Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2019, 09:59 PM   #29

Wow I think they need to redo the patent and include you
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2019, 10:00 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav L View Post
Newmar uses a patented flex joint for the sink drain in the slide that has broken twice so far. I modified it and put more flex in the system and my fingers are crossed. Also upgraded the light duty black pipe to schedule 40 white standard plumbing parts.
DAV L. Wow I think they need to redo the patent and include your change $$$$$
Old 12-06-2019, 04:51 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanddog00 View Post
DAV L. Wow I think they need to redo the patent and include your change $$$$$
their design isn't bad, it's their choice of materials. I suspect their patent is about a rotating sleeve that allows that slide to go in / out. That sleeve is connected to "spa" piping that allows for a free form bend that has some flexibility to "roll out" for when the slide is out, and "roll in" for when the slide is retracted. The problem I have found is that spa pipe is still a little rigid and the PVC fitting it is connected to, cracks. I just used a flexible rubber joint between the spa pipe and the fixed PVC. Not a patent worthy thing. More of a DIY workaround.

Brings to mind my neighbors log cabin. The plumbing is sleeved to collapse as the logs dry out and shrink. The roof is then closer to the ground after a few years. The sleeves keep the plumbing from cracking under that immense pressure.
Old 12-06-2019, 06:03 PM   #32

I am in the middle of replacing my flex spa hose in my sink drain. I am having a hard time finding a hose that is less rigid and has a bend radius for the space i have to work with.
Old 12-06-2019, 07:47 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftodaro View Post
I am in the middle of replacing my flex spa hose in my sink drain. I am having a hard time finding a hose that is less rigid and has a bend radius for the space i have to work with.
Home Depot sells the spa hose...but yes, its a bit rigid. I even tried heating it to put a bend in it. Didn't work well. I also put a 22.5 elbow in the system but then the spa hose would have to do a backwards bend when the system was expanded.

If my rubber fitting doesn't do the job, I was going to try a radiator hose next which is more pliable. You can find straight hose at a good NAPA.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:31 PM   #34

Had 2 Fleetwood motorhomes with kitchens in the slides. Never a problem. The second one, a Revolution LE we had for 9 years and 90,000 miles including 3 trips driving to Alaska, and never had any plumbing problems. Now we have a Newmar LE with the kitchen in the slide. Had this coach for almost 6 years and almost 50,000 miles, and have not had any plumbing problems.

Ed Headington
Ed Headington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 01:51 AM   #35

This kind of issue may not show up until the rv is 15 years old. Everyone who has a fairly new rv is not likely to have this problem yet. This would be caused by many repeated opening and closing of the slides. I would be almost more concerned with a propane line flexing many hundreds of times.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:18 PM   #36

Quote:
Home Depot sells the spa hose...but yes, its a bit rigid. I even tried heating it to put a bend in it. Didn't work well. I also put a 22.5 elbow in the system but then the spa hose would have to do a backwards bend when the system was expanded.

If my rubber fitting doesn't do the job, I was going to try a radiator hose next which is more pliable. You can find straight hose at a good NAPA.
I have found a few different type hoses online. The first one i tried was just to rigid. I have a different option on order. If I find a good option, i will post it otherwise i will use the spa hose again its just not a good choice for the job. I will reinforce the joints with a piece of wood and radiator hose clamps.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:38 PM   #37

2002 Monaco Executive with kitchen slide. We had the sink drain leak, water ran down onto the transfer switch and caused it to malfunction.

We bought this RV used and upon doing the repair it appeared that this drain was improperly repaired prior to our purchase. We repaired it and never had a problem with it again. The transfer switch ...we had to take the cover off and used a hair dryer to dry it out. That took care of that issue.
grldst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:39 PM   #38

Quote:
their design isn't bad, it's their choice of materials. I suspect their patent is about a rotating sleeve that allows that slide to go in / out. That sleeve is connected to "spa" piping that allows for a free form bend that has some flexibility to "roll out" for when the slide is out, and "roll in" for when the slide is retracted. The problem I have found is that spa pipe is still a little rigid and the PVC fitting it is connected to, cracks. I just used a flexible rubber joint between the spa pipe and the fixed PVC. Not a patent worthy thing. More of a DIY workaround.

Brings to mind my neighbors log cabin. The plumbing is sleeved to collapse as the logs dry out and shrink. The roof is then closer to the ground after a few years. The sleeves keep the plumbing from cracking under that immense pressure.
When you say flexible coupling, are you referring to a "no-hub coupling"?Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20191208-193909_Chrome.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	268964
Old 12-09-2019, 08:14 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Yung2 Quit View Post
When you say flexible coupling, are you referring to a "no-hub coupling"?Attachment 268964
Yes, that's similar to what I now have in use (so far, so good with limited use).

Note that I also replaced all the black PVC with stronger schedule 40 PVC so since I already was replacing all that, I put the right fittings on to support the rubber coupling and used the PVC to make up for the new spa / coupling hose lengths so nothing binds and the spa / coupling hose is as long as possible to give more gentle flex across it's length, without binding.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:42 AM   #40

This picture shows the brass flexible coupler in the sink drain in our coach. It rotates when the slide is extended (shown) and retracted in conjunction with the flexible drain hose.

The water supply hoses and PEX lines have enough flex that a flex coupler is not needed. Click image for larger version

Name:	CameraZOOM-20190730131831231.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	269009
Old 12-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #41

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Plumbing In Slides

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatChance View Post
This picture shows the brass flexible coupler in the sink drain in our coach. It rotates when the slide is extended (shown) and retracted in conjunction with the flexible drain hose.

The water supply hoses and PEX lines have enough flex that a flex coupler is not needed. Attachment 269009

Where is the Fernco piece, or equivalent, in this picture.
AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 06:28 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Where is the Fernco piece, or equivalent, in this picture.
There is not one in this setup. With this setup, the flexible coupling (the brass coupling in the picture) flexes in a rotational motion instead of a lateral motion.

Tags
plumbing, slide