victrola, and say "[moderator edit] were you thinking?"

Last weekend was one such episode....

The front clearance marker lights on the roofline of the RV were tattered, cracked, faded, and just generally looked like crap. I thought about replacing them with LED's, but I am not prepared financially to make that kind of conversion yet. So, replacement incandescents was the choice. Fortunately, my local RV parts supplier had 5 brand new lenses, gaskets, bulbs & bases that matched what was on the coach already. Add to that, I found them all in the discount bin, for 25% off the original price.

I snagged a few more odds & ends while I was there, and planned out my plan of attack..... Do them one at a time, so if I got caught in a rain shower over the weekend, I had to cover one hole, rather than 5 along the roofline.

Starting with the passenger side of the coach, I pulled the first one out, which was as brittle as eggshells, and fell apart in my hands. I replaced it and reconnected the new base to the wiring and tested for operation before reassembling. Everything looked fine.

The cluster of 3 lights in the center of the roof was a different story....

The screw heads all stripped out, which left me sliding a putty knife under the edge of the lens and twisting... *CRACK!!* Then using a pari of channel-lock's unscrewed the screws that I was now able to get a good grip on. Then I saw it...

The lens gaskets had failed long ago, and the PO used plumbers putty to seal around the holes to reduce the amount of water that came in. (Notice I said "reduce", and not "prevent")

This stuff was the gummiest, gooiest, stickiest, nastiest stuff I had ever had the misfortune of working with. I ended up spraying goo-gone on the area and scraped everything off. It was NASTY, not to mention, completely ineffective in waterproofing the front light assemblies.

I cleaned up the area, connected the new lights, tested them and reassembled using the foam gaskets provided for a MUCH cleaner look as you can see in the before & after photos....

Even after cleaning all of the electrical terminals and replacing a battery cable or two, I wasnt as dirty as I was after replacing 5 clearance marker lights.

Yowzers!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0742.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	255.9 KB
ID:	40527   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0743.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	262.2 KB
ID:	40528  

jnp_macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #2

The continuing story of " grab and use what you have handy , rather than drive and get what you should be using" I'm sure that your going to find many more instances of this attitude as you continue to restore your unit.

Old 06-11-2013, 12:15 PM   #3

Be happy they were not Lexan plastic. They will not break . Beat on them with a hammer and they will not break.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:04 PM   #4

I don't think what you encountered was plumber's putty. It dries out and gets brittle after a few years. I think what you had was butyl tape that done its job. Butyl tape ages and cracks eventually, but it stays soft and gooey and messy for a very long time.
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 08:26 PM   #5

^^^^^What he said.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:41 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
....I think what you had was butyl tape that done its job. Butyl tape ages and cracks eventually, but it stays soft and gooey and messy for a very long time.
Whatever it was, I hope I don't come across any more of it, anytime soon.
jnp_macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 09:44 PM   #7

I think he might have ran into dicor.

Also if you have a screw in the top of the lens cover bolt with silicone.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #8

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
On our rig I can buy new lenses for about $7 each, or new LED's complete with lenses and bulbs for $6 each. New LED's are more trouble as I have to wire them in but it's on my list to do.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote