Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 12-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
Plumbing Issue

Hello, everybody
I need some expert advise!
I just discovered that when I use my kitchen sink the water backs up in my shower and it takes forever to drain. I have used RV chemicals, drain liquid, and the RV drain wand that you use down the toilet to soften things up down there but these solutions did not work. I was then using the bathroom sink to get rid of dirty water but now it is backing up in the shower. I do not know where the clog is but would like to figure out how to resolve this very annoying problem. My next thought was to put hydrochloric acid down all of the drains but that may harm the pipes? Any ideas?

saturnxjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2014, 04:59 PM   #2
The only time I see water back up in the shower is if my grey tank is full. Have you dumped the grey tank?

To be able to help, folks will need to know what kind of rig you have.

tkcas01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:00 PM   #3
Sounds like your grey water tank is full! Make sure it is empty before you go any further.
mdpuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:11 PM   #4
You might try pouring some boiling or very hot water down the sink. If there's grease build up in the line, it might help loosen it up.
The lines should all be plastic so I doubt acid would hurt, but I'm no chemical expert so I couldn't comment on that.
2005 Newmar Dutch Star 4024
Pulling my 2012 Malibu w/Blue OX & Patriot brake unit
HicksRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #5
A friend had the same issue. Turns out his drain pipe extended too far into the gray tank. When the water level reached the bottom of the pipe, more water could not enter the tank faster than air was forced out the roof vent. Made for very slow sunk drain.
Rbhein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #6
1987 Sprinter by Mallard Chevy 454 engine 28 ft
Old 12-03-2014, 06:36 PM   #7
I think it is empty, that is I pulled the handle to let it out and nothing comes out. But maybe the clog is there and will only let some water out?
Old 12-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #8

OK, run 10 gallons of water down your shower or sinks drains and then pull the lever to empty the water.

Either it empties quickly or it doesn't. You've ID'd the area of blockage.

IF it empties properly, you've eliminated the Gray as the trouble-maker.

Pour 5 gallons down the toilet and repeat the drill. Let us know the results.
Rick and Sandy
2003 American Eagle, 46K miles
...from Sept 2015
bamaboy473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:42 PM   #9
I am going to try boiling water and see if it works.
Old 12-04-2014, 10:26 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The rod may not be attached to the valve blade anymore. The reason no water comes out when you pull the handle.
Chuck & Teri, 1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53 Chassis with tag axle, Chassis build date 1/99 in Mexico, Banks System, Trans Command, Air Lift Air Bags on rear, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars front and rear, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2013 VW Passat TDI SEL Premium, 1994 36 ft. Avion 5th Wheel. FMCA #F430129
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 05:55 AM   #11
Commercial Member
Hi Saturn,

Have you been leaving your grey valve open all the time? If so, then you are badly plugged up with grey sludge. Now you can check if you have a vent problem by climbing up on the roof to see if the vent has slide down and also make darn sure the grey handle rod is still connected to the dump valve. If those areas look normal then your just plugged and need to do a lot of Back-Flushing. If you are not near an area that offers mobile Hydro-Cleaning then there is a device called a "Flush King" offered by Camping World that does a great back-flushing. The cost is about $59.00
06 HR Navigator 45'PBQ Detroit 60 / 2011 Ford Edge
USAF 72-82 A1E/A1H(SkyRaider) DW Retired Nurse
niceguy9605 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:35 PM   #12
I have a clear tube with a hose attachment and opened one side and closed the other and visa versa and shot water up each way but water still comes up in the shower. I also used a wand down the toilet but that did not work either. I am goinr to check what you said and see that will solve the problem. If not I guess I need to get it professionally cleaned or try the flush king. I will write back what happened.
Old 12-05-2014, 01:07 PM   #13
You can buy a drain snake at the nearest hardware store for less than twenty dollars. First run it down the shower drain and see of that doesn't pull out a nasty clog, if that doesn't work disconnect your drain hose and try going up the grey water drain if it hits a stop right away your valve is closed and probably needs repaired or replaced. Be careful if it's not the valve you may loosen up a plugged pipe and get a blast of nasty water.
Good luck let us know what you find.
Elf111 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 04:41 PM   #14
Is the sink you are talking about in the bath or kitchen? Does it matter which one you use or does it backup when you use either? If both backup in the shower then it sounds like your grey tank is full if only the bathroom sink then it sounds like it is that drain.

Garymac is offline   Reply With Quote