RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2019, 07:01 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Plumbing In Slides

Those who have plumbing in the slides (propane stove, water lines for the sink), how trouble free are they. It would seem to me that they would be more prone to leaks in these lines from as a result of the flexing, as the slide moves in and out. It seems as there are very few floor plans these days that don't have this. What has been your experience? I am particularly interested in hearing from those who have owned there rig for more than 4-5 years. Also how problematic is the weight of the refrigerator in the slide?

AbdRahim is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2019, 07:46 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdRahim View Post
Those who have plumbing in the slides (propane stove, water lines for the sink), how trouble free are they. It would seem to me that they would be more prone to leaks in these lines from as a result of the flexing, as the slide moves in and out. It seems as there are very few floor plans these days that don't have this. What has been your experience? I am particularly interested in hearing from those who have owned there rig for more than 4-5 years. Also how problematic is the weight of the refrigerator in the slide?
Can’t speak for all manufacturers, but the way mine is plumbed, there is very little, if any, increased risk of leaks, save for a sink drain line in this particular brand, and that is remedied by a new, more flexible drain hose. The water lines are all PEX with plenty of sweep and slack to accommodate the movement of the slide. The gas lines are hoses, up to the stove and water heater direct feeds, and are also routed with sweep and slack. Naturally, something that moves has a higher theoretical risk of failure than something that doesn’t, but when I read of plumbing failures, it’s rarely from slide movement unless there was a factory installation error.

My previous coach, a 2007 vintage, had the refrigerator on the slide. Never was an issue but, again, every manufacturer has a different level of design and build of the slide.

In short, if you go with a mid to high level coach, there should be no increased risk of failure with plumbing in the slide, IMO.

Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:06 PM   #3

I have had mine for three years it is 7 years old. No problem with electrical or plumbing in slides. It has a residential fridge in a slide too. No problem with that slide.
iowaone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:22 PM   #4

Mine is 20 years old and no issues. (Knock on wood)
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 09:43 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
'02 built in Aug '01 that has electric, both 110vac and 12vdc, gas, hot&cold water plus drains. No problems at all.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:45 PM   #6

Triple E Owners Club
Warned against

Just sayin’

My buddy Paul has a 2000 National Tradewinds DP with a kitchen sink slide. He is meticulous about maintenance. He’s also had nothing but problems with the plumbing aspect of that slide. Leaks, breaks in lines, name it.
Perhaps it may be a design/brand specific issue, but he said never again would he go that route.
Personally, I can’t see moving plumbing parts being an engineering accomplishment that one would want to have on a RV.

JMHO and the experience of a great friend and long time RVer.

Cheers

DJ
Old 12-03-2019, 10:00 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
2002 Dutch Star, in 13 years we never had one problem with any of the connections in the slide
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 10:07 PM   #8

I have had my 1999 endeavor only since March, but see no indication of any issues with the sink or stove connections in the slide....and I have been elbows deep in it removing the carpet and tile replacing with vinyl plank.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:41 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
A lot depends on how well the lines are supported and how good (expensive) the track is that supports them. The pvc sink drain line was missing one strap on my 04 Dynasty so it broke. Added the strap 12 years ago and no more problems.
Old 12-04-2019, 09:28 AM   #10

My first coach had no slides & I had one water leak. Second coach two slides & I had one water leak. Current coach has three slides & I had one water leak so far. I've been very lucky, each was very small and saw it early, & fix was simply tightening a connection. Leak last summer with current coach was the scariest. I was deep under the kitchen sink trouble shooting a subwoofer that Newmar placed waaay back under the sink in the slide. I found wet floor that I never would have found otherwise. It's wise to inspect where you can from time to time as a leak can be very small but unchecked will be a problem. But I'm not nervous & I wouldn't change a thing. If it wasn't for multiple deep slides we likely wouldn't still be RVing.
twojayhawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:13 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Different year kitchen slides are explained in this link, most plumbing, electrical, gas lines have been improved over the years by this MFG and my 1998 coach never had a problem in these area's because these items were really thought out for potential problems when designed.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 10:36 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

I had a 2002 coach (also a National RV model!) where the factory failed to leave enough slack in the sink drain line and it soon cracked at the fixed connection. I extended that line by a few inches and had no further problems in 5 years. My next coach had the entire galley in a large slide and never had a problem in 12 years.

I do a lot of my own work and am familiar with the wiring in plumbing in my rigs. I see no technical challenge in having wiring and plumbing in a slide, but the hit or miss quality record of RV factories is maybe a cause for paying some extra attention to it. However, the benefits of having plumbing or wiring in slides far outweighs the small risks (in my opinion, anyway).
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 03:59 PM   #13

Newmar uses a patented flex joint for the sink drain in the slide that has broken twice so far. I modified it and put more flex in the system and my fingers are crossed. Also upgraded the light duty black pipe to schedule 40 white standard plumbing parts.
Old 12-04-2019, 04:40 PM   #14

I don't have plumbing in my slide, but my friends kitchen was in his slide, and the drain broke and leaked. I prefer one big slide at the front on the drivers side. The kitchen can be stationary on the passenger side. No moving parts in the kitchen or fridge area. A passenger slide in the kitchen area cuts into the awning area outside, and makes getting into the cargo bays harder if the slide is out. I have friends that have the kitchen slide on the passenger side, and never put it out for this reason. Im sure not everyone will agree, but why have drains and water lines flexing all the time to gain 12 inches of floor space. Just put a bigger slide on the other side instead. It would be different if the slide was 36 inches wide, but they seldom are much more than 12 inches under the awning. Whats the point I say.

Tags
plumbing, slide